Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline
1 minute ago, HarryWL said:

I have 60 days left on my extension letter so I called today. You have to wait up to 30 days for someone to reach out, so it's crazy that they would expect you to call 30 days before it expires. 

Hold on so now you have to wait for them to call you back to set up the appointment?

4 minutes ago, theredcomet said:

Hold on so now you have to wait for them to call you back to set up the appointment?

Yup.

As if the process couldn't get any more ridiculous. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Interview misunderstanding, deportation letter, presented ROC again in Januar this year, Expired extension already, my case and everything has turned into a whole mess!

February 2016: We met in our jobs.

May 31 2016: We became a couple. :dancing:

August 16 2016: Engaged.

October 20 2016: ¡OUR WEDDING! Wooohooooo !!!!:dancing::dancing::dancing::wub:  :wub: :wub: 

CR-1 Visa Journey ... Service Center: Nebraska. Embassy: Bogotá , Colombia.

(I - 130 USCIS stage) :

Monday, August 21 2017 (Day 1) :  I - 130 sent. 

Monday, August 28 2017 (Day 7) : NOA(Received via e-mail and SMS).  :dance:

Tuesday, September 05 2017 (Day 15) NOA(hard copy I-797 received thru post mail) (PD Aug 24 2017).

Tuesday, March 13 2018 (Day 201) : USCIS issues RFE to our case . (Case opended at least) .:dance: 

Saturday, March 17 2018 (Day 205) : USCIS RFE  arrived via post mail.

Monday, March 19 2018 (Day 207) : USCIS RFE ´s answer was sent via post mail to NSC .

Thursday, March 22 2018 (Day 210) : Online Case Status changed to RFE´s answer was received .

Monday, April 2 2018 (Day 221) : ¡Approved! Online Case Status now shows Case was sent to Department of State.:dance::dancing:

(NVC Stage) :

Wednesday, April 4 2018 (Day 223) : Case Received.

Tuesday, June 5 2018 (Day 285): Case Number assigned, welcome letter received,invoice number received, DS261 filed.

Thursday, June 7 2018 (Day 287): AOS fee paid, waiting IV package fee to be unlocked to pay it.   

Thursday, June 14 2018 (Day 294): DS-261 checked and received letter, IV package fee now unlocked. 

Friday, June 15 2018 (Day 295) : IV fee paid, waiting DS-260 to be unlocked to fill it online. 

Monday, June 18 2018 (Day 298) : Full Package sent to NVC via post mail

Tuesday, June 19 2018 (Day 299): DS-260 unlocked to fill it online.

Wednesday, June 20 2018 (Day 300): DS-260 filled online.

Thursday, June 21 2018 (Day 301): Scan Date.

Monday, July 2 2018 (Day 312):  Case Completed and ready for an Interview.

Friday, July 13 2018 (Day 323): Interview Letter Received.:dancing::dance:

Monday, July 23 2018 (Day 333): Case Left NVC.

(U.S Colombian Embassy Stage) :

Monday, August 6 2018 (Day 347): Blood Test and chest X rays. (Done)

Wednesday, August 8 2018 (Day 349): Medical Exam. (Done)

Wednesday, August 15 2018 (Day 356): Biometrics in the Solicitant Atention Center. (Done)

Wednesday, August 22 2018 (Day 363): Interview... Approved! :dancing::dance:

Wednesday, September 19 2018 (Day 393): P.O.E thru Miami International Airport!!! :dancing::dance:

... "Nobody said it was easy" ... Coldplay: The Scientist Single.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline

So I just got back from overseas. Arrived in Chicago. At the passport control the officer asked me to follow him which I did. I was seated in a room with a handful of people. Waited 1 minute, then someone came out asked for my name and DOB and then let me go.

I have I-551 stamp. My passport does not show entry stamp.. should I be worried?

I was also handed a declarations form saying IFR in red and nothing else. I handed it to someone at the exit.

Edited by kvito28

27 minutes ago, kvito28 said:

I have I-551 stamp. My passport does not show entry stamp.. should I be worried?

No, most of the LPRs and citizens do not get stamp upon their entry into the US. It's normal.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, kvito28 said:

No 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
On 10/19/2022 at 9:09 PM, Jhonny said:

Interview misunderstanding, deportation letter, presented ROC again in Januar this year, Expired extension already, my case and everything has turned into a whole mess!

Wait, what?!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 1/6/2022 at 7:53 AM, Vpanda85 said:

Here's my experience with travelling with the extension letter:

• I was sent to secondary inspection to "verify my documentation" because of the letter. The officer told me that I will have to do that every time I enter the US because "it is very easy to create fraudulent documents". 
  • Global Entry wouldn't work for me - when I used my passport, the kiosk told me I should use my permanent residence card. When I used my card, it told me it's expired. Prior to the trip, I update the expiration date (on the Global Entry / TTPS website) with the extended date. 
  • I had no issues with the airline (Delta) while traveling from the Dominican Republic. They asked me to show it in 4 different places and each person wanted to examine every single detail. 

Your experience may vary depending on which airport you clear immigration. 

For what it's worth... returning from my 4th international trip this year and I was sent to secondary processing. I had to wait 5 minutes and they handed my passport & paperwork back to me. I asked if there is anything I can do to avoid secondary processing to which the officer told me the same thing ->  every time I enter the US, I have to go through secondary processing. I told them that the last two trips I didn't have to and they were surprised after hearing that. 

N400

8/27/2022 - Submitted N-400 Online

8/27/2022 - Receipt notice mailed, biometrics reused, case actively being reviewed (~ 10 months)

1/20/2023 - Interview was scheduled (2/24)

2/23/2023 - Interview completed & passed but decision cannot be made. 

3/16/2023 - We recommended that your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, be approved. Your case was submitted for quality review.

3/16/2023 - Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled 

3/20/2023 - Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed

4/11/2023 - Oath complete, naturalization certificate issued. 

ROC, joint filing 

8/5/2021 - Package delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by LOPEZ

8/7/2021 - Credit card charged for $680

8/7/2021 - Text message received with case # (LIN / Nebraska)

8/14/2021 - Extension letter received 

9/15/2021 - Biometrics waiver received 

11/4/2021 - 24 month extension letter received 

2/16/2023 - New Card is Being Produced

2/20/2023 - Approval letter received

2/24/2023 - Card was delivered

AOS, concurrent filing I-130 I-131 I-485 I-765. Same-sex marriage
11/23/18 - Package delivered to Chicago lockbox.
11/30/18 - Checks cashed.
12/14/18 - I-693 courtesy letter received in mail
12/28/18 - Biometrics completed.
2/11/19 - Ready to be scheduled for an interview
3/28/19 - Paper notice approval for I-765 and I-131
4/9/19, 4/16, 4/18 - I-765 card production ordered. I-131 - "Case Received".
4/23/19 - I-765 Card was mailed to me. I-131 - "Case Received".
4/25/19 - Combo card received. I-131 - "Case Received"

9/9/19 - Interview was scheduled 

9/14/19 - Interview notice received - Interview on 10/24 at Minneapolis FO 

10/24/19 - Interview complete. Case under review. 

10/25/19 - I-485 card being produced & then approved. I-130 approved. 

10/30/19 - Card received. 

Timeline

This is gong to vary by port of entry and by officer.

My wife never had a secondary with her extension letter. At SFO we assumed the kiosks wouldn’t work and the officer in primary inspection processed her. That was a mistake on our part as since then we’ve learned that kiosks do work if facial recognition is being used versus insertion of a. Expired green card. 

Cards expire but faces are with you for life. Like LPR status. 

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Colorred said:

delta airlines wouldn’t let me checkin and verified at the airport because per agent on phone escalated to “Mexico no longer accepts extension letter for entry of us permanent residents”.

Be sure  to share your experience with  Delta Airlines

Were you flying to / through Mexico City by any chance?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 12/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, Colorred said:

Crazy drama today, traveling with expired green card and 24mnth extension. Destination Mexico, delta airlines wouldn’t let me checkin and verified at the airport because per agent on phone escalated to “Mexico no longer accepts extension letter for entry of us permanent residents”. My heart sank they told me nearest Mexican consulate would be able to help grant me visa in one day. 

luckily, I have a valid Canadian visa in my passport. With that visa delta completed the legibility criteria and allowed m to checkin and board. 

once in Mexico, they just looked at my expired green card and extension letter stamped my passport. Was done with immigration in less than 5 minutes.

worked out in the end but just thought I’d caution fellow travelers …now back to the margaritas :) 

Glad it all worked out in the end!

Delta uses Timatic / IATA (which you can access from their website) to check for entry requirements and it says "Expired Permanent Resident Cards (Form I-551) with a Notice of Action (Form I-797) extending its validity are not accepted".I couldn't find anything on the Mexican Consulate / Embassy website that states that explicitly though. 

N400

8/27/2022 - Submitted N-400 Online

8/27/2022 - Receipt notice mailed, biometrics reused, case actively being reviewed (~ 10 months)

1/20/2023 - Interview was scheduled (2/24)

2/23/2023 - Interview completed & passed but decision cannot be made. 

3/16/2023 - We recommended that your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, be approved. Your case was submitted for quality review.

3/16/2023 - Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled 

3/20/2023 - Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed

4/11/2023 - Oath complete, naturalization certificate issued. 

ROC, joint filing 

8/5/2021 - Package delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by LOPEZ

8/7/2021 - Credit card charged for $680

8/7/2021 - Text message received with case # (LIN / Nebraska)

8/14/2021 - Extension letter received 

9/15/2021 - Biometrics waiver received 

11/4/2021 - 24 month extension letter received 

2/16/2023 - New Card is Being Produced

2/20/2023 - Approval letter received

2/24/2023 - Card was delivered

AOS, concurrent filing I-130 I-131 I-485 I-765. Same-sex marriage
11/23/18 - Package delivered to Chicago lockbox.
11/30/18 - Checks cashed.
12/14/18 - I-693 courtesy letter received in mail
12/28/18 - Biometrics completed.
2/11/19 - Ready to be scheduled for an interview
3/28/19 - Paper notice approval for I-765 and I-131
4/9/19, 4/16, 4/18 - I-765 card production ordered. I-131 - "Case Received".
4/23/19 - I-765 Card was mailed to me. I-131 - "Case Received".
4/25/19 - Combo card received. I-131 - "Case Received"

9/9/19 - Interview was scheduled 

9/14/19 - Interview notice received - Interview on 10/24 at Minneapolis FO 

10/24/19 - Interview complete. Case under review. 

10/25/19 - I-485 card being produced & then approved. I-130 approved. 

10/30/19 - Card received. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Vpanda85 said:

Glad it all worked out in the end!

Delta uses Timatic / IATA (which you can access from their website) to check for entry requirements and it says "Expired Permanent Resident Cards (Form I-551) with a Notice of Action (Form I-797) extending its validity are not accepted".I couldn't find anything on the Mexican Consulate / Embassy website that states that explicitly though. 

Wow.  I was skeptical but I went through https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/MX-Mexico-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm for a citizen of Burma and you are correct. I get the same message you get.  

When I use Delta that is.  

When I switch to American Airlines I get: 

Yes, the documentation you hold is sufficient based on your details and the itinerary provided.

So just for completeness, because Canada explicitly allows extension letters, for both Delta  and American Airlines I get 

Yes, the documentation you hold is sufficient based on your details and the itinerary provided.

The conclusion is clear: LPRs with extension letters must NOT fly Delta Airlines to Mexico. 

Edited by Mike E

My green card expired in April 2021, but I have a 24 month extension letter and valid UK passport. I'm flying to the UK for Christmas and coming back to the US, both flights with Virgin Atlantic. My passport is in my maiden name, and US papers and TSA Global Entry all in my married name, so yep, the marriage certificate has to come with me.

I thought I'd call the airline to see if they're familiar with the extension letter process, to allow me return to the US. The lady on the phone had no idea what the extension letter is, and couldn't say if they would let me board.

Has anyone here travelled on an extension letter + expired green card back to the US with Virgin Atlantic from LHR? I'm a bit worried... 

• 2 weeks later...
07.12.2022 в 18:42, updown сказал:

Срок действия моей грин-карты истек в прошлом 2021 году, но у меня есть письмо о продлении на 24 месяца и действующий паспорт Великобритании. Я лечу в Великобританию на Рождество и возвращаюсь в США, оба рейса с Virgin Atlantic. Мой паспорт на мою девичью фамилию, а документы США и TSA Global Entry на мою женатую фамилию, так что да, свидетельство о браке должно быть со мной.

Я подумал, что позвоню в авиакомпанию, чтобы узнать, что они с процессом продления письма, чтобы можно было мне вернуться в США. Дама по телефону  не имеет значения, что такое дополнительное письмо, и не может быть, сказать пустят ли меня на посадку.

Кто-нибудь здесь путешествовал по расширенному письму + грин-карте с истекшим сроком действия обратно в США с Virgin Atlantic от LHR? я немного волнуюсь... 

i travel with stamp I-551 in my passport, never had any problems

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.