Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, OldUser said:

@NMandAD I don't believe you would have a problem, as long as you bring the expired GC, unexpired extension letter, unexpired foreign passport (in most cases you would need it). Just don't miss your appoitment, if you get interview scheduled.

@OldUser thank you so much for the quick response. This is the another thing i'm worried about. They haven't give us date of the interview yet. I'm worried if they send letter when we are overseas. Is it possible to reschedule if we are not in states? do they even give the option to reschedule.

@NMandAD I would set up USPS Hold Mail feature for the time you're away. Also would enable Informed Delivery emails to know what's coming to your mailbox.

Then, if I was away and received any letter from USCIS I would rush to get home by changing plans and flights. There is an option to reschedule but I would not do it, because you can end up waiting months or years to have your interview. Or USCIS even could even "forget" about it and you would have to put a lot of effort trying to get interviewed. But that would be my thought process.

Edited by OldUser

4 minutes ago, OldUser said:

@NMandAD I would set up USPS Hold Mail feature for the time you're away. Also would enable Informed Delivery emails to know what's coming to your mailbox.

Then, if I was away and received any letter from USCIS I would rush to get home by changing plans and flights. There is an option to reschedule but I would not do it, because you can end up waiting months or years to have your interview. Or USCIS even could even "forget" about it and you would have to put a lot of effort trying to get interviewed. But that would be my thought process.

ohk Thank you so much. This is really helpful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 hours ago, NMandAD said:

@OldUser thank you so much for the quick response. This is the another thing i'm worried about. They haven't give us date of the interview yet. I'm worried if they send letter when we are overseas. Is it possible to reschedule if we are not in states? do they even give the option to reschedule.

I’m finding that informed delivery at my new home is inconsistent, and I’ve yet to have informed delivery notify me that mail from USCIS is coming.  

Attempting to reschedule your interview is hit miss and usually miss. It is  usually miss.  In your case you should expect that the interview won’t actually be rescheduled and your case will be denied because you missed your interview. 

You should check your case status each day while out pf the USA, and if an interview is scheduled, immediately return to the USA. 

• 2 weeks later...

Returned from Asia, with expired GC and original extension letter presented at airport of origin, no problem at all. At US port of entry, typical CBP check, didn't ask for the extension letter, didn't go through secondary screening. I think it also helped that I was able to use the Trusted Traveller counter of Global Entry as a TSA Precheck member.

Cheers,

G&A

Here's my experience flying from Paris CDG to San Francisco SFO recently with extension letter.

The airline I flew was United. The mobile check in required uploading passport and other documents in their Travel Ready Center. I decided not to bother with it and just showed to the check in desk. It appears that some passengers who checked in using Travel Ready Center still had to wait in line (pointless).

While in the line for the check in, a security person came around with machine for reading passports. He swiped my European passport, started looking for visa, at which point I presented my expired Green Card. He swiped it through the machine too. I had my extension letter ready, which I immediately presented. He referred to his colleague and showed him the extension letter. The whole procedure took about 45 seconds.

Once I approached check in desk, had to present my passport and GC again. I had extension letter ready in my hands, and the airline agent only asked: "Is this 12 months extension letter?" To which I answered it was 24 months. She did not bother looking at it.

At SFO, I headed to Global Entry line. It was surprisingly long but moved fast. 

First, I needed to go to the kiosk. There were two types. The first few were new, with facial recognition. They said something like "Touch to begin". The older were a bit further and they had message similar to "Scan your document to begin".

I quickly realized the ones requiring docs may not work correctly with expired GC, so I went to the facial recognition one. Took few seconds to align face, take a picture. It printed receipt with my photo and details (name, nationality etc). With this receipt, I proceeded to CBP, who only briefly (2 seconds) looked at my GC and let me through. I didn't have to present my extension letter at this point.

Overall, the process was easy and painless.

I think the following things helped:

1. I had all documentation, and unexpired extension letter.

2. I had TSA precheck and Global Entry

3. The travel was with a big US airline

4. The travel was between major airports

5. The facial recognition GE kiosk was available and used by me.

Safe travels everybody!

Edited by OldUser

Travelled to the Caribbean this summer and just returned with expired GC and extension letter. 

When I checked in, the agent at the desk asked for my GC and when he saw it was expired asked for my extension letter which I presented. When I went to board the agent specifically asked if I was the one who had the extension letter when I told him my green card had expired. Apparently the first agent called to let them know someone had the extension letter and he wanted to make sure it was the 24 months extension. His words not mine. He double checked, said thanks and enjoy my flight. At JFK I presented both GC and extension to agent. He made small talk with me when going over my stay and documents then sent me on my way. Overall it was a smooth process! 

Got back from Philippines yesterday. I cannot believe it but I'm relieved that the check in with customs was 200% easy! 

I went home to pick up my son (IR2) so we needed a lot of documents to get in right?

But lo and behold, they checked his passport with visa and mine was of course extension letter and expired green card. Took 5 minutes. 

Thanks be to God!

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from Indonesia last week. CBP was 100% easy! Was well informed by the officer, if I do not received my GC approval before 6 month expiration of my extension letter, I have to make appointment for the STAMP. Was in line in the USC/Resident line, and then went together with my husband. As for the Airline, as long as we show the expired GC and extension letter at the check in counter, no question at all.

Edited by mepck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, mepck said:

! Was well informed by the officer, if I do not received my GC approval before 6 month expiration of my extension letter, I have to make appointment for the STAMP.

You have been misinformed by the CBP officer.  

Increasingly USCIS field offices won’t provide a stamp appointment until 30 days are left on the letter, and some refuse to provide one at all.  

22 hours ago, Mike E said:

Increasingly USCIS field offices won’t provide a stamp appointment until 30 days are left on the letter, and some refuse to provide one at all.  

Oh??! Thank you! I guess they don't update each others LOL.. Good to know!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline
On 10/11/2022 at 6:37 PM, Mike E said:

Yup, I called yesterday to schedule an appointment for a stamp and was told they couldn't do anything until 60 days before the extension letter expires. The extension expires on 01/02/2023 😩

20 hours ago, theredcomet said:

Yup, I called yesterday to schedule an appointment for a stamp and was told they couldn't do anything until 60 days before the extension letter expires. The extension expires on 01/02/2023 😩

I have 60 days left on my extension letter so I called today. You have to wait up to 30 days for someone to reach out, so it's crazy that they would expect you to call 30 days before it expires. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.