Jen Canterbury

K1 visa denied

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

OP, any idea why the letter stated that "the petition contains inaccurate information?"  Ask your fiance about the questions asked, there may have been something in the petition that did not match civil documents presented or other documents reviewed at the interview.  Unless this "inaccurate information" problem can be fixed, it will continue to be a problem even if you marry and file for a CR-1.  You could try sending the consulate an email to ask what that sentence about "inaccurate information" was referring to, unless your fiance knows, and if it is something that could be addressed with additional documents, try sending that to the consulate ASAP.  Could it be a misrepresentation on the petition?  Did your fiance have any previous visa denials that were not disclosed on the petition?  Criminal record not disclosed?  Anything like that?  Try to get to the bottom of this now because if you wait and file an I-130 you need to avoid making the same mistake twice.

Edited by carmel34

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jen Canterbury said:

Paul &Mary

i really don’t know, the co ask for his original birth certificate, he gave her a copy of what was sent to him via email from Nigeria, she told him his family must send it via DHL to him as well as a police clearance from Nigeria, she also made reference to his name being a girl name which is Alexandra, she also didn’t give him time to answer a question

thanks everyone for your advice, both of us can’ stop crying 

Just to clarify - he gave the CO copies of his emailed birth certificate? And what about the Nigerian police records, did he give copies of those too?

K1 NOA1: 9/12/2017. NOA23/10/2018. Case # Assigned: 3/28/2018. Embassy Received: 3/29/2018. Medical: 4/18/2018. Interview: 5/3/2018. VOH: 5/8/2018. US Entry (POE JFK): 5/24/2018.

AOS Package Sent: 6/4/2018. NOA1/Received Date: 6/5/2018. Biometrics Appt: 6/28/2018. I-765/I-131 Combo Card Received: 9/25/2018. I-765/I-131 Renewal Sent: 4/2/2019. NOA1/Received Date: 4/3/2019. GC Interview: 9/19/2019. GC Approved: 11/5/2019. 

ROC Package Sent: 9/20/2021 NOA1/Received Date: 9/22/2021 NOA1 In Mail: 10/2/2021 

N-400 Applied Online: 8/22/2022 NOA1/Received Date: 8/23/2022 Interview Date: 11/30/2022

Filed: V-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yeah, Nigeria is going to be a tough one to overcome unfortunately. My husband was denied fiance visa but for other reasons. A lawyer told me to get married and file spousal visa. That's exactly what I did, what else can you do? In a bonafide relationship you want to be together, wherever you end up. Good luck to you.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Post containing personal information removed.**

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

3 hours ago, Jen Canterbury said:

Tbilisi Georgia, No reason was given, he said she made reference to our age I’m 51 and he is 35 and also started that he is close to my kids age which shouldn’t have anything to do with our relationship 

That is the red flag.

Even if you go there and get married it will not remove all those red flags. If you dont address them the spouse visa also can get denied. 

The best way to increase approval is to spend more time together in person. Maybe even move there for few months. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Nigeria, through no fault of your own, is a high fraud country. The age gap only futher raised more red flags.

It sucks but that's the way the U.S. immigration system works. Some countires have so many fraudlent marriages and illegal immigrants that they decided to put a hard stop to it by scrutinizing future marriages.

Some folks are trying to leave their home countries and they don't care who they have to swindle or seduce in order to do it. The CO simply saw something and was not confident that the nigerian was doing this in good faith.

Edited by Rocko20

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
11 hours ago, Jen Canterbury said:

The first time meeting 7 days the second time 16 days, we met since 2014 and was corresponding with each other via Skype, FaceTime, we have a  bona fide relationship, would they give a reason for the denial?

you met since 2014 and have only visited twice. No way the CO can be convinced this is real

in contrast, my fiancé is also in Nigerian and next month will be my 4th visit within a years time frame

NoA1 - September 26, 2018

NoA2 - February 4, 2019  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, Scandi said:

If you only knew how many cases we see on here where

1. the woman is significantly older than the foreign man,

2. she thinks they're sooo in love (love does make you blind it seems),

3. she actually manages to bring him to the US and

4. he leaves her as soon as he gets his greencard.

And then the typical post by the woman who now screams about fraud and how he tricked her just to get a greencard ("I was so blind, I can't believe it!!!!11one" yada yada) and how she now wants to know what she can do to deport him and not be responsible for him for xx years.

Happens all the time, I bet many of the denials save US women everyday from becoming victims of immigration fraud. The Consular/immigration officer sees the things the blinded woman refuses to see.

This is true, an american friend  petition a guy from morrocco the entire family against it but she didnt listen i told her he might just using her for greencard but instead she gets mad to everybody and got married anyway  until the guy arrived in US and after a month he recieved hes green card and after 3 months living together he left her with 10 000 dollars unpaid loans which he use to pay for his visa ,tickets ,phone ,car n he promised her he got money in morroco just need to widraw it the moment he arrived in US n he will pay all the loan that she made... engagement ring wer fake n so wedding ring.. she attempted to commit suicide n shes now in shelter lost her job her house n everything the family reported it to uscis but nothing happends the guy still in United states

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I know it seems unfair, especially if you are in fact a legitimate couple, but it is the nature of the beast. Immigration is a privilege, not a right. And unfortunately, though no fault of your own, Nigeria is a high fraud country - and usually with scenarios where the woman is much older than the man and the man is the beneficiary. With that in mind, COs have to be extra cautious and particular when reviewing these cases, and with any amount of red flags, a denial is highly probable.

With the age difference and lack of face time (two average-length visits may not have been enough), this is most likely the reason for the denial. As others have said - even if you get married and attempt a CR1, these red flags will not go away. I would suggest as much more face time together in person as possible before going that route, if you do. It's still not a guarantee, but will put you in a much better position than the first go around.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.