littleminxgirl

I give up. I just give up (merged)

70 posts in this topic

I'm so upset  I just want to sit in a corner and cry. Sorry, this is going to be a long post. I just need to vent and cry to people who understand how unbelievably frustrating this all is.

We finally got our interview in Armenia on Nov 7th.  I flew into the Republic of Georgia where I have an apartment with my fiancé. (He's Iranian, been living in Georgia since January) We finally got a chance to do some sightseeing, visited friends, and got the apartment cleaned up and secured since we'll be gone for at least a few months.

--For those that might not have seen my previous posts, my fiancé left Iran in Nov 2021. We traveled together through Turkiye and Georgia, eventually buying an apartment in Georgia for him to live in while we waited for our appointment. Iranians can only stay in Georgia for 45 days. So we got a lawyer and have been able to get his visa extended to work on the apartment. Since the apartment was unfinished we were able to get multiple extensions. The apartment was supposed to be finished by mid-June. When I flew back at the end of June, I spent the entire time there working on the apartment. This led to a few fights since he was supposed to have the apartment ready before I got there as I'd never been able to really see any of the country, visit the historic sights and whatnot. --

Now I had wanted to change the interview to Georgia since we have a place there and Armenia is expensive, but he was adamant that we stick with Armenia because any change might cause a delay in our case. He also said that the embassy in Georgia doesn't do K1 interviews for Iranians.  ( I had wanted to send in the change of venue well before we got our NVC2, so I doubt it really would have been an issue) So we did our tourist thing, then packed up and headed to Armenia on 10/31. At the border there's an issue because his current visa extension was not approved, meaning that he's in the country illegally. He did not tell me that his visa had expired. So, of course, I am upset. He said it's being worked on by the lawyer and not to worry about it. Of course I'm worried, this could cause major problems! I'm also upset because he hid this from me. I already have major trust issues, so I'm not happy at this point.

I hadn't been feeling well for a few days, and I ended up coming down with either an extremely nasty cold, or RSV. It was not covid, but it was pretty awful. I spent most of my time in Armenia in the hotel room bed. We went through his paperwork and checklist as soon as we got to the hotel. I read through the checklist and double checked that he had everything listed. I noticed that while he had a police report from Iran, he did not have one from Georgia. I asked him about it, and he said that he's asked but was told that without a Georgian ID card, they didn't issue them. I thought that was strange and that he needed to go to the Georgian embassy in Armenia to see if they could give him one. He also said he was going to go by the Iranian embassy to see if he could get an updated one as his was now a year old. 

So off he goes to his medical appointment on Thursday. He gets back and tells me that his medical paperwork will be ready on Friday afternoon and that the Iranian embassy said it would take a week for a new police report. Since our appointment is on Monday, that's not going to work.  I ask about Georgia and he just brushes is off- they don't need it, it's only for people with ID cards, it's not important. Now I don't know where he's getting this information, but again, I'm extremely sick and not really super aware of anything. I'm just trying to breath and sleep. The next day he goes to get his medical report, and I ask him to at least call the Georgian embassy to double check that they don't do police reports. When he  gets back from the doctor's office I ask him how everything went, and he says everything is good. Monday morning rolls around and we head off to the interview. I waited while he went from window to window. Fingerprints, checking paperwork, etc. I did hear one lady ask about the Georgian police report. He tells them that Georgia doesn't give police reports to people who aren't residents with Georgian ID numbers. They write a few things down and tell him to wait to be called up for his interview. 

He goes to the last window, is there for maybe 15 minutes. I can hear a tiny bit of what is being said. Things about how we met, where we've traveled, etc. Finally he comes back and says the interviewer would like to speak to me. I go up to the window and the man was very nice. He said I'm telling you what I told him. "He needs the Georgian police report before we can issue him a visa". So basically he's denied until we get that report. I tell the gentleman that we've been having problems with getting the report because he doesn't have a Georgian ID card. He smiles and says "just go to the Georgian embassy and they'll give you one".  So now I'm extremely angry with my fiancé. Like why didn't you get this done? Did you actually call the embassy? Did you really try to get the report, or are you listening to other people and taking their stupid advice as facts? (This has been an issue before)

He promises to go to the Georgian embassy after dropping me off at the hotel (still super sick, being out of bed and moving for so long has just worn me out) On the way to the hotel he's on the phone speaking Farsi. We get to the hotel and he tells me he's talked to our lawyer in Georgia and she's going to get the police report. I'm still upset. I ask him why he didn't do this while we were in Georgia. He has loads of excuses. "The report is only valid for a month, it would have been expired before we got to the interview" I wanted to go to the main government building in Tbilisi, but you were ready to go home to Batumi" "I wanted to make sure you got a chance to see all the waterfalls and caves this trip, I didn't have time to get the police report and go see these places"

I went off on him. How dare he try to pin this on me. He had ample time before I got to Georgia to get this document. We also had plenty of time to go get it while I was there. I didn't know that he needed this paperwork, or I would have gotten it done first thing! Had I not been sick in Armenia, I would have gone to the embassy and asked. I could not believe he was using me as an excuse to not get this document.

I had to fly home on the 9th to get back to work. I fly home, he gets the pdf of the police report the next morning. He goes to the embassy and, of course, they need the original. I had told him they would need an original, but he keeps saying, "no, a printout is ok."

Have I mentioned Armenia is expensive? There aren't a lot of hotels and hostels with vacancies right now. So he stays an additional night in the $80 a nice hotel before finding  a hostel for $30 a night. I've left him with all the cash I could as well as a visa card from my Georgian bank account for emergencies. It takes 3 days for the original police report to be mailed to him in Armenia. He goes back to the US embassy on Monday and turns it in. I'm looking at flights and after this Wednesday 11/16, the prices start to shoot up for the holidays. On 11/16  I can get a one way to the US for $700. By Thursday they're $900 and each day after that they go up and up an up...

We get an email today that the Police report is from the wrong agency. He needs another one... I give up...

There's no way he'll be here for Thanksgiving.. probably won't be here for Christmas. I don't know if he can get back into Georgia because of the overstaying his visa thing.. I just can't. 

I'm ready to tell him he's on his own now. Go back to Iran or find a way to support yourself. I just can't keep doing this. I don't know if he truly believed he didn't need this document even though it clearly states on the paperwork that it's needed. I don't know if he wants to just stay living overseas on my dime? I've been killing myself pulling as much overtime as I can, sleeping in my truck to save on expenses when I travel for work, just doing anything to save for this trip over there. I don't know if he just doesn't understand how much this is costing me. Does he just not care? I just don't know anymore. I have an empty apartment in Georgia and I'm paying for hotels in Armenia for an indefinite period of time. I just give up. Over 18 months of waiting and it's over because he didn't tell me he didn't have that damn police report. Maybe I could have done something while I was there if I'd known earlier. This was the only thing he had to do and he completely dropped the ball.  I just quit. Clearly the universe doesn't want this to happen. I'm having a very difficult time respecting him and trusting him when he just blew this whole thing off like it wasn't an important thing to get.. I just don't understand.. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I'm going to be really upset for the next few days. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, littleminxgirl said:

This was the only thing he had to do and he completely dropped the ball.  I just quit. Clearly the universe doesn't want this to happen. I'm having a very difficult time respecting him and trusting him when he just blew this whole thing off

You've said it yourself.

By the way, hugs to you.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

13 hours ago, littleminxgirl said:

I've been killing myself pulling as much overtime as I can, sleeping in my truck to save on expenses when I travel for work, just doing anything to save for this trip over there. I don't know if he just doesn't understand how much this is costing me. Does he just not care? I just don't know anymore. I have an empty apartment in Georgia and I'm paying for hotels in Armenia for an indefinite period of

You are definitely the workhorse pulling the heavy load…and perhaps your future married life will be more of the same dynamics. Maybe he is more of the show room / race horse type. 
Is it worth it? Only your heart can decide. 

Many men have no issue sponsoring foreign wives , without a pre nup agreement that wife must work.

Will your fellow expect you to do the heavy lifting throughout your marriage? If so, are you okay to stay in that role? 

The last thing you want to do is allow the built up frustration/ resentments to grow because even righteous indignation leads to cracks in intimacy bonds and useless fights.

So don’t judge a fish by how well he climbs a tree….just take a moment and decide if you want to throw him back in the pond or keep him because of his magnificent beauty.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
14 hours ago, littleminxgirl said:

I don't know if he wants to just stay living overseas on my dime?

This. You said it.

Do you think this man will change once he arrives to the US?

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

What's the age difference here? 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I am so sorry that you're going through this. When it comes to relationships, always trust your instincts. Also, you're not even married and it looks like he's acting like a chainball. Better to cut ties now than to expect someone to change imho. Especially someone that might have been raised to believe that their gender is superior and that everything needs to be done for them. Big no no.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Aluvaboy said:

This is a cultural thing! In some parts of the world, men are indoctrinated that they are superior to women and they have to call the shots! They are seldom going to change. Whether they come to the USA or land in Mars!

I don't follow your logic but if he was indeed "indoctrinated" that he was superior to his fiancée - he surely would at least make an effort to a) provide b) not suck in every way possible. 

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
32 minutes ago, .yana said:

I don't follow your logic but if he was indeed "indoctrinated" that he was superior to his fiancée - he surely would at least make an effort to a) provide b) not suck in every way possible. 

Could go both ways. Some of them that think they're superior will provide, whereas some others will pretend the woman to do everything for them. 

And yes, I 100% agree with you he sucks in every way possible.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Op, you are taking the relationship and the immigration process seriously and diligently. And he's being lackadaisical it. This will upset anyone especially considering the sweat and money that has already been put into it. Seems you are cutting your losses and moving on; good for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.