Penguin_ie

Trump's future immigration policies- speculation MEGATHREAD

1,208 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, GabLuc said:

Ok this is something completely separate than what was proposed because this law is actually ALREADY on the books but now going to be followed. Also if I remember correctly that family already had like 3 or 4 children and it was discussed here before when it happened. 

2 minutes ago, PostOakGuy said:

Exactly and I am glad that it is finally hopefully enforced across the board. 

Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

Ok this is something completely separate than what was proposed because this law is actually ALREADY on the books but now going to be followed. Also if I remember correctly that family already had like 3 or 4 children and it was discussed here before when it happened. 

I think this is what the original poster was asking about, because before we never heard so much talk about it. It is now being brought to light. 

In Port of Spain, the CO do ask, what is your career path when you reach to the US?  What is your skill set? Any plans on further education.. 

All in line with the self sufficiency of the applicant.

Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

Exactly and I am glad that it is finally hopefully enforced across the board. 

YES! 

It's about time. Where I work, I tell the clients, your mother signed an affidavit of support for you, why are you asking for assistance? Do people forget these things when they arrive here?

Baffles me.

8 minutes ago, GabLuc said:

YES! 

It's about time. Where I work, I tell the clients, your mother signed an affidavit of support for you, why are you asking for assistance? Do people forget these things when they arrive here?

Baffles me.

I don't know what the OP was referring to originally but my guess is the immigration proposal that the President wants Congress to vote on. That proposal is being referred to as a way to decrease immigration when all it is limiting is the family based immigration option for siblings and their families not spouses or fiances. That is what I am guessing because it is being spun way out of proportion. 

Also you would be surprised how many posters come on here asking for assistance or Medicaid after bringing in their parents to the country and only then finding out the high price of health insurance for them. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Timeline
16 minutes ago, geowrian said:

That sounds backwards. Refusals of AOS must be substantiated, and a refusal can go through the court system. IOs absolutely do have discretion, but in no way moreso than a CO does in issuing a visa.

CO decisions are protected by the doctrine of consular nonreviewability. Not only do COs have discretion, but their decisions are not bound by judicial review.

Before we filed AOS I paid to speak to one of the top immigration attorneys in our area and she mentioned the exact same thing. You have far more recourse when dealing with a USCIS AOS denial vs a consulate denial. You usually get a "final chance" with an NOID, you can appeal, you can sue USCIS in court, you can re-file and remain in the US. You have the right to have an attorney with you throughout the entire AOS process. If you get a NTA you may get a sympathetic judge who will overturn USCIS's decision and allow you to stay... and so on.  It is incredibly difficult to reverse a consulate decision and requires some serious firepower (eg a senator intervening on your behalf). 

3 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I don't know what the OP was referring to originally but my guess is the immigration proposal that the President wants Congress to vote on. That proposal is being referred to as a way to decrease immigration when all it is limiting is the family based immigration option for siblings and their families not spouses or fiances. That is what I am guessing because it is being spun way out of proportion. 

Also you would be surprised how many posters come on here asking for assistance or Medicaid after bringing in their parents to the country and only then finding out the high price of health insurance for them. 

haha are you kidding me! I wish there was a 10 year work requirement for Medicare/ Medicaid. This is crazy, it erks me, it's a strain. 

Some NYC Hospitals, they put clients on sliding scale, and they pay 10$ or 20$ a month toward their dr visit. 

I am a firm believer you must give to get. I know for food stamps, theres a 5 years minimum residency requirement except for certain classifications, special immigrant, VAWA, Asylee etc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, RamonGomez said:

(eg a senator intervening on your behalf). 

It's a misnomer,  even they don't possess that kind of horsepower 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.