Mindo2019

Worried! Bringing my mom here and affraid to get denied

111 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

For an immigrant visa, right. For AOS, the new I-944 will require disclosure of debts.

A good thing, I think.

1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

A good thing, I think.

I’m not a fan of the I-944 as a whole, but this part is something that just makes sense to me too.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
11 hours ago, IR5momandme said:

I understand this. And the comment has long gone to far from my original post as well. I was just asking if my income and situation will weaker my case. And yes, of course by assuming all bad scenario if my either me or my husband unable to continue work then we all gonna be under public assistance. No doubt about that. Not everyone has the "assets" that can guarantee the best life possible. So, thank you. For your comment about your point of view 👍

You stated that your mom is a housewife and takes care of two children only with your support. This scenario is the basis of a public charge denial. There is nothing other than with your financial support that says that when she immigrates she will not rely on government support as she is not self sufficient in her home country. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

16 hours ago, geowrian said:

I would not compare a visitor visa to an immigrant one. The requirements and COs handling them are vastly different. COs will consider financial evidence presented for an immigrant visa, although one cannot definitively ascertain how or if it will impact the decision.

A clear number to determine if somebody will be a public charge or not. Sounds nice, but it’s impossible to do so in a meaningful manner. No 2 people have the same set of circumstances. There’s no way a 30 year old doctor and a 70 year old housewife/househusband who never worked will function without assistance with the same level of risk. There are far, far too many factors to consider to have any number or automatic calculation cover it properly.

The medical report covers contagious disease issues, possible substance abuse or self harm, etc. It’s not comprehensive to determine somebody’s overall well-being.

COs are not fortune tellers, but they do have to make a prediction. They have a set of criteria to guide them, but there is nothing definitive. I have seen somebody making $200k/year denied and need a joint sponsor, and I have seen somebody making under $50k approved. Obviously their circumstances were more complicated than just their sponsor’s earnings. Somebody has to make a judgement call.

For an immigrant visa, right. For AOS, the new I-944 will require disclosure of debts.

Yeah. It feels like it's only time before similar I-944 guidance or documentation is set forth for immigrant visa's too. Obviously the current I-944 is too AOS specific but there has been some chatter on updated to the guidance manual to have similar effects for immigrant visas.

1 hour ago, artcodex said:

Yeah. It feels like it's only time before similar I-944 guidance or documentation is set forth for immigrant visa's too. Obviously the current I-944 is too AOS specific but there has been some chatter on updated to the guidance manual to have similar effects for immigrant visas.

Certainly possible and I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened. But I gave up trying to predict what will be next. haha

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 3 weeks later...

Hey don’t worry, there is a poverty guideline that you should meet at 125% and while you have all your income well documented, you don’t have to worry; whether tax transcripts, employment, self-employment etc, be sure you document everything, health insurance is easier to obtain there are many excellent plans.  So don’t get nervous nor discouraged. Everything will be fine. The law applies to everyone. https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

And go to department of state website and look for the documents you need to collect. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html

be happy!

Edited by Kate12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.