dwheels76

Refused Visa because of Facebook choices???

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Posting for a friend. Country is Nigeria.

Male friend had interview and was asked the usual questions

1. What's her name?

2. How did you met?

3. How many times did she visit?

4. Does she have children?

5. Do you have children?

The issue was on the How you met. Seems the CO was not convinced of their relationship and has asked him to write a letter of statement why he only request Americans as friends?

Has anyone heard of such a thing? How does one address such a situation? One thing he did say was he use to have over 500 friends from all nationalities, but deleted them after marriage (jealousy of wife) and now reduced to about 60 friends all who are family friends and all American. Which I told him looks suspect.

Seems wild the Embassy went back and look at the log if friends and deleted friends. Could this be the issue?

Seeking help and advice how to address this matter.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

It's not the first time I've seen them raise the Facebook friends concern. Basically, they are looking for people who are specifically targeting Americans.

I have no idea what exactly they can see....e.g. a history of friends. Maybe they can and maybe they cannot. Assume they can.

As for how to address it, the only advice I have is to be honest and explain exactly what was explained here. I would probably skip the part about jealousy....but just explain that he had more friends but did a cleanup and removed the ones he no longer regularly interacts with.

It may or may not still look odd, but it is what it is at this point.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
13 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

IT appears that he was making international friends with the goal of escaping Nigeria.  You didn't mention how many of his friends are Nigerians .   If none or only a few it looks very much like he was trolling for a golden ticket out of the country.

Reading the original post that was my assumption.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OK, I agree that on paper it looks suspicious. But the layers of it is what is causing the doubt. 

The 500 friends is not an issue to me. But if a person was to dig deeper, what will they find out about the 500 friends? Were they all of the opposite sex of the beneficiary? Were they all living in America or developed/Western countries? 

Deleting that meany friends on Facebook because a significant other is jealous does look highly suspicious. In fact, it can be argued that if the wife is jealous, it may be because she saw those "friends" as a threat or competition.

IDK about this one. This is new to me and may be new territory for VJ.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
41 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It's not the first time I've seen them raise the Facebook friends concern. Basically, they are looking for people who are specifically targeting Americans.

I have no idea what exactly they can see....e.g. a history of friends. Maybe they can and maybe they cannot. Assume they can.

As for how to address it, the only advice I have is to be honest and explain exactly what was explained here. I would probably skip the part about jealousy....but just explain that he had more friends but did a cleanup and removed the ones he no longer regularly interacts with.

It may or may not still look odd, but it is what it is at this point.

Very sound advice. I can always count on you to be the voice of wisdom. Thank you.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Make sure your friend knows about the travel ban for Nigerians starting next week. They are facing an uphill battle now with this denial.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

7 hours ago, dwheels76 said:

...he use to have over 500 friends from all nationalities, but deleted them after marriage (jealousy of wife) and now reduced to about 60 friends all who are family friends and all American...

That... that right there...sticks out.

500-60 = 440

So, 440 women were problems with the presumed jealous EX-wife?

And, of the 60 family and friends who remain, how many of them are in America?

Frankly, I applaud the IO on this one.

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Sorry, did not share the advice, which in this case is very straightforward - 

Tell the absolute truth.

And let DOS & USCIS do their jobs.

Problem solved.

In this case, you say - "Male friend had interview and was asked the usual questions."

So, hasn't his ship already sailed?

What happened at the interview? AP?

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

Interesting story. Was his FB account listed in his DS-160 as a social media handle? or was his FB account picked out for some reason among in other social media handles?

Edited by Pmta1

I learned the hard way, I hope YOU don't have to. Advice: learn, learn, learn.

Sometimes the applicant run his/her mouth and provide a lot of unnecessary information just trying to be casual and open...or “too open” I should say. If the CO got to it by himself I applaud him too.

Edited by Downloader

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

This is the kind of thoroughness by consular officers I applaud, no the arbitrary refusals that are all too common.

Was your friend targeting American women to come and harvest the American dollar, to quote Mama Chantelle from 90 Day Fiancé? From the evidence it appears suspiciously so.

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

3 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

And everyone who read this thread slowly backs away to check their Facebook settings 🚶🏻‍♀️🚶🏻‍♀️💃💃💃 😂😂

Oh dear.  If USCIS/DOS spies on mine, they will find I’m obsessed with Great Pyrenees doggos, weather, and The Onion.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.