KCSANTOS

Have not seen fiance within 2-year period before filing petition.

45 posts in this topic

Is there a chance where my petition can be approve even if I didn't see my fiance within the 2-year period before I file for a petition? I have to tell our story so anybody can understand how we got engaged and how I decided to file the petition even if I had not seen her for 2 years now. 

Have known her before I left the Philippines. We were both members of Singles for Christ (SFC). She became my girlfriend when I got here in the US but we separated due to my wrongdoings. When I went back home year 2012 to attend to my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary, she was there with her boyfriend. She needs closure that's why she wanted to talk to me but I realized that night that I truly love her and I can feel that she still has something for me then but she was committed to somebody else. So I left the Philippines and tried to communicate with her when I get back here in the US. Tried to be in contact with her for almost a year until she just suddenly disappears. No social media acct, no phone calls. No nothing. It was only in late of 2016 when I started communicating to her mom asking how she's doing. Until one time she sent me a message. That's how we started again. Until we got engaged last year through the help of my Uncle who is also her friend. Her parents were so gracious enough when I called them to ask for their daughter's hand in marriage and give us their blessings. We are after all in the right age. I'm 31 and she's 3yrs older than I am. Yes it was an engagement made long distance but it worked for us. Now since we are going to start our family here I don't want to spend money for plane ticket to get there. I would just save it for her plane ticket to get here and for our wedding. Also I helped my parents secure portion of the downpayment to buy the house where we currently live now. This is the reason why I'm kind of financially tight right now.  We will, however, once we are stable will find our home for us. 

So do you think, with all those reasons can I send K1 petition without seeing my fiance within the 2-year period before filing? The eligibilty to file for K1 petiion states:

You and your fiancé(e) met each other in person at least once within the 2-year period before you file your petition. You may request a waiver of this in-person meeting requirement if you can show that meeting in person would:

• Violate strict and long-established customs of your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice; or
  • Result in extreme hardship to you, the U.S. citizen petitioner.

Thank you to all respondents and I appreciate you all for your insights.

KC

I concur. An I-129F would have a zero chance of approval under those circumstances.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

No. 

That's not extreme hardship at all 🙄

(L)Our Timeline(L)

2015 Nov 03 - met online app (Skout)

2016 Jan 18 - became couple officially

2017 Sep 15 - met for the first time in person (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 03 - met for the 2nd time (USA to Singapore - 2 weeks)

2018 Feb 08 - got engaged 

2018 Sep 01 - met for the 3rd time (Singapore to USA - 2 weeks)

2019 May 31 - 4th meeting :goofy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 22 - I129f sent (DIY)

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

worries before approval:

1) submitted 1 statement/letter of intent both signed by the pet/ben

2) petitioner's accidentally/stupidly committed DWI after i129f submission

2019 Jan 16 - NOA2 (140 days from Noa1 - No RFE)

2019 Feb 06 - case received by NVC (21 days from Noa2)

2019 Feb 08 - case number received

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Feb 25 - case received by SG consulate

2019 Feb 28 - Packet 3 received

2019 Mar 04 - Packet 3 sent back to SG consulate

2019 Mar 07 - Packet 4 received (interview schedule)

2019 Mar 12 - Medical (additional vaccine on 19 Mar)

2019 Mar 27 - Interview (221g, medical results pending)

2019 Mar 27 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 27 - Clinic sent medical results to Embassy

2019 Mar 28 - Administrative Processing

2019 Mar 29 - Application Received

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you truly love her find the money to travel to Philippines 'tomorrow" to see your future wife,  so you can fulfil one of the biggest requirements of K1 petition. Otherwise, USCIS will think there's some fraud going on and deny your petition. Not an iota of chance they'll wave that requirement based on your circumstances.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

If you truly love her find the money to travel to Philippines 'tomorrow" to see your future wife,  so you can fulfil one of the biggest requirements of K1 petition. Otherwise, USCIS will think there's some fraud going on and deny your petition. Not an iota of chance they'll wave that requirement based on your circumstances.

Edited by ourjourney_pc

(L)Our Timeline(L)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

worries before approval:

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Roel said:

I don't think they filed yet.

That said, last time he saw her was in 2012.... and yet apparently paying for the plane ticket is too much to see if they are even compatible anymore.

Yeah sorry my bad😅.. That's why I deleted my response.. I had to read it again 

Edited by ourjourney_pc

(L)Our Timeline(L)

K1 Visa Timeline:

2018 Aug 29 - NOA1

worries before approval:

2019 Feb 19 - left NVC

2019 Apr 01 - Issued

2019 Apr 04 - VOH

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 hours ago, KCSANTOS said:

Is there a chance where my petition can be approve even if I didn't see my fiance within the 2-year period before I file for a petition? I have to tell our story so anybody can understand how we got engaged and how I decided to file the petition even if I had not seen her for 2 years now. 

Have known her before I left the Philippines. We were both members of Singles for Christ (SFC). She became my girlfriend when I got here in the US but we separated due to my wrongdoings. When I went back home year 2012 to attend to my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary, she was there with her boyfriend. She needs closure that's why she wanted to talk to me but I realized that night that I truly love her and I can feel that she still has something for me then but she was committed to somebody else. So I left the Philippines and tried to communicate with her when I get back here in the US. Tried to be in contact with her for almost a year until she just suddenly disappears. No social media acct, no phone calls. No nothing. It was only in late of 2016 when I started communicating to her mom asking how she's doing. Until one time she sent me a message. That's how we started again. Until we got engaged last year through the help of my Uncle who is also her friend. Her parents were so gracious enough when I called them to ask for their daughter's hand in marriage and give us their blessings. We are after all in the right age. I'm 31 and she's 3yrs older than I am. Yes it was an engagement made long distance but it worked for us. Now since we are going to start our family here I don't want to spend money for plane ticket to get there. I would just save it for her plane ticket to get here and for our wedding. Also I helped my parents secure portion of the downpayment to buy the house where we currently live now. This is the reason why I'm kind of financially tight right now.  We will, however, once we are stable will find our home for us. 

So do you think, with all those reasons can I send K1 petition without seeing my fiance within the 2-year period before filing? The eligibilty to file for K1 petiion states:

You and your fiancé(e) met each other in person at least once within the 2-year period before you file your petition. You may request a waiver of this in-person meeting requirement if you can show that meeting in person would:

• Violate strict and long-established customs of your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice; or
  • Result in extreme hardship to you, the U.S. citizen petitioner.

Thank you to all respondents and I appreciate you all for your insights.

KC

The immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and...........MONEY.   In my opinion, you have not described extreme hardship..........you will have to buckle down, and let go of some money for a visit to see her.........and preferably, several visits......before you file.  Good Luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.