45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This happened to my neighbors on here with work visas

He is from Germany,   she is from Phillipines

In 2018 they were expecting 1st baby

she went into labor New Year's Eve 

had the 1st baby of 2019

they had already paid their deductible for 2018 ($3000 family for the year)

and when the baby had to stay 6 days in hospital they found themselves paying out another $3000 for the new year

They had no idea the deductible could hit twice for one pregnancy

Dr had wanted to induce labor he 23rd of December and she said NO i want to be free for Christmas

When it comes to health insurance in the US ,  learn your police requirements

she and he said "for the next baby she will spend last 3 months in Germany and have it there

they also can't claim the child for tax returns for 2018 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yes, they made a BIG error.  Nothing to do with US, but insurance. This is a normal process and it is also the reason the doc wanted to induce her on the 23rd. The new year is the New Year. I hate they had to learn it that way 

Edited by Cheschirecat

Timeline

guys i really wrote the word policy 

auto correct changed it and i didn't notice till i hit send

and i would have told them if i had known the policy particulars but this is so private

just want all here to know "watch health care benefits and know how this affects you" as many new immigrants are unaware of our WHAT YOU ANT TO CALL A SYSTEM

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

guys i really wrote the word policy 

auto correct changed it and i didn't notice till i hit send

and i would have told them if i had known the policy particulars but this is so private

just want all here to know "watch health care benefits and know how this affects you" as many new immigrants are unaware of our WHAT YOU ANT TO CALL A SYSTEM

Almost all if not all medical policies run on a calendar year

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Almost all if not all medical policies run on a calendar year

i know but trying to tell immigrants

Well, I don't want to sound snarky, but honestly? All policies run on a calendar year in most countries.. and if there's a deductible, it resets. Still, having a baby and only coming out with $3000 in bills? Sounds like a win to me, and how an insurance plan with a deductible should work. A week hospital stay for me was a $48k+ bill. My husband spent a mere few hours in the hospital and the total was around $6k.

$3000 is a lot, but that is not the full bill the parents will be paying. The insurance will pick up the rest which should be a vastly large amount.

Also why should they be able to claim a baby on FY2018 if the child was not born until FY2019?

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

44 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

just want all here to know "watch health care benefits and know how this affects you"

Yes, that's good advice for everyone......Items covered/not covered, deductibles, stop-loss caps, drug benefits, network vs out-of-network benefits, etc. are all important considerations we all need to be knowledgeable of.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
13 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Well, I don't want to sound snarky, but honestly? All policies run on a calendar year in most countries.. and if there's a deductible, it resets. Still, having a baby and only coming out with $3000 in bills? Sounds like a win to me, and how an insurance plan with a deductible should work. A week hospital stay for me was a $48k+ bill. My husband spent a mere few hours in the hospital and the total was around $6k.

$3000 is a lot, but that is not the full bill the parents will be paying. The insurance will pick up the rest which should be a vastly large amount.

Also why should they be able to claim a baby on FY2018 if the child was not born until FY2019?

I think you are the USC, being the UKC you would think differently.

The tax thingy is crude and I am not going to argue about that,

But most people outside the US would not have come across this or think this was logical o sensible, I worked in Insurance and have all the initials and I do not think it is logical or sensible. 

I do have an example , a neighbour had dental issues had blown through her limit last year so was waiting for this year to get treatment for the next batch, got an infection before Christmas as a result, ended up in Hospital for a couple of weeks, been back to hospital for another week, nearly died by the sound of it.

Probably a few thousand to sort out what she needed, a few hundred thousand for what happened.

Insurance for peripheral needs I can see, for core health makes no sense.

It is what it is and eventually will go bust.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Well it happened. I'm surprised the deductible for 2018 wasn't met. 

One year I was getting hired in the middle of year and I dropped my previous employers health insurance and started with the new one. I didn't know at that time that I had to start over with the deductible too. It was painful financially but oh well. 

27 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I think you are the USC, being the UKC you would think differently.

The tax thingy is crude and I am not going to argue about that,

But most people outside the US would not have come across this or think this was logical o sensible, I worked in Insurance and have all the initials and I do not think it is logical or sensible. 

I do have an example , a neighbour had dental issues had blown through her limit last year so was waiting for this year to get treatment for the next batch, got an infection before Christmas as a result, ended up in Hospital for a couple of weeks, been back to hospital for another week, nearly died by the sound of it.

Probably a few thousand to sort out what she needed, a few hundred thousand for what happened.

Insurance for peripheral needs I can see, for core health makes no sense.

It is what it is and eventually will go bust.

I don't disagree with you on the extreme costs of healthcare, or even thinking that it's logical or sensible. However that is the way our system works. My husband, being the UKC does not think the system here or the quoted scenario was logical or sensible either, but he understands that's the way things are. What's the alternative? You and I might likely agree what a good alternative might be, but no one in our system in government has the fortitude to change it... and I'm not sure the majority of Americans are either. Yes indeed, it is what it is. And since America currently wants to still put up with ''it is what it is'', it's important that all immigrants, and USCs for that matter, understand how it works, to navigate through it accordingly.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

I don't disagree with you on the extreme costs of healthcare, or even thinking that it's logical or sensible. However that is the way our system works. My husband, being the UKC does not think the system here or the quoted scenario was logical or sensible either, but he understands that's the way things are. What's the alternative? You and I might likely agree what a good alternative might be, but no one in our system in government has the fortitude to change it... and I'm not sure the majority of Americans are either. Yes indeed, it is what it is. And since America currently wants to still put up with ''it is what it is'', it's important that all immigrants, and USCs for that matter, understand how it works, to navigate through it accordingly.

It is inevitable that we all treat as the norm what we have, what we grew up with.

And I am fairly careful to show idiocies where I came from when the issue comes up here.

I am sure there are people who think that the current situation is OK, my impression is that fewer and fewer think so.

One obvious aspect to address is that seemingly many people do not realise what their Employer policy is costing them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

The sad thing is  a $3k family deductible isn't even that terrible nowadays for a HDHP.

Our company's family deductible is $5k. A self-employed family friend has a $12k family deductible (for himself and his wife) and $1400/month in premiums.

The whole situation is insane. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.