Jen Canterbury

K1 visa denied

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
3 hours ago, Jen Canterbury said:

Paul & Mallory, 

He is Nigeria, but currently living in Tbilisi Georgia 🇬🇪 is where we applied for the visa.

Saying this from the beginning would truly help others and their responses.

I can probably guess the inaccurate information was what on previous Visitor visa applications he used an agent and said he was married when he wasn't or he has children when he doesn't?

Actually before you make a move you need the full story, all questions asked and what was the answers and the focus of the CO before you move forward.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

8 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

That's nothing you will be fine. I know a few from DR with way bigger that had no issues.

Phew! Not to toot my own horn, but I don't look my age either. Most people think I'm in my late 20's early 30's. So I think that may help us too! We met one year ago and have spent a total of 5 weeks together over 4 different trips. I have also met all of his family and have pictures from many family gatherings. Sorry to jack this thread, but my anxiety was screaming at me.  😓

Jen - I am so sorry you were denied. Your heart must be broken. Don't give up!!! If you really love each other you will find a way to make this work. I wish you both the best and I truly hope you are able to be together!! ❤️ 

Edited by msrodriguez

Packet Sent 10/18

Delivered to Lockbox 10/21

Fee Paid 10/25

NOA1 10/25 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jen Canterbury said:

Don’t you will be one of the lucky ones and get i, keep a positive attitude.🙏🏽🙏🏽 I really don’t think it’s the age but something he said.

Oh I am sure of that. And your lack of bonafide evidence and duration of visits. Remember all this evidence is in the hands of the CO's weeks before interview so truly a decision is made.

But what was said also i have seen many a interviews go south because of how badly the beneficiary interviewed.

Did he mess up crucial specific questions about you?

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

1 minute ago, dwheels76 said:

Oh I am sure of that. And your lack of bonafide evidence and duration of visits. Remember all this evidence is in the hands of the CO's weeks before interview so truly a decision is made.

But what was said also i have seen many a interviews go south because of how badly the beneficiary interviewed.

The worst part is that some people must get super nervous and not interview well. I understand the reasons for all of the "check and balances", but goodness it's so much pressure! 

Packet Sent 10/18

Delivered to Lockbox 10/21

Fee Paid 10/25

NOA1 10/25 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Cos see the file for the first time at the window but consular staff most likely review and notate prior 

YMMV

According to him the CO asked my name, dob, my kids names, did we meet each other family, number of siblings I have, how did we meet, he was really nervous 

also the interview setting was out in the open the CO behind a thick glass and asking him the questions over the speaker 

Timeline
Just now, Jen Canterbury said:

also the interview setting was out in the open the CO behind a thick glass and asking him the questions over the speaker 

Not a Tbilisi thing, Same setting everywhere 

YMMV

Timeline
4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Cos see the file for the first time at the window but consular staff most likely review and notate prior 

Well not what I been told by varies Co's I know around the world current and retired. Consular staff may do more intel, field work but the CO is assigned when the cases come to embassy.

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jen Canterbury said:

According to him the CO asked my name, dob, my kids names, did we meet each other family, number of siblings I have, how did we meet, he was really nervous 

That's everywhere Jen. Nothing new about that. Come CO's choose to not talk on Mic some do. That has nothing to do with does your fiance' interview well and know the questions. Those were basic questions anyone should be able to just rattle off. Looks like he wasn't very convincing.

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline
7 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Well not what I been told by varies Co's I know around the world current and retired. Consular staff may do more intel, field work but the CO is assigned when the cases come to embassy.

Consulate such as Manila that do 150 to 300 k1 interviews in a day, the amount of pre interview time has to be minimal then

YMMV

12 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Consular staff may do more intel, field work but the CO is assigned when the cases come to embassy.

In Manila, they seat you to wait for the CO in the order you arrive. Then they call up sets of people as the lines at the window progress. There is literally no way to know what CO you will get until you are in line, and therefore no way for the CO to know what applicant they will get until they are at the front of the line.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
11 minutes ago, geowrian said:

In Manila, they seat you to wait for the CO in the order you arrive. Then they call up sets of people as the lines at the window progress. There is literally no way to know what CO you will get until you are in line, and therefore no way for the CO to know what applicant they will get until they are at the front of the line.

And if a particular CO has no previously assigned applicant interviews scheduled does that mean they get the day off?  I think not.  Also does not explain why mine had her second interview with a different officer.  Previous assignments would dictate her interviews would have been the same officer 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Other Timeline
20 hours ago, Jen Canterbury said:

Paul &Mary

i really don’t know, the co ask for his original birth certificate, he gave her a copy of what was sent to him via email from Nigeria, she told him his family must send it via DHL to him as well as a police clearance from Nigeria, she also made reference to his name being a girl name which is Alexandra, she also didn’t give him time to answer a question

thanks everyone for your advice, both of us can’ stop crying 

You mention his family must send the police clearance and birth certificate via DHL etc.. so is the embassy expecting this documentation? If so, it might not be an outright denial just yet.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

Timeline
2 minutes ago, celie&joseph said:

You mention his family must send the police clearance and birth certificate via DHL etc.. so is the embassy expecting this documentation? If so, it might not be an outright denial just yet.

Unfortunately based on the 221g that was posted,  it is a "hard" refusal and not a refusal pending additional documents 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.