eratsu10

Unemployed seeking to be with significant other

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, eratsu10 said:

If we were to marry and just keep doing visits to one another would there be a point where we would qualify for something without requiring sponsorship.

You will need a sponsor if you want to live together in the US...there's no way around that requirement.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Joint sponsor doesn't have to be family, correct? Just thinking OP may have friends who can help out.

Your best option would be to marry and then file for a spousal visa. K1 would have her be in the country for a few months without work authorization, which means you'd still take on the role of your mother's caretaker because it counts as work she's not authorized to do. That would effectively leave both of you without any opportunity to make money for months, which would be tough.

Getting married is a few months out right now if you're not intending to visit each other until later this summer or in the fall, so good news is you have some time to look for a joint sponsor. After you've filed, the petition + visa will take 12-15 months to process, so you have additional time to figure out the financials. If for example your Norwegian gf is able to work during that time and can save up some money, that could count.

h

8 hours ago, eratsu10 said:

If we were to marry and just keep doing visits to one another would there be a point where we would qualify for something without requiring sponsorship.

Somebody gotta pay to cover the cost of living for the new immigrant, and that ain't gonna be the US Government. That is the point of the sponsor. It is a legally enforceable contract between an individual and the US Government, that states: "I will pay for the cost of living of this person, in the event that for whatever reasons, this person can't pay for themselves." And part of it is, they want to make sure whoever signs that contract has the ability to pay. They won't let just any deadbeats sign it, but because what's the point if the person signs and has no ability to pay. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If your Mom has $2000 a month plus a pension from Boeing, you may be able to find some solution to pay for a home health care person to come in while you find a job and start working.  There are also jobs you could get working at home, this is becoming very common these days.  I would suggest that you figure out a way to work and earn enough income yourself to be the sole sponsor, unless of course you are able to find another friend or relative willing to co-sponsor your future spouse.  Also I suggest taking your time with this since you haven't even met once yet.  Marriage is a big commitment so don't rush into it.  And as others have said, don't take a chance on doing anything illegal, like your friend coming over to the US as a tourist under false pretenses, with intent to stay and live with you.  That could backfire big time, it's not worth the risk.  She may even be turned away at POE if coming on ESTA when she says she is coming to stay with a love interest in the US, so be prepared for that too.  And always be honest when asked a question by CBP.  Good luck with your visa journey!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like the OP has some sort of back up system as otherwise could not travel.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Even if you didn't have to worry about your mother and ever think about doing it the other way, the income requirement for immigrating to Norway is even more than the income requirement to bring them here, and there's no system for joint sponsorship there. Joint sponsors don't have to be family or people you live with, although it helps. 

What sort of job did you do before taking care of your mother? Perhaps there's a way that you can remote-work using those skills to be able to take care of your mother and make something. 

Who cares for your mother when you're doing your trips, or is your person the one who always comes here? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
11 hours ago, eratsu10 said:

I honestly am unsure for my mothers taxes. We had considered hiding her here, but the penalty of never being able to come to us again, and possible criminal charges is to big a price.

Is there an option for a non joint sponsor, or does sponsor need to be able to cover the detriment I offer towards sponsorship of partner?

No such thing as a Non Joint sponsor. The joint sponsor must meet the income guidelines of their household plus the intending immigrant.

You might need to ask those estranged relatives or ask friends. Joint sponsor can be anybody. They don;t have to be related to you.

Bless you journey have a happy fun first meeting.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Another One of the things that immigration would question is:

how do you afford trips if you do not work?

you say 24/7 care for your mom,  who cares for her when you are gone?

you don't need to answer here but these are taken into account at any interview by the CO

Basically your mom's income or medical insurance (medicare ) can provide care for her so you can work and go thru this process

said by another member on here about immigration

it is not fast

it is not easy and

it is not cheap

good luck and the best to you as  a couple

you can get thru it but it will take an income, patience and time

Personally I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself, visit each other first and see how it is spending time with each other. Online to real life is different,. Enjoy each other's company first and get to know each other inside out before you make any decisions.  you don't want to give uscis any red flags!! And a heads up, don't go hiding people that's against the law lol 

13 hours ago, eratsu10 said:

My mother receives 2300 a month from ssi or ssa forgot which and a pension from boeing all together, but has extensive medical fees and doesn't qualify to pay taxes so she adamantly refuses to file. When my mother passes the property does pass to me, but that is not something I'd hope for, and hopefully far off.

We are planning to be meeting this summer with a month visit here, then a month visit there in fall, and a 90 ish day visit in spring, which we would make final decisions during. Currently we just video chat most of day everyday.

We are both legally able to marry.

If your mom collects SS and a pension from Boeing I am almost 100% sure she should be filing taxes whether she owes anything or not.  When she passes the house may in fact not go to you.  It might end up going to the IRS for years of back taxes, interest, fines, etc...  She better check with a CPA before she loses her house.

5 hours ago, LizM said:

Joint sponsor doesn't have to be family, correct? Just thinking OP may have friends who can help out.

Correct. Any US Citizen or Permanent Resident holder, can be a joint-sponsor. Doesn't necessarily have to the related to the immigrant or petitioner.

Edited by Sav&Har

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

This is somewhat unrelated to immigration per se, but I have a couple of trans friends in both my home country and from college in the US, and you'll want to be take into consideration that medical expenses in the US will be much higher and probably a lot less friendly than those in Norway. That's an unfortunate, additional wrinkle to consider before she moves.

If your partner works in Norway, she could perhaps enter the diversity visa lottery while you work on sponsorship and income?

Edited by AffableAndy

6 hours ago, kris&me said:

Another One of the things that immigration would question is:

how do you afford trips if you do not work?

you say 24/7 care for your mom,  who cares for her when you are gone?

you don't need to answer here but these are taken into account at any interview by the CO

Basically your mom's income or medical insurance (medicare ) can provide care for her so you can work and go thru this process

said by another member on here about immigration

it is not fast

it is not easy and

it is not cheap

good luck and the best to you as  a couple

you can get thru it but it will take an income, patience and time

This is 100% correct in how they will think.

My husbands K-1 required us to have a total of Three I-134's sent in. Mine as the main sponsor, my mother, and our friend.

My situation was similar to the OPs. My daughter has special needs and is disabled so I stayed at home and took care of her. She received money from the government, and my father and husband (fiance at the time) supported me the rest of the way.

When it came to K-1 interview, even though my mother provided enough info and made more than the required amount to sponsor someone, the CO told my husband that  he just had a feeling and said that everything looked great, but he just wasn't sure about the public charge side of things. My husband left the interview with a 221(g) asking for ANOTHER joint sponsor.

We used the exact same info for AOS, and my husband got his Green Card with my mother cosponsoring for AOS, no issue.

So yes, they will focus on the fact that you are at home, not working, taking care of someone who is... essentially financially taking care of you.

I mean, don't beat around the bush. If you're not working then the money you will be using for trips and for the immigration journey, will be the money your mother is receiving. At the end of the day, you are being financially taken care of and your 24/7 nursing care is being compensated by access to your mothers money. USCIS would immediately question that if you are being financially taken care of, who is suppose to financially take care of your fiance.

Also remember that when you do K-1, you also have to adjust status, which is over another 1000$ and you will need to prove financials all over again.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.