Linda91

Married with an ESTA (tourist) visa

125 posts in this topic

This is the cover letter of our application. Hope this could help as your guide and checklist when you submit yours. Go to the USCIS website to get their forms and read their instruction booklet. Try watching videos in YouTube like Immigration Guru to help you assemble your packet. 

vj 1.PNG

vj.PNG

vj2.PNG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Remember that each persons situation is different and that the supporting documentation for one is not necessarily the same for someone else. 

Read carefully through each forms “ supporting documentation needed” and determine what you need 

Cover  letters are not required but all applicable supporting documentation is required 

Edited by Lil bear

A few notes...

1. ESTA is a travel authorization only.
  2. You would have entered via the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). As such, there is no visa involved.
  3. Please try to file before your 90 day stay expires. Even one day of overstay makes you permanently ineligible to use the VWP ever again (may not be an issue since you are intending to get a green card instead...but worth pointing out IMO).
  4. Read the guides on this website.
  5. Read all instructions for each form.
  6. Ask questions as needed.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mrs Thor said:

This is the cover letter of our application. Hope this could help as your guide and checklist when you submit yours. Go to the USCIS website to get their forms and read their instruction booklet. Try watching videos in YouTube like Immigration Guru to help you assemble your packet. 

vj 1.PNG

vj.PNG

vj2.PNG

Thank you a lot for your time and all the information! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Remember that each persons situation is different and that the supporting documentation for one is not necessarily the same for someone else. 

Read carefully through each forms “ supporting documentation needed” and determine what you need 

Cover  letters are not required but all applicable supporting documentation is required 

Yes we have reached to an authority throught phone call and we got all the forms that's needed! It's a stress reliver to get some feedback and some general information about the process, so it was helpful reaching out here. Authority said it's not a problem as long as we're determined to go on with the paperwork. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Linda91 said:

Yes we have reached to an authority throught phone call and we got all the forms that's needed! It's a stress reliver to get some feedback and some general information about the process, so it was helpful reaching out here. Authority said it's not a problem as long as we're determined to go on with the paperwork. 

Yes correct. You haven’t done anything illegal. You entered lawfully , you have a change in your circumstances and you are looking to move forward within the lawful framework available to you. Many vjers have done the same thing. And as this is a do it yourself site , most have done it without lawyers. The key is preparation , reading the official documents, checking advice with the official source , carefully preparing the documents and supporting evidences required. You’ll find plenty of really good help here ... looking forward to hearing how your are progressing 

take a minute to add your timeline as that gives us all good background information so we can support you as accurately as possible. 

And  congratulations on your marriage !! 😁  . 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Linda91 said:

We are almost at the end of this process to do this, without lawyers. My case was straight forward, similar to yours, entered with a tourist visa, change of circumstances, etc. It took us about 12 days to get the NOA1,  a month after for biometrics and we just had our interview scheduled for next month.

Downside is, I have been so bored the entire time. But being with your partner is invaluable. Was still worth it to me. Do not think you will have any issues and the links everyone sent you are all you need to file concurrently. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Linda91 said:

What documents are needed? I got my passport of course, where all my I information is. 

You do need a photocopy of your birth certificate for the I485.  If your family has returned to Sweden, maybe they can email it to you.  It also may have to be translated.

Good Luck!

3. Birth Certificate
All Form I-485 applicants, except refugees and asylees, must submit a photocopy of their birth certificate issued by the appropriate civil authority from the country of birth. Although refugees and asylees are not required to submit a photocopy of their birth certificate, if the birth certificate is available, refugees and asylees should submit a copy of the birth certificate. USCIS will only accept a long-form birth certificate which lists at least one parent.
If your birth certificate is unavailable or does not exist, you must prove its unavailability or nonexistence and provide acceptable alternative evidence of birth. (Refugees and asylees do not need to prove unavailability or nonexistence
of their birth certificate.) You can look up your country of birth on the following website, travel.state.gov/content/ visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country.html, to see if birth certificates are known to be unavailable or nonexistent in that country.
If this resource shows that birth certificates from your country of birth are generally unavailable or nonexistent, you do not need to do anything to prove that your birth certificate is unavailable or nonexistent.
If this resource does not show that birth certificates from your country of birth are generally unavailable or nonexistent, you must submit an original document from the relevant governmental authority explaining why your birth record does not exist and indicate whether similar records for the time and place are available.
When your birth certificate is not available or does not exist, you must submit other acceptable evidence relating to the facts of your birth, such as church or school records, hospital or medical records, personal affidavits, or similar evidence.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

*** One post edited to remove sensitive word. 

*** Please remember to be open and receptive to corrections when giving advice. One must be will to accept that they may be wrong when giving advice.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

******* Re-opened after review.  Many posts removed and further admin action taken against one poster.  Give accurate information and be polite if you disagree with someone elses info, post constructively or do not post. ******

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

hello,

All the above, but also be ready to justify and have solid proof of your story. ESTA is not supposed to be used for marriage purposes as that is considered fraud if it gets proved you had intentions of using it to get married and remain in the U.S. Good proof are all kinds of ties to your home country such as rentals, bank accounts, job etc.

Good luck!

Edited by RJ_MA

"some beautiful paths can't be discovered without getting lost." 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 minute ago, RJ_MA said:

hello,

All the above, but also be ready to justify and have solid proof of your story. ESTA visas are not supposed to be used for marriage purposes as that is considered fraud if it gets proved you had intentions of using it to get married and remain in the U.S. Good proof are all kinds of ties to your home country such as rentals, bank accounts, job etc.

Good luck!

Yeah, none of this is real.

Intent is determined at the border, OP didn't lie to CBP, and why on Earth would you need ties to your home country if you're applying for AOS to stay in the US?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

Yeah, none of this is real.

Intent is determined at the border, OP didn't lie to CBP, and why on Earth would you need ties to your home country if you're applying for AOS to stay in the US?

Because for marriage purposes you're supposed to apply either for a K1 or a CR1 visa. ESTA is used for tourist purposes.

But I'm assuming being here you already know this information.

Edited by RJ_MA

"some beautiful paths can't be discovered without getting lost." 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.