eratsu10

Unemployed seeking to be with significant other

33 posts in this topic

My partner and I are both unemployed. I am a citizen of US and she of Norway. My mother is willing to sponsor, but my mother does not file income taxes and neither do I, but she owns a house valued at $230,000. We are both trans women (born male) and have been together online for over a year and are going to begin visiting each other beginning in summer. The whole immigration process scares both of us, and gives us an existential fear that we wont be able to be together due to our situations. I would seek employment if I could however I am 24 hour nurse for my disabled mother. What are our options to get past affidavit of support, and the easiest visa type for us to qualify for. At the moment considering if I will need to beg estranged relatives that reject me for being trans to sponsor my partner in the future.

Also as a point of clarification, we do not intend to leech off the government. Once she lives with me, she can care for my mother while I work or vise versa. Before I became m mothers nurse I used to earn enough to qualify to sponsor, but that was 8 years ago.

1 minute ago, eratsu10 said:

My partner and I are both unemployed. I am a citizen of US and she of Norway. My mother is willing to sponsor, but my mother does not file income taxes and neither do I, but she owns a house valued at $230,000. We are both trans women (born male) and have been together online for over a year and are going to begin visiting each other beginning in summer. The whole immigration process scares both of us, and gives us an existential fear that we wont be able to be together due to our situations. I would seek employment if I could however I am 24 hour nurse for my disabled mother. What are our options to get past affidavit of support, and the easiest visa type for us to qualify for. At the moment considering if I will need to beg estranged relatives that reject me for being trans to sponsor my partner in the future.

Also as a point of clarification, we do not intend to leech off the government. Once she lives with me, she can care for my mother while I work or vise versa. Before I became m mothers nurse I used to earn enough to qualify to sponsor, but that was 8 years ago.

Does your mother have no income at all?  I am not sure if her house, as an asset, could be included, as you will still have to be the primary sponsor.  Sponsorship is based on federal poverty income guidelines, but it is also discretionary per the consular officer, who has to make the public charge evaluation based on the totality of circumstances.  You should also be aware that to adjust status (get initial green card) from a K-1, the income requirements are higher still.

Have you met yet?  You will need to meet in person in order to qualify for a fiance visa.  

Are you both legally able to marry, i.e. any previous marriages have been legally dissolved already?

Options are either a K-1 for a fiancee or CR-1 for a spouse. If finances are a concern, then I very strongly suggest the CR-1 - it's a little cheaper plus it lets one work upon entry (vs.several months for a K-1).

Note that being a caretaker - even if no money is involved - can be considered work. Basically, if it reasonably displaces a US-authorized worker, then she needs to be allowed to work. It sounds like that's the case here.

It doesn't sound like your mother would be a good sponsor, sorry. It's not reasonable that somebody would sell their house to provide for the intending immigrant.

A house can be considered an asset, but being the sole source of income or assets is not going to cut it.

I would look for another individual.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

My mother receives 2300 a month from ssi or ssa forgot which and a pension from boeing all together, but has extensive medical fees and doesn't qualify to pay taxes so she adamantly refuses to file. When my mother passes the property does pass to me, but that is not something I'd hope for, and hopefully far off.

We are planning to be meeting this summer with a month visit here, then a month visit there in fall, and a 90 ish day visit in spring, which we would make final decisions during. Currently we just video chat most of day everyday.

We are both legally able to marry.

I agree. That house doesn’t mean much because all of you will have to live there.

Honestly, if both your mom and you don’t work now, how are you able to live? Much less provide for another person? I don’t mean to be rude, but that’s what the consular officer interviewing your partner is gonna ask.

16 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I agree. That house doesn’t mean much because all of you will have to live there.

Honestly, if both your mom and you don’t work now, how are you able to live? Much less provide for another person? I don’t mean to be rude, but that’s what the consular officer interviewing your partner is gonna ask.

Another good thing to know is that immigration is a very expensive process.  

18 minutes ago, eratsu10 said:

My mother receives 2300 a month from ssi or ssa forgot which and a pension from boeing all together, but has extensive medical fees and doesn't qualify to pay taxes so she adamantly refuses to file. When my mother passes the property does pass to me, but that is not something I'd hope for, and hopefully far off.

We are planning to be meeting this summer with a month visit here, then a month visit there in fall, and a 90 ish day visit in spring, which we would make final decisions during. Currently we just video chat most of day everyday.

We are both legally able to marry.

Being in arrears on filing federal taxes (even if no money is owed) will put a spanner into the works for sure, when it comes to sponsorship/co-sponsorship.

21 minutes ago, eratsu10 said:

My mother receives 2300 a month from ssi or ssa forgot which and a pension from boeing all together, but has extensive medical fees and doesn't qualify to pay taxes so she adamantly refuses to file.

The items in bold are conflicting. One is required by law to file taxes is their income is above a minimum threshold (which is well below the federal poverty line). This applies even if all income is excluded from being taxed ($0 tax liability).

For sponsorship, she is required to have filed taxes for at least the past 3 years.

Good luck on the journey.

Reminder that she must intend to return home when she visits (she can't come with intent to stay/file for residency).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Agree with the others you need a Joint Sponsor who can meet the requirements.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The items in bold are conflicting. One is required by law to file taxes is their income is above a minimum threshold (which is well below the federal poverty line). This applies even if all income is excluded from being taxed ($0 tax liability).

For sponsorship, she is required to have filed taxes for at least the past 3 years.

Good luck on the journey.

Reminder that she must intend to return home when she visits (she can't come with intent to stay/file for residency).

I honestly am unsure for my mothers taxes. We had considered hiding her here, but the penalty of never being able to come to us again, and possible criminal charges is to big a price.

Is there an option for a non joint sponsor, or does sponsor need to be able to cover the detriment I offer towards sponsorship of partner?

Edited by eratsu10

I honestly am unsure for my mothers taxes. We had considered hiding her here, but the penalty of never being able to come to us again, and possible criminal charges is to big a price.

Uhhhhh, you had considered 'hiding' your Norwegian gf in the US?  

We had considered hiding her here, but the penalty of never being able to come to us again, and possible criminal charges is to big a price.

Nobody here is going to - nor is permitted to - advise or condone that. You'll make things much worse for everybody.

Find a different sponsor. Work side jobs from home if needed. You can include the beneficiary's assets for consideration as well...they can presumably work and save some money as well?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

7 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Nobody here is going to - nor is permitted to - advise or condone that. You'll make things much worse for everybody.

Find a different sponsor. Work side jobs from home if needed. You can include the beneficiary's assets for consideration as well...they can presumably work and save some money as well?

I am not asking for such advice, merely responding that it was not our intent to do so.

If we were to marry and just keep doing visits to one another would there be a point where we would qualify for something without requiring sponsorship.

Edit: How do their assets count, does their income count towards sponsorship though they would lose job when they moved, or saved money?

Edited by eratsu10

If we were to marry and just keep doing visits to one another would there be a point where we would qualify for something without requiring sponsorship.

No.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Op, Bless you for taking care of your mom. 

Now, you trying to petition your loved one is an expensive endeavor and you'll be considered the primary sponsor even if you don't earn income. You'll need a joint sponsor to help with the affidavit of support, which based on what you've said your mom just can't be the joint sponsor as she is not financially suited to be one and she hasn't file taxes in a long time. Unfortunately, you'll need someone else to be your joint sponsor.

All the best with your mom and your partner.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.