Vaqar Malik

Age gap... Will there be an issue at the interview for our Spouse Visa?

127 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2021 at 7:05 AM, Vaqar Malik said:

Hye guyz !! I am From Pakistan and living in Pakistan my wife is American my interview is coming after some days everything is going smooth in our case but for interview day i have a question we have a age gap relationship my wife is older than me . We have screenshots of our daily conversation we have alot of evidence but i am lil bit scared about age gap so what is the best answer to satisfied the consular... Any good advice please i will be very grateful. Thank you

I’m 20 years older than my husband who is an American citizen. He petitioned me in 2017. I was approved right then and there in my interview.

First, NEVER bring the age gap subject up UNLESS the CO does. And if the CO does, answer briefly and honestly. In my case the CO never asked me about our age gap at all.

second, solidify your relationship. It would be super helpful if you have visited her more than 3 times in the years you’re together. Emails and messages are good but it would solid to have travel together, visits, photos of both of your together AND both of you with your families or friends either her side or your side. Photos of your marriage ceremony with family will be super solid.

I don’t know if having a stable income would be important but I made sure I brought my employment stuff and bank stuff just in case. they usually don't ask but sometimes in age gap relationships they would think you married for money plus they don’t usually want to admit people who would be living in welfare in the US. This one is not so important since it is your wife who has to prove she can sponsor you.

just remember to be honest. COs know if you’re not. Goodluck

Edited by maxxann

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 7/5/2021 at 4:27 AM, Lucky Cat said:

The age difference can be a factor in the CO's decision, although it won't be the sole reason for a denial.  The very best evidence you can provide is that of time you have actually been together.  Time actually together is the best cure for this red flag.  

My wife is 25 yrs younger.  They were real interested in “Photos” of us together.  Who  proposed and if the families approved.  Im assuming you have several photos of the two of you as a couple?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Most here are focusing only on the age gap. While the age gap itself might not be a huge red flag, immigration officers look at the totality of the circumstances and the broader picture, such as country of origin and “weird” money transfers. Is it fair? Not necessarily. Is it what it is? Basically yes. Take it or leave it. 
In fact, somebody had posted in VJ that the wife had gotten denied because she was constantly and regularly sending money to her family in Philippines. I will see if I can find it.

And again, saying the truth is not being mean. Quite the contrary: we are trying to prepare OP for the uphill battle. Most likely OP won’t come back and update us.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

3 minutes ago, ra0010 said:

Most here are focusing only on the age gap. While the age gap itself might not be a huge red flag, immigration officers look at the totality of the circumstances and the broader picture, such as country of origin and “weird” money transfers. Is it fair? Not necessarily. Is it what it is? Basically yes. Take it or leave it. 
In fact, somebody had posted in VJ that the wife had gotten denied because she was constantly and regularly sending money to her family in Philippines. I will see if I can find it.

And again, saying the truth is not being mean. Quite the contrary: we are trying to prepare OP for the uphill battle. Most likely OP won’t come back and update us.

I agree with you. It’s not mostly about age gap. I didn’t read the part where the US wife sends him money, that’s actually kind of a red flag itself. I also read he submitted the money transfer receipts? I’m now actually worried for him.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
4 minutes ago, maxxann said:

I agree with you. It’s not mostly about age gap. I didn’t read the part where the US wife sends him money, that’s actually kind of a red flag itself. I also read he submitted the money transfer receipts? I’m now actually worried for him.

Exactly. I am neither an IO nor an immigration attorney, but I do believe that by sending that evidence he shot himself on the foot. Maybe they do have a genuine relationship, but to the eyes of an IO that might be a red flag, and rightfully so. Yes, there are plenty of couples with a huge age gap and they were approved, but that doesn’t mean that it’s going to be easy for anyone with an age gap. Every immigration case is unique.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
On 7/5/2021 at 9:39 AM, Vaqar Malik said:

We met online we spent 6 years together and we've been married now 3 years. Yes we married on 

Hye guyz !! I am From Pakistan and living in Pakistan my wife is American my interview is coming after some days everything is going smooth in our case but for interview day i have a question we have a age gap relationship my wife is older than me . We have screenshots of our daily conversation we have alot of evidence but i am lil bit scared about age gap so what is the best answer to satisfied the consular... Any good advice please i will be very grateful. Thank you

Look dont worry about this if u guys are together cus u guys love each other and your love is truth noone can tell you.who u need to fell in love with don't listen others if not you will get more nervous just at the interview be yourself be honest to the consulate answer all questions and because your love is real God will help you he will give you the correct answer to all the questions. Everyone had diferent experiences so ur experiences wont be same as others just pray before interview think that day you talking to a friend and you answering him with honesty thats all good luck 🙏🙏🙏 and always put God first and he will help you and he will put words in your mouth to answer them 

Just now, ra0010 said:

Exactly. I am neither an IO nor an immigration attorney, but I do believe that by sending that evidence he shot himself on the foot. Maybe they do have a genuine relationship, but to the eyes of an IO that might be a red flag, and rightfully so. Yes, there are plenty of couples with a huge age gap and they were approved, but that doesn’t mean that it’s going to be easy for anyone with an age gap. Every immigration case is unique.

Agree. I’m 20 years older than my USC husband. We never lived together but we visit each other once a year since I lived in Asia. I’m pretty stable of course he won’t send me money. I was never questioned about our age gap, the CO just  asked where we met, how many times we visited each other (She probably saw I entered & left the US more than 3 times and he flew out twice cause while I was enumerating the times I was in the US she was looking at her screen probably to check if I was telling the truth lol) and then she asked to look at our photos which I have a thick photo album and made sure I showed first and foremost our wedding ceremony and photos of us with family and friends. That’s all and she said approved

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
5 hours ago, AllaR said:

Who cares? My husband is more than 30 years younger than me and we had no any crazy questions. He passed the interview with all regular questions last year.

Not many folks left around here that were here in 2008 AllaR but I believe you know full well how many couples on here have had to overcome age gaps with significant face time.  

Edited by Nitas_man

On 7/5/2021 at 4:05 PM, Vaqar Malik said:

We have also age differences but my wife was played smart because she change her name surname before applying case at uscis now my surname showing her documents like tax return tax transcript social security card even on her passport now so hopefully am confident now for my interview Next depend on the God God bless you.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am an American citizen now but I marry on the first visit and had a 23 years age gap it did not raise any questions at my interview I was interview in my country Jamaica. But we had evidence of time spent together WesternUnion receipt and a child together lots of pictures of us together and with my family and he visited me every year . Good luck . Solid evidence is key . Age is just a number.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.