vibrantone

How do I file a complaint about NVC

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Filed i129 in 2021 feb... approved.. fev 2022  NVC has never sent a welcome letter with the receipt number to upload documents. I have sent several emails and they  have given me a case number but I cannot track it .. or upload documents or anything.  The only thing NVC sent me in June was that the consulate in Mexico city was closed... which is not true either.  Numerous emails but they reply with a timeline of 30 days.  Its ridiculous...

Timeline

Thank you for your preply but its not accurate.   They send me the new case number k1 with a ID number needed to log into CEAC to upload documents, that they inspect and when that is complete.. send to the consulate.. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/step-2-begin-nvc-processing.html

You cannot track anything CEAC without that code.  https://ceac.state.gov/iv/login.aspx

ep 3: Pay Fees

The first thing you need to do after receiving your NVC Welcome Letter is pay your processing fees. There are two processing fees:

1. Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee
  2. Affidavit of Support Fee.

You will need a bank routing number and a checking or savings account number from a U.S. based bank. 

To pay your fee, log into your case in CEAC and click the ‘PAY NOW’ button under Affidavit of Support Fee or IV Fee on your summary page.

IV - Pay Fees
Edited by vibrantone

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Track your case and see what it says. 

https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Its asking for the 16 digit invoice ID that is in the welcome letter.  I am really sort of puzzled at some of these replied.  The first step for a US citizen to bring their fiance over is a i129F and after this is approved it goes to NVC and they assign a new case number with a digital code to upload documents CEAC as it is now turned into  K1.  AFTER the documents are uploaded and fees paid it is forwarded to the consulate.  So, once again they have issued a number for the k1 visa but no digital code to upload documents and pay the fees. So once again, where do you file a complaint against the NVC.

If you case is processing electronically, please log into your CEAC account at ceac.state.gov/iv with your NVC case number and 16 digit Invoice ID for case status and to learn what steps you must take to advance your case. Disregard the instructions below, they do not apply to electronic processing.

If your case is processing on paper (you mailed paper documents to NVC for review), then the case status and instructions below apply to your case.

Please follow the instructions you received from the National Visa Center (NVC) that list the six steps you must take before NVC can schedule your visa interview appointment. This includes submitting to NVC various fees, forms and documents. Once NVC has received all the required items, they will let you know if anything is missing or incomplete. You can also find these instructions online at http://nvc.state.gov (English) and http://nvc.state.gov/espanol (Spanish). You will find contact information for NVC at http://nvc.state.gov/ask.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Sorry, but you are misinformed.  The info you cite is not for K-1 visas, but for CR/IR-1.

The AOS process (including payments) comes much later on, after the immigrant is here and married.

You can't fault NVC for you not understanding the process.

I think your thinking of another process.  This is the process that I read about, I didn't think about it..,  I read it.. like a contract. 

Process for Bringing your Fiancé(e) to the United States

The process for bringing your fiancé(e) to the United States involves USCIS, the U.S. Department of State (DOS), and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). At each stage in the process, background and security checks may be conducted on both you and your fiancé(e). This may include checks in various databases for national security, criminal history, and other information about you and your fiancé(e). These checks are conducted using fingerprints, names, or other biographic or biometric information.

Step 1: Petition for Fiancé(e) – USCIS

1. You file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) according to the form instructions. This form asks USCIS to recognize the relationship between you and your fiancé(e).
  2. We review your Form I-129F and the documents you submitted. We may mail you a request for evidence if we need additional documentation or information.
  3. If you establish your eligibility, we approve your Form I-129F and recognize the claimed fiancé(e) relationship. Otherwise, we deny your Form I-129F and notify you of the reasons for denial.
  4. We send the approved Form I-129F to the DOS National Visa Center (NVC).

For additional information about filing the petition, see the Form I-129F and form instructions.

Step 2:  Visa Application – DOS

1. The NVC forwards the approved Form I-129F to the U.S. Embassy or consulate where your fiancé(e) will apply for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. This is generally the U.S. Embassy or consulate where your fiancé(e) lives.
  2. The U.S. Embassy or consulate notifies you when the visa interview for your fiancé(e) is scheduled.
  3. Your fiancé(e) applies for the K-1 nonimmigrant visa and brings the required forms and documents to the visa interview.
  4. The DOS consular officer determines whether your fiancé(e) qualifies for the K-1 nonimmigrant visa.   
    • If the consular officer grants the K-1 nonimmigrant visa, it is valid for up to 6 months for a single entry.
    • If the consular officer does not find the relationship to be bona fide, DOS will not issue a K-1 nonimmigrant visa and instead will return the Form I-129F to USCIS. Generally, if DOS returns a Form I-129F to us after it has expired, we will allow it to remain expired. However, you may choose to file a new Form I‑129F.

For additional information about applying for a visa, see the DOS Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiancé(e) page.

Step 3:  Inspection at a Port of Entry – CBP

If DOS issues a K-1 nonimmigrant visa, your fiancé(e) travels to the United States and seeks admission at a port of entry while the K-1 nonimmigrant visa is valid. As with any visa, a K-1 nonimmigrant visa does not guarantee admission to the United States. A CBP officer at the port of entry will make the ultimate decision about whether to admit your fiancé(e).

Step 4: Marriage

If your fiancé(e) is admitted as a K-1 nonimmigrant, you and your fiancé(e) have 90 days to marry each other.

Step 5:  Adjustment of Status – USCIS

1. If you marry within 90 days, your fiancé(e)—now your spouse—may apply for a Green Card by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
  2. We review Form I-485 and the documents your spouse submitted. We may mail a request for evidence to your spouse if we need additional documentation or information.
  3. You and your spouse will usually be required to appear for an interview.
  4. If you were married for less than two years at the time the Form I-485 is approved, USCIS will grant your spouse conditional permanent resident status and issue a Green Card valid for 2 years. Your spouse will need to remove the conditions on his or her residence by filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence in the 90 days before his or her Green Card expires. 

For additional information about applying for a Green Card, see the Form I-485 and instructions and the Green Card for Fiancé(e) of U.S. Citizen page.

For additional information about removing the conditions on your spouse’s conditional permanent residence, see the Form I-751 page and the Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage page.

Each case is different and the length of the process varies. USCIS processes fiancé(e) petitions in the order we receive them. For more information about current processing times for the Form I-129F, see the Check Processing Times page.

25 minutes ago, vibrantone said:

I think your thinking of another process.  This is the process that I read about, I didn't think about it..,  I read it.. like a contract. 

Process for Bringing your Fiancé(e) to the United States

The process for bringing your fiancé(e) to the United States involves USCIS, the U.S. Department of State (DOS), and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). At each stage in the process, background and security checks may be conducted on both you and your fiancé(e). This may include checks in various databases for national security, criminal history, and other information about you and your fiancé(e). These checks are conducted using fingerprints, names, or other biographic or biometric information.

Step 1: Petition for Fiancé(e) – USCIS

1. You file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) according to the form instructions. This form asks USCIS to recognize the relationship between you and your fiancé(e).
  2. We review your Form I-129F and the documents you submitted. We may mail you a request for evidence if we need additional documentation or information.
  3. If you establish your eligibility, we approve your Form I-129F and recognize the claimed fiancé(e) relationship. Otherwise, we deny your Form I-129F and notify you of the reasons for denial.
  4. We send the approved Form I-129F to the DOS National Visa Center (NVC).

For additional information about filing the petition, see the Form I-129F and form instructions.

Step 2:  Visa Application – DOS

1. The NVC forwards the approved Form I-129F to the U.S. Embassy or consulate where your fiancé(e) will apply for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. This is generally the U.S. Embassy or consulate where your fiancé(e) lives.
  2. The U.S. Embassy or consulate notifies you when the visa interview for your fiancé(e) is scheduled.
  3. Your fiancé(e) applies for the K-1 nonimmigrant visa and brings the required forms and documents to the visa interview.
  4. The DOS consular officer determines whether your fiancé(e) qualifies for the K-1 nonimmigrant visa.   
    • If the consular officer grants the K-1 nonimmigrant visa, it is valid for up to 6 months for a single entry.
    • If the consular officer does not find the relationship to be bona fide, DOS will not issue a K-1 nonimmigrant visa and instead will return the Form I-129F to USCIS. Generally, if DOS returns a Form I-129F to us after it has expired, we will allow it to remain expired. However, you may choose to file a new Form I‑129F.

For additional information about applying for a visa, see the DOS Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiancé(e) page.

Step 3:  Inspection at a Port of Entry – CBP

If DOS issues a K-1 nonimmigrant visa, your fiancé(e) travels to the United States and seeks admission at a port of entry while the K-1 nonimmigrant visa is valid. As with any visa, a K-1 nonimmigrant visa does not guarantee admission to the United States. A CBP officer at the port of entry will make the ultimate decision about whether to admit your fiancé(e).

Step 4: Marriage

If your fiancé(e) is admitted as a K-1 nonimmigrant, you and your fiancé(e) have 90 days to marry each other.

Step 5:  Adjustment of Status – USCIS

1. If you marry within 90 days, your fiancé(e)—now your spouse—may apply for a Green Card by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
  2. We review Form I-485 and the documents your spouse submitted. We may mail a request for evidence to your spouse if we need additional documentation or information.
  3. You and your spouse will usually be required to appear for an interview.
  4. If you were married for less than two years at the time the Form I-485 is approved, USCIS will grant your spouse conditional permanent resident status and issue a Green Card valid for 2 years. Your spouse will need to remove the conditions on his or her residence by filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence in the 90 days before his or her Green Card expires. 

For additional information about applying for a Green Card, see the Form I-485 and instructions and the Green Card for Fiancé(e) of U.S. Citizen page.

For additional information about removing the conditions on your spouse’s conditional permanent residence, see the Form I-751 page and the Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage page.

Each case is different and the length of the process varies. USCIS processes fiancé(e) petitions in the order we receive them. For more information about current processing times for the Form I-129F, see the Check Processing Times page.

Nope.   You came here asking about submitting documents to NVC and paying AOS fees.   Those are specific to spousal visas, not K-1s.   

The excerpt you copied/pasted is correct, but the assumptions which led you to make your original post were. It.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Nope.   You came here asking about submitting documents to NVC and paying AOS fees.   Those are specific to spousal visas, not K-1s.   

The excerpt you copied/pasted is correct, but the assumptions which led you to make your original post were. It.

I came here asking how to file a complaint about the NVC because after 3 contacts I am yet to be given the welcome letter with the digits to upload documents and work towards completing this process.  Someone else commented that I did not need a welcome letter which is the the information that is posted in several areas.  And yes its for a k1 visa at this stage.

Just now, vibrantone said:

I came here asking how to file a complaint about the NVC because after 3 contacts I am yet to be given the welcome letter with the digits to upload documents and work towards completing this process.  Someone else commented that I did not need a welcome letter which is the the information that is posted in several areas.  And yes its for a k1 visa at this stage.

What do you mean “upload documents”?   K-1s do not upload documents!

Timeline

I actually have posted actual resources from the NVC and CEAC websites, those are facts.  I appreciate you are so lucky you can get through your process with alternative facts.  Your very blessed.  However, the question was how to complain when NVC does not follow its own rules.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.