Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
26 minutes ago, kvito28 said:

I got the stamp. They took my CG but not my extension letter.

“CG” - Card of Green. 😂 yoda speak. 

That they kept your extension letter is a signal to me that you best travel with it.  Do not show it to the airline or cruise line. Have it ready for CBP.  

Hopefully you got a one year stamp.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Mike E said:

“CG” - Card of Green. 😂 yoda speak. 

That they kept your extension letter is a signal to me that you best travel with it.  Do not show it to the airline or cruise line. Have it ready for CBP.  

Hopefully you got a one year stamp.  

Haha meant to write GC.

Yep. I plan on printing my old GC copy, having my extension letter, and the passport with ADIT stamp. I do not think Anyone including CBP will ask for the letter but will have it just in case.

Yep. It is a one year stamp.

Edited by kvito28

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/26/2017 at 12:54 PM, Derwood said:

There have been quite a few posts recently regarding traveling on an expired GC with the one year extension letter.

Page 38 of this document provides some reassurance:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Carrier Information Guide- English.pdf

It also makes clear that the 12 month extension is from the card expiry date, not the receipt date of the I-797.

This link no longer seems to work.  

We just got back from visiting my husband's family in South Africa for 3 weeks - we were required to show the airlines the Extension Letter in order to be permitted to obtain his boarding pass as his GC shows that it expired last year (our extension letter is for 24 months). We showed this once in Johannesburg to get our boarding pass, again going through security at Amsterdam, and again before boarding in Amsterdam (also to verify that we did not need to provide additional COVID documentation). We then had the extension letter and GC together upon entering the US - took about an extra 15 minutes for them to verify that he still had valid status in the US, but luckily the lines were short either way. We also had a copy of our marriage certificate, daughter's birth certificate (she's a dual citizen), etc just in case they requested any of it. So make sure if you do have your GC and Letter of Extension that it is in your Carry-On and easily accessible for check-in on the way back to the US. 

He Arrived in the US: 2017-10-30

She said "Yes": 2017-12-19

They said "I do": 2018-01-19

BFP: 2018-03-31

Concurrent Filing of I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131: 

I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 Received: 2018-09-21

I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA1 by Mail: 2018-10-02

ASC NOA by Mail: 2018-10-19

ASC Appointment: 2018-11-06

Baby Born: 2018-12-15

I-485 Courtesy Letter Re I-693: 2019-01-03

I-131, I-765 Approval by Mail: 2019-01-04

I-131, I-765 Combo Card Arrival by Mail: 2019-01-08

I-485 Interview Notice by Mail: 2019-08-06

I-693 Medical Exam: 2019-08-26

I-693 Medical Exam Results: 2019-09-03

I-485 Interview: 2019-09-10
I-130, I-485 Approval by Mail: 2019-09-14

Filing of I-751: 2021-09

I-751 Biometrics Complete: 2021-10-28

BFP: 2022-05-16

Filing of N-400: 2022-08

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got back from traveling to and from Canada with my extension letter (flying with Air Canada). On return to the US, everything went smoothly with US customs in Toronto Airport - I handed the customs agent my green card, passport and boarding pass. She typed some things into her computer, asked why I was in Canada, and then asked me for my extension letter. I handed the extension letter to her and she looked at both pages and told me goodbye. Very simple! 

K1 Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-129F: Feb 9, 2018

Petition received by USCIS: Feb 15, 2018

NOA1 Text Notification: Feb 20, 2018 

NOA2: Aug 21, 2018 😍

NVC Case # & Invoice ID: Sept 6, 2018

NVC "In Transit": Sept 18, 2018

Case "Ready": Sept 25, 2018

P3 Received: Oct 5

P3 Sent: Oct 16

P4 Received: Oct 18

Medical: Nov 13

Interview: Dec 6 - APPROVED! 

POE: Feb 12, 2019

Applied for SSN: Feb 15, 2019 (rec'd SSN: April 4th)

AOS Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-485, I-131, I-765: April 15, 2019

NOA1: April 23, 2019 (hard copies received April 29, 2019)

Biometrics: May 16, 2019

RFIE for I-148: June 20, 2019 (requesting birth certificate)

Sent Response to RFIE: June 25, 2019

Response to RFIE received: June 28, 2019

I-485 "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview" notice: Sept 4, 2019

I-765 (EAD) Card in Production: Oct 11, 2019

I-131 (AP) Approved: Oct 15, 2019

I-765 (EAD) Card mailed out to me: Oct 17, 2019

EAD/AP Combo Card received: Oct 19, 2019

Interview: Jan 28, 2020 - Approved 2 year conditional green card

ROC Sent I-751: November 1, 2021

Credit Card Charges Pending: November 9, 2021

Text Message: November 10, 2021 @ 3:46 am

NOA1 Dated: November 9, 2021 (hard copy received November 17, 2021)

Biometrics Waiver Dated: November 30, 2021 (hard copy received Dec 6, 2021)

Approval Notice Dated: April 10, 2024 (hard copy received April 16, 2024)

Timeline
6 hours ago, IndigoFlowers said:

Recently got back from traveling to and from Canada with my extension letter (flying with Air Canada). On return to the US, everything went smoothly with US customs in Toronto Airport - I handed the customs agent my green card, passport and boarding pass. She typed some things into her computer, asked why I was in Canada, and then asked me for my extension letter. I handed the extension letter to her and she looked at both pages and told me goodbye. Very simple! 

The best thing about preclearance stations  is that they tend to not send aliens with extension letters or AP to secondary. 

On 8/15/2022 at 8:34 PM, Mike E said:

The best thing about preclearance stations  is that they tend to not send aliens with extension letters or AP to secondary. 

Speaking from my limited experience, i.e. entering 3 times with extension letter, once on land border and twice in US airports, I was never sent to secondary.  

My Philippine trip is coming up end of the month. I've got all documents ready including extension letter. Will be returning Jan 1 2023. I'm eligible for citizenship Aug 22nd. I'm thinking of delaying the submission of N400 until Nov or Dec. I'm gonna be okay right?

10 minutes ago, Southern_Belle07 said:

My Philippine trip is coming up end of the month. I've got all documents ready including extension letter. Will be returning Jan 1 2023. I'm eligible for citizenship Aug 22nd. I'm thinking of delaying the submission of N400 until Nov or Dec. I'm gonna be okay right?

You can file N-400 whenever you're comfortable with doing it. If it's December, then it's December.

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

You can file N-400 whenever you're comfortable with doing it. If it's December, then it's December.

Thanks. I just don't want to spend another expensive plane ticket as we all know USCIS schedules are unpredictable. This trip is work + personal related. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, OldUser said:

I don’t how you can file N-400 while outside the USA given:

* you have to list each absence from the USA 

* you have to provide an end date for each absence 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
2 hours ago, OldUser said:

@Mike E somehow I missed the fact the person is going to be overseas when filing N-400 (didn't see Jan 2023). My understanding was they're hesitating whether to file now or once they're back. My bad.

Right.  

So OP’s trip is scheduled after OP is eligible to file.  OP can file this month  then go on the long trip. The risks are:

* the biometrics or interview are scheduled by OP is out of country. 

* after filing N-400, one is expected to continuously  to live in the USA.   https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1427&num=0&edition=prelim

has resided continuously within the United States from the date of the application up to the time of admission to citizenship”

Given the length of the planned absence, I suggest filing after returning from the trip.  

Edited by Mike E

On 8/18/2022 at 1:03 PM, Mike E said:

Right.  

So OP’s trip is scheduled after OP is eligible to file.  OP can file this month  then go on the long trip. The risks are:

* the biometrics or interview are scheduled by OP is out of country. 

* after filing N-400, one is expected to continuously  to live in the USA.   https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1427&num=0&edition=prelim

has resided continuously within the United States from the date of the application up to the time of admission to citizenship”

Given the length of the planned absence, I suggest filing after returning from the trip.  

Thanks for the advice! I'll do that when I'm back.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All -

has anyone left the US and realized too late they had forgotten their extension paperwork. I came back to Canada for the weekend and I’m flying back to the US tomorrow. I just realized I have forgotten my extension paperwork, but have photos on my phone and I have my expired GC with me. 

I’ve never had this happen before and I’m not sure what to expect. It would be pre-clearance in Canada. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.