Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Technically, you're LPR and visa should have become invalid. Does it not have any stamp invalidating it?

No, it doesn't. Maybe because it is on my previous passport?

In case I can't use that visa, do you happen to know if the Mexico embassy in the us would be able to emit a visa for a citizen of another country (Brazil)? It's probably very unusual, since a Brazilian in the USA would have a tourist visa and hence not need a Mexican visa.

Thanks!

Edited by victorv3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, victorv3 said:

I am another user with an expired green card + extension that is planning a visit to mexico.

You  are good to go when flying most U.S. airlines.  Delta is the exception.  

1 hour ago, victorv3 said:

My US tourist visa still hasn't expired. Mexico allow citizens of my country to enter with a valid US tourist visa.

My question: is my tourist visa still valid even after receiving the green card? 

Your visa is not valid for entry to U.S. or Mexico.

No need to complicate it.  Use your extension letter.  

Timeline
On 2/7/2023 at 6:50 PM, Cornflake said:

My close friend had a different experience a year ago. She wasn't allowed to board the plane in Los Angeles with an extension letter.

Delta right?

She didn’t get to Mexico. And had she arrived she would have been permitted to enter.  

Also, there are multiple stories online about how people were denied

Let’s see them. Let’s see stories where Mexican immigration officers denied entry.  

. So maybe it's just bad luck for some people, but there are so many beautiful countries I'd travel to instead of Mexico because I don't wanna pay thousands of $ for my vacation and probably won't even be able to board the plane.

Same thing is more likely to happen with any other country with the exceptions of the USA and Canada, the only countries know of that explicitly post in English that extension letters are ok. 

I've been to Cancun, and Playa several times already. And to be honest, I prefer Dominican Republic, Aruba, or St. Martin. 

Pretty  sure St Martin won’t take your green card.

By all means travel elsewhere. 

Personally Mexico didn’t put Covid garbage rules in my way. It’s the only country that actually wants my business.  And that includes the USA btw. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

You  are good to go when flying most U.S. airlines.  Delta is the exception.  

Your visa is not valid for entry to U.S. or Mexico.

No need to complicate it.  Use your extension letter.  

Ah ok, i thought it was the case that no airline accepted the extension letter. I'm gonna reread the posts. Thanks 

Timeline
43 minutes ago, victorv3 said:

Ah ok, i thought it was the case that no airline accepted the extension letter. I'm gonna reread the posts. Thanks 

Delta won’t accept the letter for travel to Mexico.  

On 2/8/2023 at 11:00 PM, Mike E said:

Delta won’t accept the letter for travel to Mexico.  

Any idea why that’s the case? (ie why only Delta?)

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Case Approved - May 5, 2024

Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled - May 5, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

Case Approved - May 3, 2024

event.png

Timeline
4 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Any idea why that’s the case? (ie why only Delta?)

Racism?

All I know is the last time I checked iatatravelcentre.com, Delta was explicitly refuses to board LPRs to Mexico who want to use an extension letter + expired gc as a visa waiver to Mexico. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
11 hours ago, Mike E said:

Racism?

All I know is the last time I checked iatatravelcentre.com, Delta was explicitly refuses to board LPRs to Mexico who want to use an extension letter + expired gc as a visa waiver to Mexico. 

Even United will not let you board to Mexico with a expired gc and extension letter. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, rohsha said:

Even United will not let you board to Mexico with an expired gc and extension letter. 

Do tell?

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

Do tell?

I was traveling to Cancun from Chicago in July 2022 with United. I got my boarding pass at the check in counter. When I got to the gate, they told me that upon secondary verification, they decided that my documents were not sufficient for entry into Mexico and they had taken me off the flight and my bags were being sent back to the carousel. No matter what I showed them, they refused to let me board. 

Timeline
On 5/2/2022 at 6:00 PM, US_VJ said:

Hi all, just wanted to share my experience of traveling to Mexico with my expired green card and extension letter. There is some ambiguity about this in the forums and I found it hard to search for information, so creating a separate thread. [FYI: this is not about entering the US with the extension letter; I know that fine and I’ve done it plenty of times]

Sharing my experience just in case anyone is looking for this info:

I had zero problems. United Airlines checked me in without any problems, and when I landed in Mexico, they asked for my extension letter after realizing my GC had expired. And that was it, and they stamped my passport. 

Different Mexican consulate generals in different US cities had very conflicting information on their website—including the one in NYC saying that the extension letter is not accepted. This is clearly incorrect. 

I followed the Mexican Embassy in Washington DC’s link, which redirects to the the actual Mexican governments regulation. It states that anyone with valid proof of permanent residency in the US needs no visa. Nothing more than that. It’s as straightforward as it can get. Link below for folks who are checking:

http://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5437383&fecha=17/05/2016

https://www.inm.gob.mx/gobmx/word/index.php/paises-requieren-visa-para-mexico/

Just to reiterate, Mexican immigration officials knew exactly what it was—didn’t even bat an eye— and I had zero problems getting inside MX (I went to Mexico City Airport

1 minute ago, rohsha said:

I was traveling to Cancun from Chicago in July 2022 with United. I got my boarding pass at the check in counter. When I got to the gate, they told me that upon secondary verification, they decided that my documents were not sufficient for entry into Mexico and they had taken me off the flight and my bags were being sent back to the carousel. No matter what I showed them, they refused to let me board. 

Looks like United has changed policy.  With Delta and now United denying boarding it is best to avoid these airlines.  We did have difficulty checking in oba Inited flight from the USA to Canada with an extension letter on July 2022, but ultimately were boarded. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Looks like United has changed policy.  With Delta and now United denying boarding it is best to avoid these airlines.  We did have difficulty checking in oba Inited flight from the USA to Canada with an extension letter on July 2022, but ultimately were boarded. 

Yes do not travel to Mexico with an expired Gc and extension letter. Get a visa instead. 

Canada explicitly states that they allow expired gc+ permanent resident cards plus valid passport as valid entry documents. Not sure why United was giving you problems with that. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, rohsha said:

Yes do not travel to Mexico with an expired Gc and extension letter. Get a visa instead.

No.  Travel to America with an expired gc and with a valid extension letter.  Just not on United or Delta. 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Machine translation:

Requirements:
1. Valid passport or identity and travel document that is valid in accordance with international law.
2. FMM duly filled.
3. The foreign person who is a beneficiary of commitments made by the Mexican State, in addition to the documents indicated, must present one of the following documents:
a) Document proving permanent residence in Canada, the United States of America, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, any of the countries that make up the Schengen Area, as well as the member countries of the Pacific Alliance;

14 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Machine translation:

A foreigner who presents any of the following documents will not require a Mexican visa:

a) Document proving permanent residence in Canada, the United States of America, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, any of the countries that make up the Schengen Area, as well as in the member countries of the Pacific Alliance (Chile, Colombia and Peru).

The above is dated November 9, 2012 and updated “4/03/2022”, which presumably means March 4, 2022. 

When we flew JetBlue last year to Cancun out of SFO, we did have difficulties at check in but ultimately got through. Personally we would have tried another airline or flown to San Diego or El Paso, walked into Mexico, and then flown a domestic airline.  There is simply no way I would let United or Delta cause me to lose non refundable hotel reservations.  

For some reason I never hear of WN rejecting pax with extension letters.  

I will reiterate my belief that extension letters, I-551 stamps, and endorsed immigration visas are stupid and USCIS should be issuing green cards.  

This thread has run its course for me. Clearly data points won’t convince people to try and and we’ve enough evidence that extension letters can be accepted or rejected by airlines. 

Enjoy the travel adventure.  I’m out, finishing up another week in Cancun.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:25 AM, rohsha said:

Canada explicitly states that they allow expired gc+ permanent resident cards plus valid passport as valid entry documents. Not sure why United was giving you problems with that. 

Thank you for pointing this out! I am planning to travel to Canada (by Land though). Hopefully they will let me in with only my Indonesian Passport, expired GC and extension letter. I checked in their website, I do not need obtain visa if I have proof of US residency..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.