H & T

How bad is ROC?

40 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

How much of a hassle is the ROC process? I have my visa in hand but I'm debating if I should enter the US after our 2nd wedding anniversary to get the 10 year GC. My visa is valid until end of January and our second wedding anniversary is mid January so visa validity isn't an issue. My husband and I would rather move sooner, but I've also read how much of a pain removing conditions is, so it's giving us pause. 

Any experiences/insight/advice?

It all depends on you. You will read all sorts of experiences on this site but it won't determine how yours will go. In my experience, I filed May 2019 and completed the ROC process April 2020...no RFE or interview. I sent in a lot of evidence. Its a lot of patience and playing the hurry up and lets wait game. 

AOS
09/23/2016 - I-130 & I-485 Concurrent Filing 
09/27/2016 - I-485 NOA date 
10/2016 - Biometrics 11/03/2016 - RFE for I-864 
11/7/2016 - Sent response 
12/14/2016 - Case ready for interview
03/28/2017 - Interview scheduled for May 3rd 2017 
05/01/2017 - Interview canceled: (waiting on other paperwork to be transferred) 
07/14/2017 - New interview scheduled for 8/28/2017 
8/28/2017 - Interview attended  Approved on spot 
09/14/2017 - Received PR card for 2YR

ROC Process:
*Earliest filing date 5/30/2019
5/29/2019 - Sent ROC packet via Fedex overnight to Lewisville, TX
5/30/2019 - Packet delivered and signed
6/4/2019 - Text notification for case received with EAC#
6/6/2019 - NOA1 received
6/29/2019 - Biometrics letter received
7/10/2019 - Attended biometrics
4/10/2020 - New Card is being produced
4/13/2020 - Case was Approved
4/15/2020 - Approval notice received

4/17/2020 - Card was received
**No transfers, No RFE, No interview**

59 minutes ago, H & T said:

Hi Everyone,

How much of a hassle is the ROC process? I have my visa in hand but I'm debating if I should enter the US after our 2nd wedding anniversary to get the 10 year GC. My visa is valid until end of January and our second wedding anniversary is mid January so visa validity isn't an issue. My husband and I would rather move sooner, but I've also read how much of a pain removing conditions is, so it's giving us pause. 

Any experiences/insight/advice?

I think it's $400 extra if you enter before 2 yrs of marriage and go through ROC vs getting the 10 yr. You'll basically have to gather evidence again like you did at the interview. I wouldn't want to do that again, so we're entering after 2 yrs of marriage. 

Filed: Timeline

imo With this pandemic, who knows what international travel will look like in January. It might be much better than these days but who knows? You don't want to be stuck overseas with only 2 weeks visa validity remaining. Maybe get a direct flight to the US or closest international POE just to activate the GC just in case you still want to travel in January?

Edited by xyz12345

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, user555 said:

I think it's $400 extra if you enter before 2 yrs of marriage and go through ROC vs getting the 10 yr. You'll basically have to gather evidence again like you did at the interview. I wouldn't want to do that again, so we're entering after 2 yrs of marriage. 

I-751 fee is $595.  To increase to $760 if the proposed fee changes goes through (was to be in effect today, but was enjoined due to lawsuit filed in CA).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I would definitely wait if I thought I could fly out then........We filed my wife's I-751 in March 2019.  Waiting for an interview since May 2019.  I would avoid it.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

It’s not a pain if you can read English and follow instructions. An Inconvenience? Maybe. Plus it costs money. I think a lot of people would say to wait until your second anniversary to immigrate since it’s sort of close- however that’s a decision for you and your husband. Who knows If countries will shut down come January and you can’t fly out And then you risk a visa expiring. There is so much uncertainty in the world and personally I think it will get worse that I wouldn’t change it and I would   Have left when the visa was issued.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

We filed in early 2017 and it didn’t move until we filed N400 in 2018.  Wife had combo interview in July 2018 and approved both I751 and N400, oath in Aug 2018

wasn’t hard putting the package together and filing online but still feels like money wasted.  

Thank you so much for all of the responses!

3 hours ago, Pats5415 said:

It all depends on you. You will read all sorts of experiences on this site but it won't determine how yours will go. In my experience, I filed May 2019 and completed the ROC process April 2020...no RFE or interview. I sent in a lot of evidence. Its a lot of patience and playing the hurry up and lets wait game. 

Fair point. 

3 hours ago, xyz12345 said:

imo With this pandemic, who knows what international travel will look like in January. It might be much better than these days but who knows? You don't want to be stuck overseas with only 2 weeks visa validity remaining. Maybe get a direct flight to the US or closest international POE just to activate the GC just in case you still want to travel in January?

2 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

I would definitely wait if I thought I could fly out then........We filed my wife's I-751 in March 2019.  Waiting for an interview since May 2019.  I would avoid it.

This is actually one of the things I'm worried about because we'd be cutting it close, especially as I heard Malaysia banned people from the Philippines from entering due to COVID last month. While spouses have gotten preferential treatment, who knows when that will change? Were COVID not an issue, I'd probably delay but now, my husband is leaning towards just leaving while we still can. 

3 hours ago, user555 said:

Fair point. That's definitely a consideration too, in addition to @Lucky Cat's experience of the super delayed interview. 

2 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

It’s not a pain if you can read English and follow instructions. An Inconvenience? Maybe. Plus it costs money. I think a lot of people would say to wait until your second anniversary to immigrate since it’s sort of close- however that’s a decision for you and your husband. Who knows If countries will shut down come January and you can’t fly out And then you risk a visa expiring. There is so much uncertainty in the world and personally I think it will get worse that I wouldn’t change it and I would   Have left when the visa was issued.

Lol at first sentence. When I checked USCIS' instructions and the guide here on VJ, it seemed doable, but the stories of long interview wait times and how it can be a hassle to travel when you just have the stamp have been weighing on me. Obviously if my visa expired before I could enter, it would be a moot point so that's the bigger issue.

1 hour ago, Mollie09 said:

I filed with a divorce waiver so slightly more nerve-racking than the normal process. It cost money to file, I also paid for a lawyer to help me gather evidence for my specific situation, and collecting evidence took A LOT of time and printing.

I filed December 2015 and was approved February 2017 with no interview. In the meantime I had an expired green card and had to explain ROC every time I traveled, which was a lot, and when I got a new job. I also had to deal with the uncertainty of not knowing whether it'd be approved, so I didn't buy a house when I had the chance, and made other decisions with an eye on having to leave. Mentally, it was way more expensive than monetarily.

We're planning on traveling so thank you for sharing your experience regarding that. I'm a bit worried about explaining ROC. Did it take long to explain or were they familiar with it? I can only imagine the mental toll the whole process took and I'm sorry you had to go through it, though I'm glad you were approved and not have to worry about that aspect.

Thank you again for chiming in! Your responses have been very helpful. I think what I've gathered here is we should have moved our wedding up a few months lol we're probably going to move sooner rather than later.

I would wait, it's a hassle collecting all the paperwork and putting it together and then waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting a bit more

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

It's not the worst thing in the world but it's a hassle I'd rather not deal with it. I'm currently waiting and my life is just going on as normal but since I had an interview in the US, it's unlikely I'll get an interview for ROC but you probably will. Also, the people looking to get a stamp when they need it and being unable to... Plus the expense, not just for filing but for assembling the package. It's best avoided if possible but if you have compelling reasons to fly sooner, then I wouldn't let ROC stop me. 

If I were in your position, I'd wait. But it's up to you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

It's a very simple process, but takes a long time to put the package together and then there's a crazy long wait for most to have their applications adjudicated. Who knows what it'll look like 2 years from now. 

Since you're coming on a CR-1 you're most likely going to have an interview for your ROC too.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

It took me a couple of hours, but I kept a shoe box and drop my documents as I got them during my first two years in the US. 

I've traveled extensively with the extension letter (I would have to check my passport, but many trips, to about 10 countries, and I never had an issue).

In your shoes, with the pandemic, I would travel sooner, rather than later.  If you're certain you will be able to travel after your second wedding anniversary, and you hate paperwork, then maybe consider coming later.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.