BostonChops

What visa does she need? Please

85 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Okay. Here it goes.

I am a 28 year old male born and raised in the United States. Full US Citizen.

I have been dating a 28 year old female online from the Philippines for about 10 months. We have tried to do as much research as possible.

We are working on a b2 visa because of my fear of flying we cannot do the K1 because we have to meet in person which can't happen unless she comes here.

I plan on marrying here within tje next year but we need to meet first.

My goal is for her to visit me for two months. She will go home and soon after we will try for a K1. 

Is this possible? I know the embassy probably doesn't care about my horrendous fear of flying over to her. If I could I would.

If my above plan isn't the right direction can someone direct me please?

Thanks

Matt

Not trying to be a party pooper but it is rather difficult for a single Filipina lady to obtain a B2. If she wants a B2, she needs to be able to prove really strong ties to PH and to convince the CO at the interview. You just might have to overcome your fear of flying and meet her in PH or a third country.

Here's the K-1 guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Here's the CR-1 guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Compare the fiancee and spousal visas yourself and see what you prefer or feel is best for your situation. 

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

14 minutes ago, BostonChops said:

Okay. Here it goes.

I am a 28 year old male born and raised in the United States. Full US Citizen.

I have been dating a 28 year old female online from the Philippines for about 10 months. We have tried to do as much research as possible.

We are working on a b2 visa because of my fear of flying we cannot do the K1 because we have to meet in person which can't happen unless she comes here.

I plan on marrying here within tje next year but we need to meet first.

My goal is for her to visit me for two months. She will go home and soon after we will try for a K1. 

Is this possible? I know the embassy probably doesn't care about my horrendous fear of flying over to her. If I could I would.

If my above plan isn't the right direction can someone direct me please?

Thanks

Matt

Seeing her and showing Boston (from your profile) would be good for her before settling down as well. At least you can get to know each other even for a short period of time. 

No harm in trying B2 visa but she needs to prove strong ties in the Philippines. She has to be honest to CO as well, like what is the purpose of visit and all. What does she do? How old is she? These all matters. Goodluck :)

IR1 / Nebraska Service Center

07/31/2014 : Married 

02/15/2017: Sent I-130 

02/22/2017: NOA1

03/30/2017: NOA2 YAYYYyyyyy  36 days after NOA1.. Blessed  

04/19/2017: Email from NVC

04/19/2017: DS-261 unlocked

04/21/2017: AOS paid

04/25/2017: IV paid

06/14/2017: Sent AOS Package

06/21/2017: Scan date

08/23/2017: Case Complete (9 weeks)

08/24/2017: Received automatic checklist via email from NVC to bring proof of domicile during interview. Still waiting for Interview Appointment.

08/30/2017: Received email from NVC telling that they will be schedule interview.

09/06/2017: Received email from NVC regarding Interview Date

10/25/2017: Interview Date

09/14/2017: Emailed US Embassy to cancel our interview and postpone as wife is pregnant. USEM mentioned to contact them 3 weeks prior to intended date of appointment. 

I fly to the Philippines all the time, I lived there for a couple of years, met my wife and we often visit home. There is nothing wrong with the fear of flying

but I gotta tell you, you should definitely visit the Philippines its a lot of fun. Why not fly with a safe and reputable airline ? Nothing is gonna happen man.

these big jets are way different from the domestic flights. Just this year alone I've done 5 trans pacific flights.
She can probably apply for a visitor's visa and whip up a good invitation letter on your part. Getting a visitors visa in the Philippines is not extremely difficult, she 

should show strong ties to her home country and being able to financially fund her trip. 

The thing about filing for k1 is to show proof of this legitimate relationship, if you can do so then I don't see it being a problem   

04/21/2016 : Married

11/17/2016 : I-130 sent ( NSO marriage certificate took forever) 

11/23/2016 : I-130 case accepted notified by email NOA1

01/27/2017 : USCIS APPROVED NOA2

02/04/2017 : NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

02/28/2017 : Case received by NVC

03/02/2017 : Agent assigned 

03/07/2017 : Case number assigned with invoice

03/28/2017 : Fees paid (IV and AOS)
04/05/2017 : DS260 online form completed
04/09/2017 : IV and AOS package sent to NVC
04/12/2017 : Requested for NVC expedite
04/17/2017:  NVC expedite approved 

04/18/2017:  In Transit 

04/20/2017: Received in Manila (may schedule for interview)
05/11/2017: SLEC -CLEARED 
05/25/2017: Interview @ Manila Embassy - APPROVED

05/30/2017: VISA on hand plus packet

06/08/2017: POE: California  

06/14/2017: Social Security card received through DS260 filing

06/24/2017: Green card received 

CRBA 

04/10/2017: CRBA sent to Embassy via FedEx 

04/19/2017: Appointment scheduled 

05/04/2017: Interviewed and approved 

05/17/2017: CRBA certificate on hand

05/26/2017: U.S Passport on hand

06/02/2017: Paid for ECC and Extension fees

06/08/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, sy1983 said:

I fly to the Philippines all the time, I lived there for a couple of years, met my wife and we often visit home. There is nothing wrong with the fear of flying

but I gotta tell you, you should definitely visit the Philippines its a lot of fun. Why not fly with a safe and reputable airline ? Nothing is gonna happen man.

these big jets are way different from the domestic flights. Just this year alone I've done 5 trans pacific flights.
She can probably apply for a visitor's visa and whip up a good invitation letter on your part. Getting a visitors visa in the Philippines is not extremely difficult, she 

should show strong ties to her home country and being able to financially fund her trip. 

The thing about filing for k1 is to show proof of this legitimate relationship, if you can do so then I don't see it being a problem   

Some misinformation there buddy. Invites will work against her gf's favor. If the gf can prove strong ties to the country i.e. $$$$$ in the form of assets or liquids then go ahead apply for B2. But the fact remains that high risk countries like the PH has low approval rate for B2.

You just have to face your fear of flying.

Timeline

So you're saying fly there. Visit. Come home back to the states and work on k1?

When I tell you my fear of flying its not just flying. I've been terrified of heights all my life. Like seriously terrified. :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, BostonChops said:

When I tell you my fear of flying its not just flying. I've been terrified of heights all my life. Like seriously terrified. :(

You don't see anything while on the plane anyway, unless you insist sitting by a window. The plane ride is super comfy and safer than a car ride. Are you afraid of riding in a car too? Waaaaay bigger risk of something happening in a car than in a plane.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

6 minutes ago, Scandi said:

You don't see anything while on the plane anyway, unless you insist sitting by a window. The plane ride is super comfy and safer than a car ride. Are you afraid of riding in a car too? Waaaaay bigger risk of something happening in a car than in a plane.

While that's statistically correct, logic doesn't work as an argument against a phobia. You don't go from being irrationally (no offence BostonChops, I have exactly the same issue) terrified including physical symptoms to being okay with flying just by knowing that it's statistically safer than driving.

BostonChops, I'm so sorry I have no simple answers, but they guys up above are solid - if she can provide super super solid ties to PH then she'll have a much better shot at getting a B2 from my understanding. Wish you all the best!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 minutes ago, BostonChops said:

Either fly here to the Philippines or go meet her at a another country. Either way, you will have to fly.

The thing about the B2 visa is the applicant will have to prove they have the financial capacity to fund their tour to the US. They'll have to show a good source of income, properties - house and lot, car, etc. I've read about people who had their fiancee or relatives transfer money to their accounts here in PH. That used to work. Not anymore. The embassy do their homework of course. The thing about that workaround is it raises more red flags. Also, if you don't know you're GF that well it's not really recommended to do that.

When my fiance and I decided we wanted to be together, we did our research. The B2 is not in my favors. I have been to 4 continents and have gone through many visa applications but based on our research that won't be enough to convince the US embassy here. I don't have properties on my name nor a fat bank account. And so we started our K1 journey.

Long distance relationship is going to suck and it will require some sacrifices. The k1 process even though it's supposedly the shortest route, still seemed long and ardous to me. Your first sacrifice might have to be facing your fears of flying.

Edited by notantifun

Timeline

Appreciate all your replies and advice. I don't know what to do. It is a phobia amd maybe ill need to sekl therapy but I am very stressed to know b2 might fail. She has her own farm in the Philippines that gemeratea revenue sp im not sure if that will help convince the embassy she will return home. She has alsp visited Japan a few times and went back home when expected. Maybe that could help also. 

I will still attempt the b2 and hope luck falls in my favor. :(

Get on one of the cargo ships and cruise to Philippines or some third country that both of you can visit? 

Definitely seek treatment for your phobia. These days most airports have a program to help overcome fear of flying. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

6 hours ago, notantifun said:

Some misinformation there buddy. Invites will work against her gf's favor. If the gf can prove strong ties to the country i.e. $$$$$ in the form of assets or liquids then go ahead apply for B2. But the fact remains that high risk countries like the PH has low approval rate for B2.

You just have to face your fear of flying.

Its people like you that have the over-tendency to correct people based on the mere fact that your opinion is better than others. Invites is needed because they are planning on getting marry and

it will serve in the future as one of the proof filing for k-1, can't lie to the CO about the purpose of the trip bro !  Secondly I never said it was easy, I said not extremely difficult to obtain a visa. I don't know what kind

of circle of friends you got over there but most people I know got one without much problem.  

04/21/2016 : Married

11/17/2016 : I-130 sent ( NSO marriage certificate took forever) 

11/23/2016 : I-130 case accepted notified by email NOA1

01/27/2017 : USCIS APPROVED NOA2

02/04/2017 : NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

02/28/2017 : Case received by NVC

03/02/2017 : Agent assigned 

03/07/2017 : Case number assigned with invoice

03/28/2017 : Fees paid (IV and AOS)
04/05/2017 : DS260 online form completed
04/09/2017 : IV and AOS package sent to NVC
04/12/2017 : Requested for NVC expedite
04/17/2017:  NVC expedite approved 

04/18/2017:  In Transit 

04/20/2017: Received in Manila (may schedule for interview)
05/11/2017: SLEC -CLEARED 
05/25/2017: Interview @ Manila Embassy - APPROVED

05/30/2017: VISA on hand plus packet

06/08/2017: POE: California  

06/14/2017: Social Security card received through DS260 filing

06/24/2017: Green card received 

CRBA 

04/10/2017: CRBA sent to Embassy via FedEx 

04/19/2017: Appointment scheduled 

05/04/2017: Interviewed and approved 

05/17/2017: CRBA certificate on hand

05/26/2017: U.S Passport on hand

06/02/2017: Paid for ECC and Extension fees

06/08/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have to tell you I have a TERRIBLE fear of flying and said I would NEVER do it.  However, my husband was not able to get a tourist visa to come see me here.  But he was so important to me that I know only flew there but I flew there multiple times.  Did I like it?  No of course not.  But your doctor can give you medicines if you need it to calm you down.  If she can't get a tourist visa then you have decide if your relationship is more important than your fear of flying. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Lots of options that do not involve flying.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.