Techniix

DMV Shredded My Wife's Green Card

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good evening everyone,

I'm not going to lie... I'm a bit panicked right now. My wife has had her biometrics for removal of conditions on her 2 year green card. We are currently in the long waiting period of getting the 10 year green card and have finally reached the point where we can do the early filing for N400. A couple weeks ago my wife finally got her full driver's license and we had a long struggle at the DMV while the employee there (a new hire) scattered back and forth trying to figure out how to give a full license to a permanent resident (turns out it's no different than the process for a US citizen), but I'm just now finding out that protocol for expired licenses is to shred them on the spot at the DMV. Apparently this woman upon getting my wife's expired green card (along with the I-797 extending said green card) decided that she'd take my wife's green card and shred it. My wife (not realizing that this was very wrong) didn't realize it was a big deal until just now while I was trying to verify the dates on her card and she told me it has been shredded. So, naturally, I'm panicking. Under normal circumstances we'd just file for a replacement, no big deal, but can we even file to replace the EXPIRED green card? Is the I-797 going to be enough? Will we need both the green card and I-797 to finish the process to get the 10-year green card, or the N400? Please help. Any advise is appreciated. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

You most likely have a copy of the card somewhere.  You sent it in for the ROC-if you saved a copy of that package, or you saved the image to be printed for that.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:30 PM, Techniix said:

Good evening everyone,

I'm not going to lie... I'm a bit panicked right now. My wife has had her biometrics for removal of conditions on her 2 year green card. We are currently in the long waiting period of getting the 10 year green card and have finally reached the point where we can do the early filing for N400. A couple weeks ago my wife finally got her full driver's license and we had a long struggle at the DMV while the employee there (a new hire) scattered back and forth trying to figure out how to give a full license to a permanent resident (turns out it's no different than the process for a US citizen), but I'm just now finding out that protocol for expired licenses is to shred them on the spot at the DMV. Apparently this woman upon getting my wife's expired green card (along with the I-797 extending said green card) decided that she'd take my wife's green card and shred it. My wife (not realizing that this was very wrong) didn't realize it was a big deal until just now while I was trying to verify the dates on her card and she told me it has been shredded. So, naturally, I'm panicking. Under normal circumstances we'd just file for a replacement, no big deal, but can we even file to replace the EXPIRED green card? Is the I-797 going to be enough? Will we need both the green card and I-797 to finish the process to get the 10-year green card, or the N400? Please help. Any advise is appreciated. 

I would call the police on her, and file a criminal complaint.  

On 8/6/2022 at 6:43 AM, Bob in Boston said:

A mistake is not criminal, total waste of time. Report to DMV and file a complaint there.

I know many a people sitting jail or prison for a mistake.

Hopefully he would have a "Police Report" to back up his claim as well.

Edited by Palawan

Definitely file a complaint, not just to make sure that that employee gets proper training, but also to make sure that you have a record of what happened when the missing green card comes up later in the process. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

No you don't need the physical card to file the N-400, just the copy that you took of it when you first received it (EVERYONE should take a copy and scan of their greencards and save it "just in case". This is clearly a "just in case" scenario where you can use the copy). 

You can also use the 10 year greencard instead, but then you have to wait for it first and that can obviously delay the N-400 filing. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

I would be livid if this happened to me. I work for a state government and many of my coworkers have no clue about immigration process and what it takes to obtain a green card. 

I would first talk to the manager at the specific DMV branch to obtain the name of the worker and manager. Then file a complaint with DMV commissioner and the governor. More than anything they are afraid of lawsuits. 

At the very least it will force the state to implement some very specific trainings.

Good luck! Please, update us on what happened next. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I just had to say I find it laughable that people think a government official mistakenly shredding a green card is a criminal issue. No DA is going to prosecute that. Let’s get serious guys.

OP you’ve received good advice from others, good luck!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

On 8/6/2022 at 7:23 PM, African Zealot said:

I just had to say I find it laughable that people think a government official mistakenly shredding a green card is a criminal issue. No DA is going to prosecute that. Let’s get serious guys.

OP you’ve received good advice from others, good luck!

DA is for state and local issues.

It would be a US Attorney since it would be a Federal crime

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.