Nemeseax

" American dream "

89 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

We were both living happily in Cambodia and neither of us cared much about which country we would continue to live in. 

Until we decided to have a child that is, and when we looked closer at the education and opportunities for our son we decided to move to the USA. And consider the politics and value of life in Cambodia it was a better environment for our son. 

To be honest I am starting to look at other countries now, as I prefer them for a number of reasons (quality of the people, politics, gun laws, education, crime, healthcare, racism, the threat of terrorism). Things seem to have degraded greatly in the years I was gone. I hope it improves!

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I wrote a whole bunch of stuff but decided it was too negative to post... I have lived here 7 year and I used to love it and now I would love to go back to Sweden. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

I wrote a whole bunch of stuff but decided it was too negative to post... I have lived here 7 year and I used to love it and now I would love to go back to Sweden. 

One of the best in my opinion. 

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My parents moved to the country for better opportunities. My dad.. one of those guys... "I came here with 50 dollars in my pocket". He paid good portion of my education and majority of my brothers. My parents now own a home with 2 cars, they do not live pay check to pay check. They have money they save up. They are not rich, but comfortable in their own way. Considering the conditions what might have been. Most people immigrate to America because of luxury. No matter how comfortable you may be in most parts of the world, U.S has products and conditions that are 1 step up.

- If you are looking for my version of it. I coatailed my father. Trying to one up him by finishing my degree... going for my MBA program. I work in a decent work environment, saving money to buy our own house. Waiting for the wifey to come over first of course. Then continue on a path to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Now if you are asking about my pursuit of happiness... well, that's a whole new level of questioning lol.

10 hours ago, Nemeseax said:

Dear people- what do you consider by " American dream " and what is that actually? Why millions of people are trying so hard to come here? Arent expectations a bit too high when reality shows up?

What was your main reason for living here? And  (honestly)are you satisfied or disappointed?

I am a Filipino. Despite from being from a third world country, i didn't have dreams to live here. 

I've been here multiple times on business trips. I was on the height of my career traveling across the globe on business trips then I met my now husband. He is the most wonderful person I know, my soulmate, the one who could best complement me. I gave up everything I have to build a life with him. (Main Reason for living here)

My only expectation when I moved here, I was expecting I won't be culture shocked because it's not my first time. I had been here on my business trips for months and for multiple times. But living here, I've realized there is really a difference when you are just a visitor as compared to being a resident. There are adjustments. Yes. 

Im satisfied? There are aspects I am not satisfied. There are things I don't understand. I don't understand credit score and the point of building debts. I don't understand why bullying is condoned in school. etc. 

But at the end of the day, when the environment is bringing me emotionally down, I look at my husband. He is the best for me. He gave me all the love I could ever asked for. He gave me awesome in-laws who loved me more than my parents. (My in-laws would leave work just to pick me up if I need a ride). He gave me the family I never had and I had always hoped for. 

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Pros - husband, California weather, diversity in California (many immigrant communities - so many opportunities for international shopping and dining), polite people, good customer service, variety of products and services (mostly due to population size here), higher salaries if you're privileged enough to have had good education 

Cons - mass shootings, homeless people, religious wackos (not as many in California but still), inequality, poor kids going to school 

hungry, ridiculous Healthcare system, terrible political climate, basic women's rights are still being debated, you need a credit score for everything, people insisting that owning guns is a right, kids not really having equal opportunities, no worker's rights. 

Yes, good point about customer service. That's another thing my wife raves about (mainly related to store return policies). 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Pros - husband, California weather, diversity in California (many immigrant communities - so many opportunities for international shopping and dining), polite people, good customer service, variety of products and services (mostly due to population size here), higher salaries if you're privileged enough to have had good education 

Cons - mass shootings, homeless people, religious wackos (not as many in California but still), inequality, poor kids going to school 

hungry, ridiculous Healthcare system, terrible political climate, basic women's rights are still being debated, you need a credit score for everything, people insisting that owning guns is a right, kids not really having equal opportunities, no worker's rights. 

owning is a gun IS a right...

First 10 amendments = bill of rights...

Edited by Maria and Jason

08-20-2011 Married

Work Visa

03-04-2012 Obtained L1-B Visa at Champlain, NY POE

Green Card

(Day 0) 03-13-2014 Mailed AOS package to Chicago Lock box

(Day 29) 04-11-2014 Bio-metrics appointment letter received (appointment 05/02/2014)

(Day 29) 04-11-2014 Successful Bio-metrics walk-in @ West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 53) 05-05-2014 Received hard copy of Interview Letter.

(Day 82) 06-03-2014 Day of AOS interview, Approved on the spot, given an approval letter.

(Day 89) 06-09-2014 Green Card in hand delivered after only 89 days.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Citizenship

(Day 0) 03-19-2018 N-400 Application Submitted Online

(Day 21) 04-09-2018 Bio-metrics Appointment @ West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 77) 06-04-2018 Received Interview Letter

(Day 114) Naturalization Interview - Approved on the spot @West Palm Beach, FL

(Day 116) Naturalization Oath Ceremony @ West Palm Beach, FL

________________________________________________________________________________________

Passport

(Day 0) 07-20-2018 Applied for passport (Non-Expedited) @ Clerk of Country, Port St Lucie Florida

(Day 17) 08-06-2018 Passport Received

Oh, I forgot :

Pros - people do their best to treat immigrants as equal and not as outsides

Cons - suburbs are boring and cities are dangerous, in most places you need a car in order to get around 

3 minutes ago, Maria and Jason said:

In the US it is indeed. That's one of the cons I have listed. Contributes to the last con about dangerous cities as well as the first one about mass shootings. 

Edited by Orangesapples
Typos

I did not come to the US because of an "American Dream". Honestly I think it doesn't even exist anymore with the current economy, healthcare, and the government. The sole reason I came here is to be with my then fiance (now husband). I was already living the dream before as an expat--I had a stable job, more than average wage, and living in a country just 4 hours from my home country.

There are other countries that have better economies, benefits, and foreigner-friendly cultures in my opinion.

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

34 minutes ago, Maria and Jason said:

First 10 amendments = bill of rights...

34 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Oh, I forgot :

Pros - people do their best to treat immigrants as equal and not as outsides

Cons - suburbs are boring and cities are dangerous, in most places you need a car in order to get around 

In the US it is indeed. That's one of the cons I have listed. Contributes to the last con about dangerous cities as well as the first one about mass shootings. 

It's actually kind of ambiguous; just says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed on, without specifying what kind of arms.

We don't go on and on about the right of people to have bombs, or anthrax, or nuclear weapons, in fact we are mostly eager for those to kept of impulsive hands.  I think it's more cultural norms that have made guns sacred in some peoples minds, and the intent of the framers of the constitution seems like it's open to debate. 

Just a thought, not wanting to get in a war of words or anything.

25 minutes ago, evapaula said:

... because of the way America was built, with no regard to "noble" origins, "clans" and who your parents are, ordinary individuals are given the same chances as anyone else, and that's a big deal.  

Unfortunately, not in my side of town. Here where I live (Corpus Christi, TX), everything is about connections. Companies have their entire families in. If somebody hands your application to the hiring manager, the next time you come in, you'll be signing and filling up employment forms already. Otherwise, it's gonna sit there forever regardless of qualifications. 

I know that doesn't generalize America. But, I guess that's how smaller towns are. 

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.