Mindo2019

Worried! Bringing my mom here and affraid to get denied

111 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Somebody of this age has a life expectancy of 90, well I made a few assumptions but it is going to be there or there about.

So assuming we take the retired comment seriously the OP will have nearly 40 years to fund their mother, we can discuss actual costs but going to be over a Million in current values.

I have seen people discuss wanting to retire to the US on other forums, now they have been Millionaires, however here the Mother is totally dependent on others.

So the comment was made that they have done the numbers and can afford it, I suggest including these calculations so the CO can see that you have seriously considered the consequences.

Makes me wonder what the plan is when leaving children behind, presumably she intend to get here and then sponsor them to immigrate?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I’m confused as to whether she works or not. In one post the mother is a retiree and in another she is a freelancer. 

In any event, it’s ambitious at best to assume that someone of 53 can walk into the country with little or no English and no previous work experience and find a job immediately. There will almost certainly be a period of time where full support from the petitioner will be required. 

How id the job market where you live? Usually the cost of living correlated with the job market, so in areas where people proudly say they can support a family of 5 on a modest income it’s usually the case that the job market is weak there. Areas with high costs of living (such as Seattle) have s strong job market. The salaries mentioned by the OP would be on the low side for economically strong areas. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Somebody of this age has a life expectancy of 90, well I made a few assumptions but it is going to be there or there about.

So assuming we take the retired comment seriously the OP will have nearly 40 years to fund their mother, we can discuss actual costs but going to be over a Million in current values.

I have seen people discuss wanting to retire to the US on other forums, now they have been Millionaires, however here the Mother is totally dependent on others.

So the comment was made that they have done the numbers and can afford it, I suggest including these calculations so the CO can see that you have seriously considered the consequences.

Makes me wonder what the plan is when leaving children behind, presumably she intend to get here and then sponsor them to immigrate?

Lol. That is what I was I talking about. How people can do 40 years of predictions. By these criteria, from now on , only parents who a million will be approved. lol. Why they will emigrate to USA when they are millionaires at home

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

My 3rd sibling is in college, and he is in some sort of path that when he graduate he will get a job right away either in Thailand or Australia (or any other country really). His college is own by the government and it is hard to get into. My point is, no. He will not migrate to the US because he has his own plan.

My 4th sibling however, yes. My mom plan to work and see where she stands after ROC. If she can support him, then she will bring my youngest sibling. If not, then she will continue support him from the US (and with me ofc). I will not let any of my siblings suffer. Especially if I can help him to get by. At least help him financially from here.

4/19/19: Sending Package to USCIS

5/8/19: NOA1 (USCIS received)

10/3/19: NOA2 (USCIS Approved)

10/10/19: Case sent to NVC

10/22/19: NVC received

11/14/19: Received invoice number and case number and pay AOS + IV bill

11/18/19: Completed DS-260

11/19/19: Submit AOS + IV package to NVC for review (hit the 7 months mark!)

11/21/19: All documents are accepted except tax transcripts. Re-upload it and now upload 1 year per document section.

01/22/20: Document Qualified. NVC send it over to embassy for obtaining interview date.

02/12/20: NVC completed the case. Now the status is in transit to US embassy (Jakarta-Indonesia)

03/05/20: Medical Exam

03/26/20: Interview date!💖 (canceled due to Covid-19 until further notice)

02/25/21: Embassy emailed that they resume IR5 visa

03/01/21: Another medical exam since the last one expired in September 2020

03/15/21: Interview date!🤩 Result: 221G because my mom forget the original doc for my dad's death decree + she needs to redone her photo

03/16/21: submit the necessary paperwork + photo

03/17/21: Status change to administrative processing

03/18/21: Status change to issued. Waiting for email from the embassy for pick up

03/20/21: VISA IS READY!

03/25/21: Fly to US

51 minutes ago, sol_sol said:

Thats not right response. If that is the criteria then only families who earn half a million will be approved. If a family earns 90k, that means a take home of around 5500 per month. Even if they spend 1200 on their mom healthcare , here will be still 4300. And you can live comfortably over it in many parts of USA. 

My father has been chronically ill for the past year, in and out of hospital, surgery, rehab. (And he has always been totally fine health wise until the last couple of years.) Luckily he worked long enough and has Medicare.  His bills would have been in the hundreds of thousands of dollars without that. Just some context for you. This is just stuff that happens when you get old. Average annual healthcare costs in 2010 (will be higher now) for someone aged 65 were over $18k  per year. https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/health-care/elderly-medical-spending-medicare/

its ok for those who qualify for Medicare because it pays most of it, but for those who don’t...

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JFH said:

I’m confused as to whether she works or not. In one post the mother is a retiree and in another she is a freelancer. 

In any event, it’s ambitious at best to assume that someone of 53 can walk into the country with little or no English and no previous work experience and find a job immediately. There will almost certainly be a period of time where full support from the petitioner will be required. 

How id the job market where you live? Usually the cost of living correlated with the job market, so in areas where people proudly say they can support a family of 5 on a modest income it’s usually the case that the job market is weak there. Areas with high costs of living (such as Seattle) have s strong job market. The salaries mentioned by the OP would be on the low side for economically strong areas. 

She is offically housewife, but when the community needs her then she get the job done. I think this is like volunteer fireman but she still get paid for whatever she did. 

Job market: My husband works for oil company, and we are lucky to live in the area that is cheap enough compare to Seattle or LA. I work as an accounting assistant as for right now. Will graduate next year, and this is why I said I will at least get $40K/year in my area. I am planning to continue my degree as well so hopefully three to five years from now we will make somewhere in 150k/year range combined.

11/21/19: All documents are accepted except tax transcripts. Re-upload it and now upload 1 year per document section.

01/22/20: Document Qualified. NVC send it over to embassy for obtaining interview date.

02/12/20: NVC completed the case. Now the status is in transit to US embassy (Jakarta-Indonesia)

03/15/21: Interview date!🤩 Result: 221G because my mom forget the original doc for my dad's death decree + she needs to redone her photo

03/18/21: Status change to issued. Waiting for email from the embassy for pick up

5 minutes ago, sol_sol said:

Lol. That is what I was I talking about. How people can do 40 years of predictions. By these criteria, from now on , only parents who a million will be approved. lol. Why they will emigrate to USA when they are millionaires at home

Did you miss the key bits in the uscis extract I posted above, which focus on the actual immigrant and their own position about working or not working? It’s going to focus less on whether the family can sponsor them and more on whether the intending immigrant can be able to support themselves, and I think this is totally fair and the right way to go. You don’t need to be a millionaire at all, you just need to show you have been able to hold down a job and support yourself decently and they will be much more prepared to believe you can continue to do that whe you move to the US.

2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

My father has been chronically ill for the past year, in and out of hospital, surgery, rehab. (And he has always been totally fine health wise until the last couple of years.) Luckily he worked long enough and has Medicare.  His bills would have been in the hundreds of thousands of dollars without that. Just some context for you. This is just stuff that happens when you get old. Average annual healthcare costs in 2010 (will be higher now) for someone aged 65 were over $18k  per year. https://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/health-care/elderly-medical-spending-medicare/

its ok for those who qualify for Medicare because it pays most of it, but for those who don’t...

That is why I put 1200 per month for a person who is 53. It becomes 15000 per year. A family who earns 90k will afford it according to my math in my post.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
44 minutes ago, sol_sol said:

A humble question to all the philosophers on this site... How can you forecast 20-25 years in advance? Do you use any special binoculars?

No one here can

no one can even guarantee the petitioner will outlive and be able to support the beneficary 

this is what the embassy staff has to decide 

and I am sure it will be more of a dilemma to them

it will be another rule they have not been trained to handle like the ds5535 and all those cases sitting in embassies waiting for something to happen

2 minutes ago, sol_sol said:

That is why I put 1200 per month for a person who is 53. It becomes 15000 per year. A family who earns 90k will afford it according to my math in my post.

Your math seems to forget “deductibles”. And is already in shortfall on a ten year old number that will certainly be higher by now.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, sol_sol said:

There are a lot of variables which must be considered.......like debt to income ration........With the Mother, it will be a family of 6 to support.  Hopefully, the OP has considered all those variables......

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

This is something that can happen anytime, anywhere. Regardless of age. When you sick, then you sick. Should not be something that the CO use to determine the approval/denial. In Michigan, you will not able to get public assistance if you do not meet the criteria. One of the medicaid criteria is to live in Michigan for at least 5 years. Medicare: you have to be in certain age. This is why I also support my mom if she wants to go get some job because it will help her in the future ;)

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

No one here can

no one can even guarantee the petitioner will outlive and be able to support the beneficary 

this is what the embassy staff has to decide 

and I am sure it will be more of a dilemma to them

it will be another rule they have not been trained to handle like the ds5535 and all those cases sitting in embassies waiting for something to happen

This is a joke...I can guarantee that my mom will be at least taking care of because of million of dollars life insurance that I have.LOL

I missed the “humble question” about forecasting into the future, which I presume was sarcastic rather than humble, but actually that’s exactly what insurance companies do when they figure out your health and life premiums.  Life expectancy, cost of healthcare etc is not that difficult to calculate for the average person. Of course your parent like mine could end up costing way more than average...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.