Nemeseax

" American dream "

89 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, usmsbow said:

Curious: what country has a more foreigner-friendly culture? I mean our current government isn't exactly foreigner friendly, but the US is pretty strong in immigrant assimilation. I suppose Canada and maybe Australia are on par with the US in that regard, but that's about it IMO.  It's also relatively easy to gain citizenship here (once you have a green card at least).

Canada, Australia, New Zealand are a few examples.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

1 minute ago, audacieux89 said:

I have firsthand experience in Singapore. New Zealand, the UK to add a few more. 

Where did you live in the UK? I know a number of people who have found the UK quite unfriendly to foreigners, even those with pale skins and English as a home language.

new Zealand does seem to love its immigrants :) 

9 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Where did you live in the UK? I know a number of people who have found the UK quite unfriendly to foreigners, even those with pale skins and English as a home language.

new Zealand does seem to love its immigrants :) 

Sorry I just meant Singapore. I added NZ and UK to other countries who have a lot of immigrants/foreign workers. Sorry about the sentence construction :D

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

I haven't read the whole thread, but just my opinion. 

I think the "American Dream" is dead, if it was ever alive.  Everyone is sold the idea that if you just work hard enough, all your dreams will come true.  And I guess it will depend entirely on what those dreams are, but that's just not likely for the vast majority of people.

Now do I think America is a good country? Yes. It's wonderful. The people (for the most part) are great people. There are some truly beautiful areas, great cities and super fun things to do.   It is overwhelmingly safer in the USA (mostly) than many other (non Western) countries. 

But in my personal opinion, coming from another Western/Developed/whatever euphemism that you want to use country... the "American Dream" is complete and utter BS. 

For all the wonderful things going for it, the US has some huge drawbacks that honestly I would never in a million years consider overcoming/living with if it weren't for my fiance.   

The lack of federal minimum wage (set at a LIVABLE level). At-will employment laws. Litigious claims that can bankrupt you.  Home Owners Associations (ugh). Lack of proper work-life balance (I'm sorry but 10 days off per year for recreational AND sick leave is appalling when I'm coming from a country where I get 25 days off for recreational leave PLUS another 10 days of sick leave per year). No mandatory maternity leave (again, coming from a country where our government pays for 12 weeks Mat. leave, and my current company allows for up to 2 years off with the guarantee of a job to come back to). The whole health insurance thing... I can already foresee stocking up on my asthma medication because its $6 OTC in Australia vs. god only knows how much in co-pays and out of pockets in the USA. 

It sounds insensitive, but coming from a less developed nation, I'm sure the "American Dream" is still a thing - I'm sure for some that even living in a "lower class" area of the USA is leagues better than where they're coming from (of course this is up for debate as it's all relative to the individual) but for me... I don't have dreams of America as such - I dream that I get to live with my partner, get a few dogs, maybe have a kid or two, and that's enough for me.

The "American Dream" is exactly that. Actually, it is a construct created by Madison Avenue ad agencies, capitalizing on the wish of people who emigrated from Europe to make their lives better. As an American who has lived here most of my life, I can tell you, it's still pretty good, even with the terrible health insurance and rabid racism and craziness, it's still pretty good. And that's an opinion echoed by my Dutch husband. 

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I haven't read all the responses yet, but I will.

What is the American Dream to me?

Freedom of religion - not having a state religion and not having your vital documents held onto by the local parish and your religion officially registered with them.  

Freedom of speech, even if it vile and hateful.

I think this is some of the things that many immigrants have wanted over the years when they come to America.

Why are we here?

My daughter just couldn't adjust to life in Denmark.  She's sensitive in ways that the Danish system isn't set up for.

There were some other weird issues with the fact that my husband and I are EU citizens, but my daughter was only a USC.  It is complex and Danish immigration law is annoying.

Denmark, however, was our first choice.  I would have been happy with another Scandinavian country, but my Danish half decided it was America or Denmark.  Full stop.  I'm still not happy about that decision, but he's happy in America, so whatever. He likes the big trucks, the guns (and the many he owns now), the more traditional gender roles, the lack of regulations in some sectors, and the fact we can afford to own both a home and two cars with only him working.  He likes that his social circle/cohort here is just like him.   He never had that back home.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

I too haven't read the entire thread but here's my 2c - I came here to be with my spouse. He'd lived in my country for 10 years and I honestly never dreamt of leaving - we had a good life. He however, was homesick. So now we're here and I'm so appreciative of the internationally recognised college degree I obtained here (I had a degree back home but it wasn't worth much anywhere else) and the opportunity to have a career that doesn't exist where I'm from. I'm also really grateful for the lifestyle we're giving our kids in California and the all-embracing culture of the Bay Area.That said, our plan is to move back to my home country once we reach retirement age so I'm happy where I am, knowing we'll eventually go back. I've come to love California but I miss my family terribly and I'm very attached to them whereas he's not particularly close to his family 

Consulate: South Africa
Married: 2011-06-25
I-130 Sent: 2011-07-22
I-130 NOA1: 2011-07-25
I-130 Approved: 2011-07-27
Receive I-864 Package: 2011-11-10
Return Completed I-864: 2011-11-14
Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-10
Packet 3 Sent: 2011-11-10
Packet 4 Received: 2011-11-15
Interview Date: 2011-11-30
Interview Result: Approved
Visa Received: 2011-12-06
US Entry: 2012-01-11
Port of Entry: San Francisco

ROC I-751 Filed: 2013-12-19

NOA1: 2013-12-23

Biometrics: 2014-01-16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, dentsflogged said:

Home Owners Associations (ugh).

This is the biggest negative factor about life in the USA.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I think the ''American Dream'' might still continue to be perpetuated by movies and TV shows, depicting the U.S as ''the land of opportunities for all'' and a place where no one is poor or struggling, although I don't think it's impossible to live a good life, of course, it's a possibility. But to achieve anything you require hard work. No one is going to hand things to you, You have to make things happen for yourself. I feel that a lot of immigrants rely on the stereotype a bit too much, hence they get disappointed. 

Sure, some things might be better than in your country, but no place is 100% perfect.  

I'm not in the U.S yet, so I don't have the experience that others have (I have visited multiple times/ for long-ish periods occasionally) but I'm well aware that moving there doesn't mean I'll automatically be rich and all my troubles will disappear. 

Wait what is a home owner association? I'm worried now :P 

🇲🇽  & 🇺🇸

➺ 01/07/17 Got married in Cozumel

➺ 02/04/17 Petition mailed 

➺ 02/08/17 Case Assigned to USCIS Nebraska, sigh. 

➺ 02/13/17 We got our NOA1! PD: February 8th 

➺ 12/15/17 NOA2 finally! after 10 1/2 months. 

➺ 12/21/17 NVC confirmed they received our file 

➺ 01/22/18 Documents sent to Rapidvisa 

➺ 02/05/18  NVC received our package 

03/15/18 Case complete! 

06/27/18  We got our Interview date! August 28th 

08/30/18 The package arrived (waited at Juarez)

08/31/18 Entered the U.S with my husband 

➺ 02/13/19 Husband confesses he cheated, leaves

➺ 02/16/19 Husband decides to abandon the marriage

➺ 05/13/19  I am officially divorced. 

➺ 07/03/20  I file to remove conditions on my own     

➺ 08/13/21 I finally get my biometrics appointment 

➺ 02/26/22 I got my interview assigned: March 31st. 

💜Owner of Miss Lore Tattoos 💜

www.missloretattoos.com   Instagram.com/missloretattoos 

Tough times never last, but tough people do. 

200w.gif

54 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

This is the biggest negative factor about life in the USA.

I wouldn't go that far.  They're easy enough to avoid. 

IMO there's plenty of other much more negative factors about life in the USA.  That said, the benefits outweigh the detractions, so I'm happy enough to get a job, pay taxes, and stimulate the economy with my reckless spending

2 minutes ago, Dianalorena said:

I think the ''American Dream'' might still continue to be perpetuated by movies and TV shows, depicting the U.S as ''the land of opportunities for all'' and a place where no one is poor or struggling, although I don't think it's impossible to live a good life, of course, it's a possibility. But to achieve anything you require hard work. No one is going to hand things to you, You have to make things happen for yourself. I feel that a lot of immigrants rely on the stereotype a bit too much, hence they get disappointed. 

Sure, some things might be better than in your country, but no place is 100% perfect.  

I'm not in the U.S yet, so I don't have the experience that others have (I have visited multiple times/ for long-ish periods occasionally) but I'm well aware that moving there doesn't mean I'll automatically be rich and all my troubles will disappear. 

Wait what is a home owner association? I'm worried now :P 

Contractually obligated, legally backed neighbourhood busibodies with nothing better to do than peek over your fence, send nasty/intimidating letters and dictate what you can and can't do to your home, including, but not limited to: how long you have after trash collection to bring your trashcans back into your yard (and if they're "hidden" or not), the colour you paint the exterior of your home, any INTERIOR home changes, the fact that you may have to provide your keys to them for "emergencies" (not that some of them will ever tell you what an emergency would be that constitutes them having access to your home), paying yearly fees + additional unexpected costs for "common area" maintenance (and if you get a really bad one, be prepared to pay out legal fees too, there was a case in Las Vegas not long ago where someone obtained a brain injury on play equipment and the HOA was sued for multiple millions of dollars - I think they worked out to $200k per homeowner that would need to be paid if it isn't successfully appealed  - oh and the legal fees are all being paid by the homeowners, too)

HOA's really are horrible and should be banned. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

They're easy enough to avoid. 

Not in some places, sadly.

3 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

Where's the +1,000 button?

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

3 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

Contractually obligated, legally backed neighbourhood busibodies with nothing better to do than peek over your fence, send nasty/intimidating letters and dictate what you can and can't do to your home, including, but not limited to: how long you have after trash collection to bring your trashcans back into your yard (and if they're "hidden" or not), the colour you paint the exterior of your home, any INTERIOR home changes, the fact that you may have to provide your keys to them for "emergencies" (not that some of them will ever tell you what an emergency would be that constitutes them having access to your home), paying yearly fees + additional unexpected costs for "common area" maintenance (and if you get a really bad one, be prepared to pay out legal fees too, there was a case in Las Vegas not long ago where someone obtained a brain injury on play equipment and the HOA was sued for multiple millions of dollars - I think they worked out to $200k per homeowner that would need to be paid if it isn't successfully appealed  - oh and the legal fees are all being paid by the homeowners, too)

holy!....

that sounds very obnoxious and cult-y.

buying a house is expensive, maintaining a house is expensive, and on top of that having to deal with this? heck no.

🇲🇽  & 🇺🇸

➺ 01/07/17 Got married in Cozumel

➺ 02/04/17 Petition mailed 

➺ 02/08/17 Case Assigned to USCIS Nebraska, sigh. 

➺ 02/13/17 We got our NOA1! PD: February 8th 

➺ 12/15/17 NOA2 finally! after 10 1/2 months. 

➺ 12/21/17 NVC confirmed they received our file 

➺ 01/22/18 Documents sent to Rapidvisa 

➺ 02/05/18  NVC received our package 

03/15/18 Case complete! 

06/27/18  We got our Interview date! August 28th 

08/30/18 The package arrived (waited at Juarez)

08/31/18 Entered the U.S with my husband 

➺ 02/13/19 Husband confesses he cheated, leaves

➺ 02/16/19 Husband decides to abandon the marriage

➺ 05/13/19  I am officially divorced. 

➺ 07/03/20  I file to remove conditions on my own     

➺ 08/13/21 I finally get my biometrics appointment 

➺ 02/26/22 I got my interview assigned: March 31st. 

💜Owner of Miss Lore Tattoos 💜

www.missloretattoos.com   Instagram.com/missloretattoos 

Tough times never last, but tough people do. 

200w.gif

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Dianalorena said:

what is a home owner association? I'm worried now

Just one example of Whose Mercy You Are At, found via random search.  This HOA appears to be particularly heavy-handed, and I would NEVER live under their reign of terror:

Certificate of Compliance & Forms

The Certificate of Compliance (COC) inspection is required prior to the sale of a home.  This inspection focuses on issues of compliance within the deed restriction policies and modification approvals.  The purpose of the inspection is to inform both the property seller and the purchaser of any outstanding violations.  All members that are selling their home must submit a Certificate of Compliance request form (14 business days prior to the closing date).  

After the Certificate of Compliance is requested, an inspector will visit the home and do a thorough inspection of the exterior of the property.  There are three (3) different categories of results.  The are as follows:

• Certificate of Compliance - All items are in compliance with the deed restrictions of ____ and the sale of the home may be completed. 
  • Certificate of Compliance with Provisions - The Certificate of Compliance will be issued when the noted violations are cured.  The sale of the home may be completed, but the buyer must be informed of violations if not cured prior to the sale. 
  • Certificate of Non-Compliance - The home is not in compliance with the deed restrictions of ____ and the sale cannot close until all the violations have been cured.

Forms are below and can be printed and faxed to our office at _____ or mailed/hand delivered  to the office at ____

For more information about Certificates of Compliance please call ____ or e-mail ____

Certificate of Compliance Procedures

Application Forms

Edited by TBoneTX

1 minute ago, TBoneTX said:

"Fund that shop"?

You shall comply with their terror requirements, or they can seize your house.  Goes for any HOA, probably.

Or start issuing fines & legal proceedings.  

Thankfully, there's no HOA where my Fiance and I are buying. I told him in no uncertain terms would I ever agree to live with one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.