Nemeseax

" American dream "

89 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

For us, my staying in America and us working on her coming here, there are more opportunities available here than there are back home for her. The biggest part being the vast amount of income disparity between the US and Thailand. For example, her occupation in Thailand averages about 11,000 baht a month plus commission on up-charges (roughly 354 to 1000 USD), but a friend of her's in the states works a similar job and the pay is $50k+ a year. Also, the education system in America is typically better than that in Thailand, which will be good when we eventually start a family together. Other than that we both love to travel, with a Thai passport we are limited to the number of countries that we can easily travel to. Once she becomes a US citizen and gets a passport we'll be able to more easily travel about to other countries without having to apply for a tourist visa well in advance.

But that does not mean that we are forgoing about visiting or future stay in Thailand. It is a very beautiful country with excellent weather year round. The citizens are generally very nice and the cost of living is relatively cheap. We'll most likely having a home in Thailand as well for vacation purposes and possible retirement in the country.

Removing Conditions 

I-751 Sent:    04-Nov-2020

i-751 Received: 10-Nov-2020

Fee charged: 14-Dec-2020

NoA1: 14-Dec-2020

NoA1 Received: 17-Dec-2020

24 mo. Extension: 15-Nov-2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I think it really depends on where you're coming from. 

Ways my wife is happier:

1. She makes a lot more money than she could in Indonesia (but yes, the costs here are quite a bit higher too)

2. Doesn't have to deal with nearly as many sexist/ageist a-holes. Also doesn't have to hear Islamic fundies chanting for blood of the infidels (yes, it happens even in Indonesia on ocasion).

3. Doesn't have to deal with Indonesian bureaucracy. You think USCIS and the DMV are bad? Sadly, it could be worse! 

4. Health care. Yes, it is much better in the EU, Canada, etc but the US still isn't bad compared to the developing world. The two things that aggravate her about the US though are a) drug prices b) the ER. 

5. Can travel more easily abroad. Just needs her green card to go to Canada. Still needs a Schengen visa and one for the UK, but much less likely to get rejected. 

Things that disappointed her:

1. Dirtier than she expected. She thought American cities would be like Singapore or Hong Kong, while all the suburbs would be immaculate. Eh, no. 

2. She also expected every city to look like NY: tall buildings everywhere. DC (where we first lived) was quite a shock to her since it has no high rises at all. She ended up really liking the city though. 

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Faroe Islands
Timeline

Thank you all ! I have been enjoying reading and I agree with almost all of you. That really depends on your life situation, county of origin. 

As some of you already know, I have come here from Scandinavia.I have travelled a lot arround USA before and have seen a differnt aspects of american life- from the poorest parts to Beverly Hills. Honestly, always loved to visit at vacation. And that is all of my "American dream " haha. Actually that " dream "have just ( as you have mentioned) maybe people from some less developed countries but I  believe that even they very rarely believe that everyehere is as at TV shows.

Coming here has changed my life in many ways and I must admit I miss my work, friends, pets, to hear Swedish language, I miss my home  (F.Islands)also. For us older people that transition is kinda harder then most of you younger ones .

But I have come to Alaska; specific part of America , far from all " business and fancy " parts of the country. Life here is calm and slow and I just love it more and more every day. And nature is hard to describe in just few sentences. 

So for me personally- no any special " American dream " ; just calm and happy life with my  American husband. 

31 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

You think USCIS and the DMV are bad? Sadly, it could be worse! 

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I was tickled pink to see a sign at my local DMV saying that if you’re in the line by closing time you’ll be attended to. Back home, when they close for the day (which is ridiculously early, at 3:30pm, for government departments like these), that’s it. Doesn’t matter that you’ve been standing in line for hours. Counters close and you’re told to come back tomorrow... 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Main reason is to live here with my husband. Since he could not move to Argentina (many reasons) so I had to make the move if we wanted to continue a relationship. No "american dream" involved in my case. 

1 minute ago, Nemeseax said:

So for me personally- no any special " American dream " ; just calm and happy life with my  American husband. 

Well, that sounds like a pretty special American Dream to me ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Nemeseax said:

Thank you all ! I have been enjoying reading and I agree with almost all of you. That really depends on your life situation, county of origin. 

As some of you already know, I have come here from Scandinavia.I have travelled a lot arround USA before and have seen a differnt aspects of american life- from the poorest parts to Beverly Hills. Honestly, always loved to visit at vacation. And that is all of my "American dream " haha. Actually that " dream "have just ( as you have mentioned) maybe people from some less developed countries but I  believe that even they very rarely believe that everyehere is as at TV shows.

Coming here has changed my life in many ways and I must admit I miss my work, friends, pets, to hear Swedish language, I miss my home  (F.Islands)also. For us older people that transition is kinda harder then most of you younger ones .

But I have come to Alaska; specific part of America , far from all " business and fancy " parts of the country. Life here is calm and slow and I just love it more and more every day. And nature is hard to describe in just few sentences. 

Having visited Sweden, I can understand the things you miss about Scandinavia! It is a different kind of place, very beautiful, and some of the most friendly people I have ever met. I'm curious - was transitioning to a profoundly English based country difficult for you at all? I learned pretty quickly that most Swedes speak English already as a secondary language, and didn't have much trouble communicating with locals while there.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline
4 hours ago, Roel said:

Main reason- US husband. Otherwise I never even thought about living in the USA.  I actually don't like it that much  

Watch some typical American movies and you'll see what people consider is American Dream. What they don't realize is that reality is far different. But you know, everyone want to be that reach person with awesome job strolling down the Manhattan with the Starbucks coffee in their hands. I kind of always laugh at people who talk about American dream. USA is country just like any other in the world. Slight worse when you think about education level and health care. 

Roel,   I ' d send that people at our alaskan village haha; I am sure they will be shocked!

But that variety of places, lifestyles, and I dare to say complete infrastucture is just what makes travelling cross USA very interesting. And yes, I  wouldn't move here - my husband is the main reason also 😊

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I being here in the US is solely because of my husband. I am from the Philippines. My parents had been a good provider for me and were able to pay some of my trips abroad. I have a promising career back home. And to top of that i live close to beautiful islands. So again the only reason im here is because the love of my life is here. 😅

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Having visited Sweden, I can understand the things you miss about Scandinavia! It is a different kind of place, very beautiful, and some of the most friendly people I have ever met. I'm curious - was transitioning to a profoundly English based country difficult for you at all? I learned pretty quickly that most Swedes speak English already as a secondary language, and didn't have much trouble communicating with locals while there.

11 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Learning different languages is one of my hobbies- you are right, English is almost as the second language to us and that was not problem at all just not hearing Swedish is kinda " nostalgic ".

My home country is also very very beautiful and specific. All speak good English too😉

Timeline
14 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

The United States of America is where ordinary people can achieve extraordinary things.

But not without a hard work I dare to add. And I hope you agree. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Nemeseax said:

Learning different languages is one of my hobbies- you are right, English is almost as the second language to us and that was not problem at all just not hearing Swedish is kinda " nostalgic ".

My home country is also very very beautiful and specific. All speak good English too😉

I've never visited Faroe Islands but will have to ask my fiancé about it. I loved the part I was able to visit (Gothenburg and Stockholm) and hope I'm able to see much more over time!

Is the weather similar to what you are used to, being up there in Alaska? I live in the south, so the climate is a huge change for my fiancé, :P .

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline
20 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, that sounds like a pretty special American Dream to me ;)

That is for sure! Especially the fact that we have met each other at " the last part of our lives " -"We are both old people 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Paul & Mallory said:

I've never visited Faroe Islands but will have to ask my fiancé about it. I loved the part I was able to visit (Gothenburg and Stockholm) and hope I'm able to see much more over time!

Is the weather similar to what you are used to, being up there in Alaska? I live in the south, so the climate is a huge change for my fiancé, :P .

The weather and even some part of the nature are similar, just nu lifestyle is totally differnt  ( from center of Uppsala- to the center of little village, lol).

Yes, I can really recommand you both to visit F.Islands ! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.