oat12

Worried and scared... Abusive spouse threatening to call USCIS

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

After all he did to prove a bona fida marriage,  USCIS has no interest in what he claims now

Get a divorce ,   block him,  delete him and move on to a better life

men or women who abuse a spouse,  don't change 

1 minute ago, Daphne K said:

Legally, you are fine. There is no way that he has any power over your immigration status at this point.

The timing of the breakup (very shortly after entering the US) is a little unfortunate. But only that.

Still wanting to move to the US, even though you are not with your spouse anymore, is a little bit of a mystery to me. I know you explained why you still want to move, but in essence the ‘reason’ you wanted to move to the US is now not applicable anymore. I visited my husband many times during the process, and also met people, but I don’t think I would continue moving to the US if our marriage was over, because the reason for the move would no longer apply.

I understand and I can see why it looks that way. My husband never once visited me in the UK. It was only me that would make the trips to the USA to come and see him for years. I made a lot of friends and envisaged a life here thanks to him. Now he is no longer in the picture but I would still like to make this place a home and if it doesn't work out for me, I could always go back to the UK.

I am just worried because, as you say, the timing is unfortunate. I have a mountain of evidence that proves I was a victim of abuse but I know sometimes that the USCIS can be ruthless and if they consider any of his lies, I would like the chance to give my side.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
12 minutes ago, oat12 said:

I changed it both online and at POE. We were still having issues when I activated my green card so I changed my address at POE to the address I am staying at here.

Did you pay the $220 fee?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Just now, Timona said:

Did you pay the $220 fee?

Yes, when I paid the fee online I changed the address. I also changed it at POE with border patrol to double check it was going to the right place but so far I have not received anything and I activated my greencard 27th May. They told me it could take up to 90 days to get it.

1 hour ago, oat12 said:

The day after my approval, my husband began escalating his verbal abuse

1 hour ago, oat12 said:

I then entered the USA to activate my greencard

43 minutes ago, oat12 said:

changed it both online and at POE. We were still having issues when I activated my green card so I changed my address at POE to the address I am staying at here.

So between Visa in hand approval and May 27, 2022 date of entry , one of you was either the “dumped” or “dumpee” 

in this marriage. 

Did he know you were flying in , was he waiting for you at the airport, did he have your itinerary?..

Hmmm, was he hanging around at baggage claim waiting for you? 

Because you surely knew you were NOT going to him, but did have a new address lined up and perfectly updated it at POE on 5/27 and online immediately after.. 

Did mom just get ill ? Did your husband know mom was I’ll and you would not stay in US ? 

How many days did you wait to file divorce? 

Did the “ mountains “ of abuse escalating to “fear of safety”  last minute switch rise up between you IV interview, Visa in Hand and clearing POE , last minute address switch?

Edited by Family

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
29 minutes ago, oat12 said:

Yes, when I paid the fee online I changed the address. I also changed it at POE with border patrol to double check it was going to the right place but so far I have not received anything and I activated my greencard 27th May. They told me it could take up to 90 days to get it.

Yap. Just wait. You're all good.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

44 minutes ago, oat12 said:

Fee payment and 1st change of address took place BEFORE you entered 5/27 and updated it again at POE. 

Did they ask you about your USC spouse?

What questions did they ask, even innocent ones, please share if you would like input from others. 

And of course, the million dollar question, did your husband know your flight and was he waiting at the airport? 

Your storyline has more flags than the UN…and you never know how meticulous scorned  US spouses can be in their heartbreak “ she did me wrong” song to USCIS.

28 minutes ago, Family said:

I got dumped in between these two dates. We did not agree to divorce at this time but we were not in positive communication. 

He knew I was flying in and I told him we would be staying apart until he calmed down as at this point he was threatening me over messages that he would physically harm me. He knew the week I flew in and not the day. 

As things got rocky the day after my approval, I made sure I had provisions in place for the address because of how things were. My mothers health has been deteriorating throughout my marriage, my husband is aware of this he just doesn’t care. 

I have been gathering my information to file for a divorce and have not yet filed. I attempted to on the 16th june via e filing but it got rejected and I haven’t refilled since.

The abuse had been consistent throughout the relationship but the threats to my physical safety got worse at the end. 

So between Visa in hand approval and May 27, 2022 date of entry , one of you was either the “dumped” or “dumpee” 

in this marriage. 

Did he know you were flying in , was he waiting for you at the airport, did he have your itinerary?..

Hmmm, was he hanging around at baggage claim waiting for you? 

Because you surely knew you were NOT going to him, but did have a new address lined up and perfectly updated it at POE on 5/27 and online immediately after.. 

Did mom just get ill ? Did your husband know mom was I’ll and you would not stay in US ? 

How many days did you wait to file divorce? 

Did the “ mountains “ of abuse escalating to “fear of safety”  last minute switch rise up between you IV interview, Visa in Hand and clearing POE , last minute address switch?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Op has a IR1, CR1 could have been interesting, removing conditions.

So the only issue relates to Naturalisation assuming that is the long term plan.

I certainly would not want to do that without legal guidance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 minutes ago, Family said:

Fee payment and 1st change of address took place BEFORE you entered 5/27 and updated it again at POE. 

Did they ask you about your USC spouse?

What questions did they ask, even innocent ones, please share if you would like input from others. 

And of course, the million dollar question, did your husband know your flight and was he waiting at the airport? 

Your storyline has more flags than the UN…and you never know how meticulous scorned  US spouses can be in their heartbreak “ she did me wrong” song to USCIS.

They didn’t ask about my spouse at POE. They only confirmed address change and then reminded me of how long it would take to receive my documents. 

I entered the marriage in good faith. I did not enter the marriage for the sole purpose of getting a green card, if that’s what you’re hinting at. 

15 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

You were allowed to enter with your legally obtained visa and you did such. You are allowed to remain an LPR and live in the US regardless of your marriage. Some people are simply curious as to why one might stay. Some see it as an opportunity to preach their own opinions.

You don't owe them any explanation. Miss Manners would suggest learning a polite MYOB phrase you are comfortable using as you will most likely be asked this inappropriate question again. 

CBP absolutely could benefit from Miss Manners Guide on Polite Inquisitions ..oddly though they do such strange things like put on in small rooms, snoop through phones , read private messages….appalling 

Like so many people pointed out, you are fine really. I remember last time some folks took it personal and got upset when I said it’s usually what a disgruntled USC does, as did my ex but failed.

USCIS sees this abuse of power way too often which is why they have protections for new immigrants. 

Just to be on the safe side, don’t start dating or get married so soon. Don’t give them any reasons to think what he said has value. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Good thing you will get a 10 yr GC so you don't have to deal with it for at least 5 years and even then only if you file for naturalization and only if the IO happens to dig into why you never lived with your spouse even for a single day and filed for divorce right after entering the US.

Anyway you left some room for doubt in your story for sure. While there would always be some misunderstanding and small fights here and there in every marital relationship, it seemed at least immigration wise it all looked good till the interview. Your husband had a new job just a month before your interview and I assume he provided you the new employment letter with any new paystubs so you'll have no issues during the interview though the CO may not have asked for it at all.

There's always two sides of the story. It's amazing how everything went from may be the scale of 20 to 100 the day you got approved for the visa and you happen to manage everything from not going to him to address change to even have all the paperwork ready to file for divorce within two weeks of entering the US. If your version of story is correct, you are right doing that for sure.

Anyway i truly hope your version of the story is correct and it's not an another Amber-Depp version.

Good luck. 

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.