Nemeseax

" American dream "

89 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, Orangesapples said:

Pros - husband, California weather, diversity in California (many immigrant communities - so many opportunities for international shopping and dining), polite people, good customer service, variety of products and services (mostly due to population size here), higher salaries if you're privileged enough to have had good education 

Cons - mass shootings, homeless people, religious wackos (not as many in California but still), inequality, poor kids going to school 

hungry, ridiculous Healthcare system, terrible political climate, basic women's rights are still being debated, you need a credit score for everything, people insisting that owning guns is a right, kids not really having equal opportunities, no worker's rights. 

Nailed it! Plus the littering everywhere especially in lakes and rivers. And not only women's rights but human rights... But yeah, you really nailed the cons list. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Faroe Islands
Timeline
47 minutes ago, audacieux89 said:

I did not come to the US because of an "American Dream". Honestly I think it doesn't even exist anymore with the current economy, healthcare, and the government. The sole reason I came here is to be with my then fiance (now husband). I was already living the dream before as an expat--I had a stable job, more than average wage, and living in a country just 4 hours from my home country.

There are other countries that have better economies, benefits, and foreigner-friendly cultures in my opinion.

I agree! Very similar situation as mine! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

The one and only reason for my move to the US is my fiancé. I was never especially interested in moving there in the first place, but now I keep discovering more and more horrible things about the country every day. Racism, bigotry, guns, women's rights, what have you. I'd much rather stay in Finland but it's just more convenient for me to move since I already know English and my fiancé has a steady job in the US...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~This thread is reopened for now. Telling members to not post is against the TOS. Multiple post removed for doing just that and others for quoting said posts. This thread will be kept under admin review if anymore similar posts it will be closed.~~

~~One post remove 

Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, harass, insult, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Unidentified said:

I wrote a whole bunch of stuff but decided it was too negative to post... I have lived here 7 year and I used to love it and now I would love to go back to Sweden. 

Haha, I do this all the time. I figure if I don't abort at least half the things I write then I'll end up looking twice as foolish, stupid and angry than my intent.

My immigrant grandparents lived the American Dream in the early 1900's, but back then they were handed 160 acres of land for $160, and they didn't even have to have the $160 to begin with.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, audacieux89 said:

There are other countries that have better economies, benefits, and foreigner-friendly cultures in my opinion.

Curious: what country has a more foreigner-friendly culture? I mean our current government isn't exactly foreigner friendly, but the US is pretty strong in immigrant assimilation. I suppose Canada and maybe Australia are on par with the US in that regard, but that's about it IMO.  It's also relatively easy to gain citizenship here (once you have a green card at least).

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

Haha, I do this all the time. I figure if I don't abort at least half the things I write then I'll end up looking twice as foolish, stupid and angry than my intent.

My immigrant grandparents lived the American Dream in the early 1900's, but back then they were handed 160 acres of land for $160, and they didn't even have to have the $160 to begin with.

Well I was taught that if you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all :P 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
17 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Curious: what country has a more foreigner-friendly culture? I mean our current government isn't exactly foreigner friendly, but the US is pretty strong in immigrant assimilation. I suppose Canada and maybe Australia are on par with the US in that regard, but that's about it IMO.  It's also relatively easy to gain citizenship here (once you have a green card at least).

I would say that only countries that were founded on something other than shared nationality/ethnicity can be very open to immigrants. 

3 hours ago, dawning said:

It's actually kind of ambiguous; just says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed on, without specifying what kind of arms.

We don't go on and on about the right of people to have bombs, or anthrax, or nuclear weapons, in fact we are mostly eager for those to kept of impulsive hands.  I think it's more cultural norms that have made guns sacred in some peoples minds, and the intent of the framers of the constitution seems like it's open to debate. 

Just a thought, not wanting to get in a war of words or anything.

Yeah, I've always wanted to defend my right to have grenades and nuclear weapons. Also, I want to be able to commute to work in a tank, why isn't that a right, too? 

15 hours ago, Nemeseax said:

Dear people- what do you consider by " American dream " and what is that actually? Why millions of people are trying so hard to come here? Arent expectations a bit too high when reality shows up?

What was your main reason for living here? And  (honestly)are you satisfied or disappointed?

When I was a little kid, I had always dreamed of living in Paris, France. The scenic, romantic and historical architecture they had got me til this day. I've never planned to visit nor live in the US. I've seen the "American dream" as somewhat a fantasy rather than a reality. People in the Philippines go through such hardships and lengths to go the America and to me, it was desperate and hoped I'd never be in that situation. 

But, alas, I met an American and little did I know he would capture my heart. I had tried to fight living in the US as I asked him to stay with me in the Philippines and consider living here permanently. In due time, I decided to throw away my pride and we filled the petition on February 5, 2018. 

My husband had been in the Philippines for a year when we decided to file for my petition and move. He had proven his love in so many ways and so many times that I think, in the back of my mine, it's time for to do the same. 

Growing up, I somehow had a bad impression of the US and had a hard time getting past that. My husband was so patient with me and waited til I'm ready. It also helped that he actually entertained the idea of us living in the Philippines permanently. 

Direct Consular Filling - US Embassy Manila

February 5, 2018 - I-130 petition filed

February 23, 2018 - Approval notice received

March 1, 2018 - Case number received and DS-260 complete

March 5 & 6, 2018 - Medical Examination

March 15, 2018 - Interview

March 23, 2018 - Visa Issued

March 28, 2018 - Visa on-hand

Incoming trips:

May 1, 2018 - Clark to Hongkong / Hongkong to Los Angeles

May 5, 2018 - Los Angeles to Kansas

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

There is no such thing as the American Dream. Everyone with a bit of ambition can make it elsewhere in the world.

If my husband didn't had a minor child, we probably have moved to the Netherlands. But at the same time I do love the wide variety of nature in America. I think that's the only thing that I can say attracted me, that and the weather on the west and east coast.

When it comes to financial independence, I feel people here work their butts off, and the pay is horrible compared with the hours they put in. Quality of life and personal/career balance, when you work for a boss just sucks, there is no such thing as part-time work and being financial independent.

I have traveled a lot, to Asia, Africa, South America,and Europe, and I believe America has like every other country it's pros and cons. 

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

7 hours ago, seck101 said:

My parents moved to the country for better opportunities. My dad.. one of those guys... "I came here with 50 dollars in my pocket". He paid good portion of my education and majority of my brothers. My parents now own a home with 2 cars, they do not live pay check to pay check. They have money they save up. They are not rich, but comfortable in their own way. Considering the conditions what might have been. Most people immigrate to America because of luxury. No matter how comfortable you may be in most parts of the world, U.S has products and conditions that are 1 step up.

- If you are looking for my version of it. I coatailed my father. Trying to one up him by finishing my degree... going for my MBA program. I work in a decent work environment, saving money to buy our own house. Waiting for the wifey to come over first of course. Then continue on a path to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Now if you are asking about my pursuit of happiness... well, that's a whole new level of questioning lol.

This is exactly what parents want...their kids to go one step further! 

5 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

Pros - husband, California weather, diversity in California (many immigrant communities - so many opportunities for international shopping and dining), polite people, good customer service, variety of products and services (mostly due to population size here), higher salaries if you're privileged enough to have had good education 

Cons - mass shootings, homeless people, religious wackos (not as many in California but still), inequality, poor kids going to school 

hungry, ridiculous Healthcare system, terrible political climate, basic women's rights are still being debated, you need a credit score for everything, people insisting that owning guns is a right, kids not really having equal opportunities, no worker's rights. 

I ageee with all your pros. Some of your cons are ALSO my pros! Where I come from we don’t have mass shootings, but we have more homeless, a fair share of religious wackos though not as influential, much worse inequality, much poorer kids hungry at terrible schools, some of which have people stealing the money intended to feed the kids, and some of which still have pit latrines that kids occasionally drown in (and you still have to pay fees even at public schools!), a political climate that has made the US look a bastion of sanity (thankfully things at home seem to be turning up), women’s rights protected in theory but shocking in practice (eg policemen telling battered women they must have upset their husbands to get hit, go home), much stricter gun requirements but many more illegal guns and a much higher gun violence and death rate (including car hijacks being a way of life, and everyone who can afford it has electric fences and private security and everyone who can’t is vulnerable, including a shockingly high rape incidence), healthcare that is first world if you have private insurance and shockingly bad if you have to rely on the public health system. They do have workers rights! One thing on the cons list. Like i said... it’s all relative.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Is the weather similar to what you are used to, being up there in Alaska? I live in the south, so the climate is a huge change for my fiancé, :P .

A's coming to San Diego from a few hundred miles east of Moscow. When we were in Rome last month it was both colder than it will be in SD at any point of the year, and warmer than it will be in her hometown until May...

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

2 hours ago, usmsbow said:

When I was talking about a "foreigner-friendly" culture, I was talking more about the attitude and mindset of the people of the country in welcoming people who are coming in. There will always be foreigners/immigrants that will have better experiences than others. So I am talking about the "others" that had a more difficult time in adjusting and being felt "welcomed".

From my experience, there are a lot of Southeast Asian countries that have opened their arms to foreign workers and actually encouraging them to work and live there. I have firsthand experience in Singapore. New Zealand, the UK to add a few more. Every country has their own laws and regulations about hiring foreigners and immigration---and definitely other countries have an "easier" process than the US.

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

Don’t forget that the term “American Dream” was never coined by or intended for well off people coming from well off places. It was intended for the poor people who couldn’t move up at home because they were born into either the wrong family or the wrong geography, to find a place where hard work meant you could succeed even if you weren’t of the right “class”, religion etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.