SoonToBeDivorcee

Revoking Permanent Green Card

26 posts in this topic

I entered into a bonafide marriage with a foreign national, we moved to the US past the minimum 2-year mark. The request for his green card took a long time and we had a lot of troubles. Last year, we separated but continued to try to make things work out. He was called for his permanent visa interview and we went together because we still wanted to work things out - or so he claimed. 

The very next month, he receives his permanent green card in the mail, and just a week later he decides he no longer wants to work on the marriage.

Fast forward another month, he proposes a legal separation. I agree to it because it wasn't yet divorce and I thought we still had a chance to work it out. 

Six months later, he requests a divorce. And I have reasons to suspect there has been someone on the side since around the time of our green card interview.

What can I do to divorce but rightfully request his green card be revoked in the process?

The marriage entered into was bonafide, but the last year has been murky and I feel defrauded into attending the green card interview while already separated (under the guise that him being a legal resident would save our marriage). 

Just now, Hypnos said:

Unless you have something a lot stronger than belief that he planned this the whole time, there is nothing you can do other than divorce and move on. 

You freely chose to attend his interview. 

Yes, I did, under false pretenses. There must be something that I can do, via a lawyer at least?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Divorce and move on. The Greencard is his business now and no longer your concern.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yup... this is the risks people take when dating internationally and sponsoring someone... everyone always senses something is wrong but goes through with it anyways and then BAM! and then they wonder what they can do to deport/remove/revoke their estranged spouses status... unfortunately, for you like most others, unless there is substantial, concrete evidence of fraud and deceit... not much at all you can do about it. Can ask lawyers, inform USCIS... but they are now an LPR and they can do whatever they please and continue their path all the way to citizenship if they wish, and now bring family members in... and you're still on the hook for the I-864 support affidavit also.... all because of ignoring the signs,... and don't know how often they actually go after the USC for the affidavit of support if needed, but a member on here recently was sued by the state of California for money owed because his estranged spouse left and had gone on welfare, so the state came a knocking for their money back.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

divorce and move on... dont let bitterness block you of being happy... whats the point of being in a marriage and not happy. too bad you fell into the trap.... he has the permanent Green card... nothing can be done.... May you heal from his betrayal and find happiness.

45 minutes ago, SoonToBeDivorcee said:

Yes, I did, under false pretenses. There must be something that I can do, via a lawyer at least?

A lawyer does not have legal authority to have a permanent resident's status revoked. Like already, mentioned, there is nothing more you can do. You ex husband, with the help of you, has proven to the government that the marriage was bonifide. You went to the interview to help make this claim. If you feel that it was not right then it is too late now. The green card has been issued. It takes a ton of evidence (and likely physical evidence such as recordings of your ex husband admitting to fraud) to have a permanent status  revoked, and even then it is not guaranteed.

We have seen so many cases like this where soon after receiving a GC, the immigrant leaves the marriage. And almost never do we see them successfully deported. This is why the biggest suggestion is to focus on moving on with your life. Because it could be a futile attempt to have him removed.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, SoonToBeDivorcee said:

Nothing you can do unless you have absolute proof that he committed immigration fraud.  Other than your gut feelings, do you have any proof?

Having someone on the side/cheating does not equal fraud.  Unless you have documented evidence to submit to USCIS, there is nothing you are able to do to  him immigration-wise.  It takes more than just a statement from you claiming any nefarious intentions---they will want to see actual proof.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, SoonToBeDivorcee said:

What can I do to divorce but rightfully request his green card be revoked in the process?

The marriage entered into was bonafide, but the last year has been murky and I feel defrauded into attending the green card interview while already separated (under the guise that him being a legal resident would save our marriage). 

Nothing

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You said it yourself- you entered a bonafide marriage. Then you supported him through the interview. You cant do anything now. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

As the saying goes, living well is the best revenge. Knowing that it drives my ex-husband crazy that I am very happy in my new relationship and on my way to remarrying feels great! As was said above, divorce and move on. You never know what is waiting for you on the other side. 😊

5 hours ago, SoonToBeDivorcee said:

I feel defrauded into attending the green card interview while already separated

You made the decision, his motivations were clear and you still went ahead with it, if there is anyone to blame here unfortunately it's you.😩 😢 I don't think there's anything you can do about this now, you ignored red flags and now you pretty much can do nothing, he already has his greencard, I am sooooo sorry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.