vibrantone

How do I file a complaint about NVC

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

just looked at all of my receipts and no welcome letter 

just receipt and it says "this notice does not grant any immigration status or benefit.  It is not even evidence that this case is still pending . it only shows that the application or petition has been filed on the date shown."

that's hardly a welcome

the real welcome is the phamplet that embassy SHOULD give out (some are bad to do this)   when they approve the visa especially since there is info in there reguarding SS # and selective service registering ,  your rights and responsibilities as intending immigrant

this is what u really need 

This is the letter OP is talking about, I wouldn't call it a "welcome letter" either. Far from everyone receives this letter, and it's not important. 

And as OP can clearly see in this photo, the next step is to learn how to apply for the actual visa once the embassy has received the approved petition. The next step is NOT to upload anything on NVCs site. You have ZERO contact or communication with NVC other than to call and get your case number (very different from a USCIS receipt number) if you don't get this letter. That's all, all you need from NVC is the case number, nothing else. So stop harrassing them, they already gave you the number. 

Screenshot_20220720-162305_Photos~3.jpg

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Scandi said:

This is the letter OP is talking about, I wouldn't call it a "welcome letter" either. Far from everyone receives this letter, and it's not important. 

And as OP can clearly see in this photo, the next step is to learn how to apply for the actual visa once the embassy has received the approved petition. The next step is NOT to upload anything on NVCs site. You have ZERO contact or communication with NVC other than to call and get your case number (very different from a USCIS receipt number) if you don't get this letter. That's all, all you need from NVC is the case number, nothing else. So stop harrassing them, they already gave you the number. 

Screenshot_20220720-162305_Photos~3.jpg

Wow   never even got one of those 

and the address of Sweden embassy Dag Hammarskolds  is impressive /  he was amazing

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

I'm all for giving people a break. However, when multiple seasoned VJ members take the time to explain how someone is misunderstanding the process, only to be told that they are wrong, it gets very frustrating.

The first person to reply wrote "Perhaps if you had done proper research, you would discover that K1 applicants do not upload anything to NVC, nor does NVC send a ‘welcome letter’. There’s very little interaction with NVC for K1s." The "proper research" part of the response strikes me as unhelpful. What is the definition of "proper research" when incorrect or blatantly confusing information is provided in an automatically generated status message when one looks up their case? A more helpful response might be something along the lines of:

The State Department often sends instructions intended for CR-1/IR-1 visas to K-1 visa petitioners/beneficiaries due to the fact that the CEAC IV system is primarily designed for immigrant visa applicants (not K-1 visa petitioners/beneficiaries). Many NVC features are not used for K-1 visas including invoices and document uploads. Instructions written for IR-1/CR-1 visas should be disregarded by K-1 applicants/petitioners - they should wait until they are sent instructions germane to K-1 applicants and petitioners. Read thoroughly the State Department's instructions for K-1 visas here (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#4) if you want more information about the next steps, not the immigrant visa instructions linked in your status message.

Any reasonable person would expect when a government provides them with instructions, they should heed them. They may not realize the government is often not careful selecting the instructions they provide you. It is like a bank giving you instructions for a car loan when you've just applied for a boat loan. Or the DMV giving you a driver's manual for a motorcycle when you applied for a driver's license for a car. The seasoned posters are correct - ignore instructions that do not apply to you. It still makes the process frustrating.

The OP will need to get used to this pattern of bureaucratic behavior in future steps of the process (DS-160, AOS, ROC, etc.) to avoid anxiety. I do not think another complaint will fix it. The State Department has limited IT competence and is not indoctrinated with the best practices for web software used in the private sector including the periodic review of all automated e-mails/status messages for every common type of user. This will not change any time soon.

By the way, here an excerpt of the Second Step section of the State Department's instructions for K-1 visas:

794221502_ScreenShot2022-07-20at4_44_33PM.thumb.png.aff20dc5ec46daea4e78536c177475ae.png

It does mention that the NVC will mail you a letter. This letter was e-mailed to us, not sent by mail as instructed. The instructions also do not mention an important caveat that the NVC only sends a case when the embassy or consulate has capacity, which can take 6 months-12 months after NOA2 due to COVID. In our case, our letter did not arrive by e-mail until 8 months after our NOA2. As I understand it, before COVID, the typical time frame to receive such a letter was what most would consider a normal bureaucratic delay for the US government (weeks to a month or two).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

I myself haven’t done a K1 or CR1, but I immediately knew that you were in the wrong when you posted about uploading documents to NVC with a K1. Been here long enough to know that. 
The most experienced members here have been telling you you are wrong, but you insist. And you tell them that their K1 journey was successful out of luck. No bro, you need to read it the guidelines for K1 posted in VJ. Read, read, read.

I have successfully done K-1 and I agree with you. It was frustrating and wrong for OP to reflexively ignore the advice of experienced members who succeeded with the K-1 process. That said, the original question struck me as valid because the CEAC status message for K-1 NOA2 includes hyperlinks to instructions for IR/CR, but it does not include hyperlinks to K-1 instructions. CEAC status messages should be improved across the board. OP being wrong and CEAC being user-unfriendly are not mutually exclusive. It seems some disagree.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Here is a sample of the letter you get from NVC as a K1 applicant. I had to dig because out of the 10 people I have helped file a K1, only this one actually got the email from the NVC, But this is what you should have from the NVC.

NVC.jpg

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

[Moderator hat on]

Three noncontributory posts have been removed.  Please remain constructive.

[Mod hat off]

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.