Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Jhonny said:

because I need to travel to Cuba and when I called USCIS they told me that there is nothing that they need  to do with my case and myy extension is expired, I need to get the stamp

I think you need to start your own thread with questions you have. Your current state of things doesn't look good, you probably need professional help from a lawyer.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

Just got back on Monday through MIA with expired extension letter and stamp on the passport. We have Global Entry and the only issue we had is that since my wife's GC had expired it was not showing as valid even with the stamp. CBP officer sent us into another area to get the new green card expiration date updated into their system. 

How many times can it be extended? And what's the difference between the extension letter and the stamp?

Edited by Albinjr26

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Albinjr26 said:

How many times can it be extended?

USCIS has issued 12 month, 18 month, and 24 month extension letters in mass mailings.  Thus far it does not issue custom extension letters for individuals. Given the I-751 backlog continues to grow, we can expect 30 month extension letters this year. 

USCIS should simply admit reality and issue 60 month extension letters but the political fall out would be too high. 

And what's the difference between the extension letter and the stamp?

An extension letter extends an expired gc.  Without the gc, the extension letter is useless for travel and work. 

An I-551 stamp comes in two form factors:

* A I-551 stamp on a foreign passport. This can be used for travel, work, and state motor vehicles department 

* An I-94 with an I-551 stamp. This can be used for travel and to get an unrestricted SS card. In some  states  the unrestricted SS card and the  I-551 on I-94 can be used  to get a state ID. With state ID and the unrestricted SS card one can work. 

In theory you can get new I-551 stamps as the previous one expires. In practice USCIS field offices are getting stamp fatigue and now some offices refuse to issue one.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just wanted to provide a recent datapoint for flying back into the US from Dublin, Ireland. We flew over for the holidays and had a direct flight back to the US earlier this month. Dublin has US Customs in its airport, so we dealt with the process before we flew. The whole interaction took maybe 30 seconds. My husband and I went up together, I handed my US passport, he handed his Irish passport, Green Card, and Extension Letter, the agent took the letter out of the envelope, looked at it, and then handed everything back to us. Maybe it helped that we went through together -- he's been asked questions about where he lives etc when he travels alone, but we weren't asked anything this time around and there wasn't a long line or anything.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband has the 24-month extension letter, is a Philippine passport holder, and we'll be traveling to Manila this May. 

While in Manila, we'll be making a side trip to Saipan (Northern Marianas) and Guam for a few days each. 

Since both are US territories, his entrance should be treated as re-entering the US but I worry if the immigration officers over there will know what the extension letter is and if they'll give him a hard time.

Does anyone here have experience going through those territories and know if there will be any problems?

***K-1 Visa***

NOA1:         03/01/18 (old site)

03/06/18 (new site)

NOA2:         09/04/18

Interview:   12/27/18

Visa Rcvd:   01/09/19

POE Date:    01/27/19

Married:       02/22/19

***Adjustment of Status***

Sent:             03/07/19

NOA1:           03/15/19

Biometrics:  04/11/19

Ready:           04/24/19

EAD/AP:        08/20/19

Card Rcvd:    08/26/19

***Removal of Conditions***

Sent:             11/17/21

NOA1:           11/20/21

24-month Extension: Received

48-month Extension: Received

Approval:     02/20/24

***Naturalization***

Sent:             10/05/23

NOA1:           10/05/23

Biometrics:  10/25/23

Interview:     02/12/24

Oath:             03/27/24

============================================

Case Status Online: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus

Timeline
12 hours ago, crono_clone said:

Does anyone here have experience going through those territories and know if there will be any problems?

I googled this for you:

Timeline
3 hours ago, Bear11 said:

i have a question, my wife has expired GC (conditional)  with extension letter 24 month till 2024, we want to go vacation to Dominican Republic, how it works?  basically coming back because enter to Dominican with national passport need a visa, thanks

U.S. passport holders don’t need a visa to enter DR.   U.S. LPRs are granted a visa waiver. 

I googled  this for you:

6 minutes ago, Bear11 said:

I just called to Dominican Republic consulate in Los Angeles, asked to apply for visa with national passport (because required) and they told me if you have a green card ( told them it’s expired) with extension letter OK, no needed visa, but how is true, anybody has experience?

Which country's passport do you hold?

15 minutes ago, Bear11 said:

My wife’s Armenia, for country required visa but consulate told me if she has green card then NO need visa, I said green card expired but we have 797 for extension, and she said that will be fine

Hmmm, I could not find this published anywhere, e.g. visa free travel to Dominican Republic for US LPRs.

Your wife probably needs to obtain DR visa in her Armenian passport as well as take her GC and extension letter to re-enter the USA.

As for you, US citizen, you can travel visa free for 30 days.

Edited by OldUser

19 minutes ago, Bear11 said:

My wife’s Armenia, for country required visa but consulate told me if she has green card then NO need visa, I said green card expired but we have 797 for extension, and she said that will be fine

If you have green card for any citizenship no need a visa

8FD9849D-3E70-439E-9A9D-D4D4C5020938.png

for sure I know about Mexico, we were 2 times and green card holders no need a visa with any citizenship 

Edited by Bear11

5 minutes ago, Bear11 said:

If you have green card for any citizenship no need a visa

8FD9849D-3E70-439E-9A9D-D4D4C5020938.png

I'd love to see this information on official DR website to fully trust it.

Also here is another person (or is it you?) asking the same yesterday. Maybe you could share the knowledge?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147288-i27-k14260262-Indian_passport_with_US_green_card_visa_requirement-Dominican_Republic.html

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.