Vaqar Malik

Age gap... Will there be an issue at the interview for our Spouse Visa?

127 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I have a 44 year age gap.

However, I believe that while our age gap is ("was" immaterial, as we've been married quite happily (other then a few adjustment arguments)now, over three years, that your age gap, in your country, as has been pointed out, is likely to be a problem.

First, had we been denied my answer would have been, "I'll move there, get married, enjoy life there for a few years and eventually come here on a spousal visa."  Your answer and/or lack of answers appears quite different.

More importantly our entire family, including extended family, including my wife's former employers, all enjoy me and have never questioned the age difference. (Even though I was grilled quite extensively by the employers about everything else, the word "inquisition" comes to mind.)

Most importantly, large age gaps in the Philippines are rather common, including very large age gaps.  I suspect that if I had moved to the Phils, nobody, family or otherwise would blink.  I suspect that in Pakistan that would not be quite the case.

If I were you, if nothing else, I would have been happy about "don't crow about money," advice.  It's obvious that you don't get that "she sent my family money" is not a good point of view, in your situation.

It seems really simple.  Be prepared to be denied, then enact "Plan B."  Have her move to Turkey, marry her, enjoy married life and life in Turkey, let her learn Turkish, and then eventually move to the US, after some years.

Filed: Timeline
37 minutes ago, Soloenta said:

The process is difficult even if everything seems perfect.  My husband is Egyptian and he said that before you get your interview date the Co's know the outcome of the interview.

If they are not nice to you, you pretty much know you'll be denied.  If they are nice and very friendly the Visa is yours.

Problems I see is that your wife sends you money.  What would have looked better is if you had been the one to send her money.  

Legally they can't discriminate due to age. But they don't like it and will find other things to deny the Visa.

Ideally you should have met every 6 months or at least once a year.

My husband and I lived together for 2 years before I had to return home and then filed for him.  They made us go through hell and it tooks us forever to get the Visa.

You didn't answer if your wife met your parent's, family and your friends? If she did do you have pictures?  Has her family met you in person or on the internet?  If so they can write letters stating why they believe your marriage is NOT fraudulent.  Meaning that your marriage is real and why. No need to have them noterized but it would help if you do.

Make sure your calm and no matter what happens, don't get upset. The Co's can ask some really nasty questions. For example, they asked one man how his wife was in bed. You just don't answer questions like that. Another was asked to see his wife's picture and when the Co looked at it he started laughing.  You have to be calm and think before you speak.

I wish you and your wife much luck. It's a stressful journey, only the strong survive.

Why is everyone talking about money? Nobody asked my husband if he sent me money or I sent him money. It has nothing to do with the interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Forget about the age difference bro and focus on your interview ....My wife is older than me with more than 20yrs couple with the fact that I'm from a country with hardest embassy to get visa but on the day of my interview I was only asked 2 questions

1. The dates that my wife visit (3times)

2. My mum picture with my wife and fortunately that was the first picture on top of others and he never asked for any other thing 

If I'm to go hy what have read here about age difference on visajourney I won't even go for the interview because I was made to believe that is not possible because of the age difference .

I was approved and currently in the state now 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Was your husband interviewed in Pakistan?  

Or even: did you submit receipts of money transfer from the petitioner to you as evidence of bona fide relationship? Do you have 29 years of age gap?

Some people read only what they want to read I guess…

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, ra0010 said:

Or even: did you submit receipts of money transfer from the petitioner to you as evidence of bona fide relationship? Do you have 29 years of age gap?

Some people read only what they want to read I guess…

Yep.  All case and consulates are not equal

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is very rare we ever get the full story. There are certainly indications of multiple issues I agree one factor only such as age is unlikely to be a show stopper.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
4 hours ago, AllaR said:

exactly, people here do not know what they are talking about

…says someone who hasn’t even filled their timeline yet?

Some of the people that commented in here are very seasoned members of Visajourney. They have seen everything under the sun. And you are only focusing on the age gap between OP and the wife, while we are looking at the broader picture such as country of origin and money transfer from petitioner to beneficiary. We are just honestly trying to make OP aware of the uphill battle he might have to face.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
3 hours ago, AllaR said:

Why is everyone talking about money? Nobody asked my husband if he sent me money or I sent him money. It has nothing to do with the interview.

With all due respect,  your husband mentioned it and one never knows when it will come up in the interview. It just a fact it doesn't look good at all.

We are trying to help you. We all know too well the stress your under.  Preparation is hopefully key.  The Co's will be a heck of a lot worse. 

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Timeline
On 7/5/2021 at 6:05 AM, Vaqar Malik said:

Hye guyz !! I am From Pakistan and living in Pakistan my wife is American my interview is coming after some days everything is going smooth in our case but for interview day i have a question we have a age gap relationship my wife is older than me . We have screenshots of our daily conversation we have alot of evidence but i am lil bit scared about age gap so what is the best answer to satisfied the consular... Any good advice please i will be very grateful. Thank you

There's 24 years difference between my husband and I. It never came up.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 hour ago, Fidel said:

Forget about the age difference bro and focus on your interview ....My wife is older than me with more than 20yrs couple with the fact that I'm from a country with hardest embassy to get visa but on the day of my interview I was only asked 2 questions

1. The dates that my wife visit (3times)

2. My mum picture with my wife and fortunately that was the first picture on top of others and he never asked for any other thing 

If I'm to go hy what have read here about age difference on visajourney I won't even go for the interview because I was made to believe that is not possible because of the age difference .

I was approved and currently in the state now 

Consider youself extremely lucky.  Some have no or few red flags and are denied.

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Age gap a problem? IMO, I don't think so. There is no "normal" today, especially in America. Men marry men. Women marry women. Many couples have unique relationships, and to scrutinize "age gap" sounds rather silly. Unless the CO detects fraud, meaning he/she has some evidence to point to, I think that "age gap" will not be a factor. Good luck!

16 minutes ago, ra0010 said:

…says someone who hasn’t even filled their timeline yet?

Some of the people that commented in here are very seasoned members of Visajourney. They have seen everything under the sun. And you are only focusing on the age gap between OP and the wife, while we are looking at the broader picture such as country of origin and money transfer from petitioner to beneficiary. We are just honestly trying to make OP aware of the uphill battle he might have to face.

Exactly.   “Totality of circumstances” is an important concept that anyone going through US immigration should be familiar with.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.