Penguin_ie

Trump's future immigration policies- speculation MEGATHREAD

1,208 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, clw654321 said:

I think this only applies to employment based visas and family (parents, siblings). Not for children and spouses. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, clw654321 said:

I haven't seen anything in the Trump plan which affects AOS......but that is a very good question.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

I haven't seen anything in the Trump plan which affects AOS......but that is a very good question.

Yeah... This is really confusing.

Seems like "if" this passes it would eliminate all that are waiting for green cards, have them start over, and go off of if they have needed skills.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

I haven't seen anything on AOS either, it seems more around acquiring the green card - some Visas are tied directly to also receiving the green card like a CR1. The most common results I see on the "spouse" is when an immigrant is coming here but what's to bring their spouse with them. Not so much on a spouse (or fiance) of a U.S. Citizen. 

The article/policy also states potential changes to "immediate relatives" in the family category, such as parents of U.S. citizens no longer being considered immediate relatives.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

He is essentially decreasing the number of green cards based on familial ties. The only exceptions are spouses and children. The same number of green cards will still be awarded, right now its about a million green cards a year. and the percentages are 12% for the point based sysyem mentioned. and that 12 percent is for skilled laborers. he wants to increase that 12 percent to 57 percent, which means that the number of green card applicants based on familial ties will decrease. 

Please do not worry about this.  It will be a very long time before this would possibly be approved and there is no chance that it will be approved as is.

As stated it can impact K and CR visas.  This was originally proposed is 2014 under the Obama Administration but the current discussion is much tougher on the family visa.  It would completely eliminate bring parents and siblings over and even spousal and fiancee visas would be based on a number system assigned to the beneficiary on their expertise.  Do not stress on this.  It won't pass as is and even if it passes it won't be for a very long time.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Probably nothing will happen for the next few years, but this is the first time I see they are planning to remove the spouses of LPR category also. Interesting.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This just sounds like another bandaid fix for a flat tire on the vehicle called USCIS. As most people in these forums knows, the entire USCIS vehicle is in need of dire overhaul.  When is one of our vaunted politico hacks going to take it on as an election pledge? Likely when pigs grow wings. :rofl:  (SADLY!)

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

*** Moved from Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas to "US Immigration News and Discussion" ***

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread on this topic is merged into the existing "speculation" megathread.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 5/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, John & Rose said:

Please do not worry about this.  It will be a very long time before this would possibly be approved and there is no chance that it will be approved as is.

As stated it can impact K and CR visas.  This was originally proposed is 2014 under the Obama Administration but the current discussion is much tougher on the family visa.  It would completely eliminate bring parents and siblings over and even spousal and fiancee visas would be based on a number system assigned to the beneficiary on their expertise.  Do not stress on this.  It won't pass as is and even if it passes it won't be for a very long time.

Thank goodness because this is my last rodeo))))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

No politics intended, but I’m a little concerned about how does the new proposed point system for immigration would affect the pending green card applicants including AOS from K1.. can anyone shed some light on this matter please ?

Edited by ujones

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It would not even if it happened which it will not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.