PirateLiker

Residency without signing I864

138 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
7 hours ago, milimelo said:

And this is why k visa is a visa from hell. Beneficiary totally dependent on petitioner who may do exactly what you’re doing. 

If you won’t sign I-864 she won’t be a legal documented resident. Either let her know you’re destroying her future and pay for her ticket home or get married, file AOS and sign the damn I-864 form! 

If she does marry you she can wait awhile and then sue you for divorce. Good luck.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
1 hour ago, K1visaHopeful said:

🤮

Based on what he said looks like that is the case. We don't know details, so that's why i quoted benefits. It can be cooking, raising the petitioner's children etc....

Honestly I think if you know somebody and want to be with that person you don't have this hesitation. The only thing I would say is legit the prenup he was asking in a different thread back in November....

All the rest for me seems like he wants somebody but not ready to commit and making up rules like I don't file for GC, but you can stay illegally if you want. i don't oppose it.... How you can say that to somebody you deeply care about? So I think he is using her in a sense..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The I 134 is generally considered unenforceable.

Irregular? New one to me.

You are right, form I-134 is not legally binding, but that doesn't mean the government won't try to collect their money. Have you not ever heard of the IRS trying to collect money from someone they were not supposed to because of a "technicality"? It usually just takes a tax lawyer to yell at them on the phone and remind them about the rules, but the government will always try, believe me. Specially now with this president.

And hers would be an 'irregular' situation. If they marry but don't adjust her status, she would just be "out" of status. She would not be undocumented because she entered the US legally and should they marry within 90 days, she would have accomplished the purpose of her visa. And she has the potential green card available to her (if they ever decide to adjust status).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You would be hard pushed to find an I 864 that had been enforced, never seen an I 134 enforced.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You would be hard pushed to find an I 864 that had been enforced, never seen an I 134 enforced.

If you are right, then OP should not even worry for signing the affidavit in the first place. He should just get a prenup. Maybe he's got money and worries her fiancée might be a gold-digger.

Timeline
9 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

My K1 fiance has been in the US for about 2 months. I was very concerned about the open ended/blank check aspect of signing I864 before she arrived, and my misgivings about this haven't changed. I am considering a couple of options.

A. Allow her to stay with me without marriage. I realize that in doing so she would become an undocumented resident.

B. Marry her but not sign I864. In so doing I realize she would not be able to adjust status, but I believe she would be a documented resident.

Am I more or less correct in my understanding of these two paths?

I live in an area of the country that is very friendly to undocumented residents. In fact,  a former GF was an undocumented immigrant. She has a job (albeit low wage), driver's license, access to health care etc. Under either scenario, A or B, I am quite certain she would be able to work and have a driver's license.   

I am completely aware that she is a person with the ability to make her own choices. If I tell her what I am willing to do, she can choose what is best for her. 

Considering reactions to a related post a couple months ago, I am not necessarily expecting very civil comments in this thread. 

I hope she is smart and file WAVA

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Calicolom said:

I hope she is smart and file WAVA

It's VAWA.  

What would be the basis for VAWA?  Not signing the I-864 is not abuse.  There is nothing about abuse, so why are you bringing the VAWA into this?

2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

It's VAWA.  

What would be the basis for VAWA?  Not signing the I-864 is not abuse.  There is nothing about abuse, so why are you bringing the VAWA into this?

If they did marry and he was preventing her from obtaining immigration benefits that is considered abuse. He hasnt disclosed what is actually involved in their relationship but it could only be imagined by what he has stated thus far.

"Immigration Control as Abuse

The very reason for VAWA's enactment was the tendency of abusers to use their control over the victim's immigration status as a means of leverage. Abusers may threaten to call the authorities, and tell the immigrant lies about his or her rights in the U.S., such as the right to social services and protection by the police and U.S. courts."

2 hours ago, dnyal said:

You are right, form I-134 is not legally binding, but that doesn't mean the government won't try to collect their money. Have you not ever heard of the IRS trying to collect money from someone they were not supposed to because of a "technicality"? It usually just takes a tax lawyer to yell at them on the phone and remind them about the rules, but the government will always try, believe me. Specially now with this president.

What would be the "technicality" here? An I-134 has not been enforced and USCIS policy is that it is not enforceable.

See https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-12693/0-0-0-13496.html

2 hours ago, dnyal said:

If you are right, then OP should not even worry for signing the affidavit in the first place.

Not quite. The I-864 is rarely enforced, but is enforceable. There's a number of cases won VJ where this has happened regarding public benefits with the government, and a number where it has been pursued for 125% income level maintenance as a private civil lawsuit.

Enforcement could change on a dime.

And hers would be an 'irregular' situation. If they marry but don't adjust her status, she would just be "out" of status. She would not be undocumented because she entered the US legally and should they marry within 90 days, she would have accomplished the purpose of her visa. And she has the potential green card available to her (if they ever decide to adjust status).

Undocumented and out of status are synonymous in some views. Others only use undocumented to refer to EWIs. Either way, the result is the same - unlawfully present in the US.

The marriage within 90 days means nothing if there is no AOS that follows. The "purpose of the visa" is only applicable in reference to the ability to qualify for AOS based on K-1 status. It has no meaning in any other context.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, dnyal said:

So many things could fall out from that:

-They get married and she never adjusts status.  She cannot legally work, might not be able to even get a drivers' licence depending on where they live, and is subject to deportation at any time.

-They get married, she never adjusts status, she begins to accrue illegal overstay.  Yes, overstay is forgiven for spouses of USCs...but only if the AOS is filed.

-They get married, she never adjusts status, she cannot ever travel outside of the country because she would have no legal basis on which to reenter as a resident.

-Let's say they don't file the AOS for several months, or a year, or never files it (which was one of OP's plans).  She needs to return to her home country for an emergency, family death, or other reason.  She can't get a travel document (AP), because she never filed for the AOS.  She's now accumulated enough illegal overstay to trigger a 3-year ban or a 10-year ban the moment she sets foot outside the US, and is now stuck in the Ukraine----with no home, no job.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

21 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

My K1 fiance has been in the US for about 2 months. I was very concerned about the open ended/blank check aspect of signing I864 before she arrived, and my misgivings about this haven't changed. I am considering a couple of options.

A. Allow her to stay with me without marriage. I realize that in doing so she would become an undocumented resident.

B. Marry her but not sign I864. In so doing I realize she would not be able to adjust status, but I believe she would be a documented resident.

Am I more or less correct in my understanding of these two paths?

I live in an area of the country that is very friendly to undocumented residents. In fact,  a former GF was an undocumented immigrant. She has a job (albeit low wage), driver's license, access to health care etc. Under either scenario, A or B, I am quite certain she would be able to work and have a driver's license.   

I am completely aware that she is a person with the ability to make her own choices. If I tell her what I am willing to do, she can choose what is best for her. 

Considering reactions to a related post a couple months ago, I am not necessarily expecting very civil comments in this thread. 

Just send that poor soul back home. You need to get married within 90 days of entry when you come to the US on a K1 and even if she was to stay, she will never be able to adjust status because you must marry the original petitioner of the K1 besides the fact that she’ll probably have issues in the future if she overstays a k1 and doesn’t get married. You already knew the commitment a K1 visa represents, why would you put that person through all of that and mess their existence in this country for? Geez 

12 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

If they did marry and he was preventing her from obtaining immigration benefits that is considered abuse. He hasnt disclosed what is actually involved in their relationship but it could only be imagined by what he has stated thus far.

"Immigration Control as Abuse

The very reason for VAWA's enactment was the tendency of abusers to use their control over the victim's immigration status as a means of leverage. Abusers may threaten to call the authorities, and tell the immigrant lies about his or her rights in the U.S., such as the right to social services and protection by the police and U.S. courts."

The only thing is that they would have to be married in order to file for vawa, other than that, he truly is abusing his power over her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
15 hours ago, PirateLiker said:

Yes that is true, but it does not justify my actions.

You are completely correct on this ... no it doesn’t justify your actions. Time to be an adult and treat this person with respect and honesty.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.