BeautyfromAshes

K1 after previous marriage and CR1 that ended in Divorce

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bahrain
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am a USC. I'm preparing the i129F packet for my Fiance and I have some questions for those who've been in a similar situation of being a previous petitioner.

In 2014 I got married overseas in Egypt and petitioned for my ex, he was approved for a CR1 visa. After a 15 month process my then-husband flew here the following year in July 2015 and we stayed with some of my family where I was currently living. Everything started off great until issues between he and my family started. Then he wanted us to move out on our own so he started looking for a job, met with managers but never got call backs. He arranged to go stay with a mutual close friend out of state because he claimed he was feeling uncomfortable living with my family. He also wanted to try getting work out of state there. I was very upset about the change in plans, it was not what I was expecting at all. This created a lot of issues between us. Within a few months of his arrival that happened and he was staying out of state. I later flew and stayed for a month with him and for the most part it was horrible for me, lots of fighting and not getting along. I returned home after and separated (informally), which he did not like. When we did talk it was still more fighting and then a week or 2 of no talking. After a month and a half to 2 months I tried to reconcile and I sent him a box of marriage therapy type books I had been reading, treats, amazon gift cards etc for him and some things for our friends family he was staying with. He is the type to hold a grudge about everything and didnt reciprocate trying to reconcile. After going through depression, I felt fed up and filed divorce a few months later the following year. Shortly after I filed he contacted me apologizing and wanting to reconcile and mentioned that he was considering coming back home. I paid for a 1 year family pass for the zoo (I have 2 kids from a previous Relationship) to have something to do together. I even added him as an authorized user to my credit card in attempt help him start building his own credit. After a few months he ended up not coming back, instead he suggested I and my kids move there with him, which I didnt feel it was right removing my kids from their life and family here. Then he suggested I move there with him and leave my kids here and i could visit them periodically, that I wouldn't have to work and he would take care of it all. I was definitely not about to leave my kids behind and move away just because he decided he wanted to stay living in another state. I knew that my state gives a 6 month period before divorce finalizes incase the couple reconciles and decides to cancel it. I let the divorce process continue without cancelling and I'm glad I did. Clearly it was not working out and we couldn't even agree on what state to live in. We divorced based on irreconcilable differences and it was finalized Dec 2016. 

He had to file a divorce waiver and remove conditions by himself and go the rest of the way without me.

Fast forward, he attended his interviews, did his biometrics, gave them everything they wanted to know and was granted US Citizenship in the end.

Now about my Fiance.

We knew of eachother through a mutual female friend on fb 7 years ago but he and I never had contact back then. Over a year later He messaged me saying happy new year and gave advice about staying happy in marriage and sent a link but I never responded. I was married at the time and it wasn't my thing to talk to men even though he wasn't showing interest or trying to flirt or come on to me in any way. 

During my separation from my husband I contacted this man asking for help with translating some things. He happens to also be from the same country as my ex husband. 

So he finally responds back over a month later because apparently he was away in the military. We talk a little and he wants to block because he doesnt want to cause problems in my marriage. He had no idea that problems already were there and I was separated. It wasn't an issue any longer to me talking and being acquaintances. I let him know the current circumstances and then we didnt talk again for several days. We ended up excepting eachother as friends on fb several days later. While me and my ex were having problems and were separated, me and my now fiance were becoming friends. We became close, I considered him a best friend to me and he was there for me to vent a lot about the problems in my marriage. At the same time we started becoming attracted to one another and did like eachother but i didnt consider us as being officially dating or in a relationship. 

After my divorce became finalized I tried to move on with my life and went on to pursue a long distance relationship with my now fiance. But it wasn't entirely easy for me having been down this road of long distance relationship before and this whole process. I still had some fears of another relationship failing especially during that year after my divorce. I felt like all my heart, emotions, effort, time, etc. I put into my marriage and that whole process was for nothing in the end and it left me shattered inside. I feared this type of let down happening allover again.

But I continued on having this new, long distance relationship. Several times we planned to meet in person but due to our work schedules and circumstances it became delayed. At the same time I felt like I needed this delay to fully heal and be whole again. 

In Nov 2020 we broke up for a short period without talking, due to other things. Mostly he felt the distance was becoming too much and felt that I was often purposely delaying our relationship even more from going foreward to the next step. Though he was trying to be patient through it all with me, we have had ups and downs over the last 3 years. Many times we talked about a future together and for the most part we get along great together and see eye to eye with many things in common. I also knew  inside that I didnt want to pass him by and live with regrets later in life of what if. 

I arranged with work and got approval for vacation and flew to where he resides for work in Bahrain. This turned out being the best decision I could have made. We had an amazing time together. During that period we flew to kuwait to spend time with some of his family and I loved it. I took them each gifts and in turn they took me out and wanted to shop for me, my kids and my mom. They took me to dinner..it was really nice and they were so welcoming.

After flying back to Bahrain I had one week left before returning home to the US. We talked about engagement before going to see his family and wanted to have it with them there and wanted to find rings in Kuwait but our trip was shortened due to missing a flight and having to schedule a later one and pay all over again, plus his work schedule.. he couldn't take more than just a few days off. So after returning to Bahrain, we shopped and  purchased our engagement rings and became engaged Feb 28, 2020.

Since then the pandemic picked up more and I havent been able to make another trip. I also work in a covid facility so it's been pretty hectic this past year and with my kids and my dad also getting covid and having to care for them too through it. Thank the Lord I have not had the virus yet.

We have made some arrangements and discussed the details of our wedding and I know time is ticking and I need to file this now as it has to be within 2 years of meeting.

I know that there are some red flags being I was married before and previously filed a CR1. Both are from the same country of Birth and Starting a relationship just after my divorce.

I'm hoping for the best and just want to know if others have filed k1 after marriage and divorce, how did it go? 

I'm wondering if I will have to prove at some point the bonafides of my previous marriage. It's been just over 7 years since I had gotten married and just over 4 years being divorced. I've moved a few times and dont have much proof of anything left as he took whatever there was with him. Should I expect them to ask for some letter from my ex husband? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. 

Your ex is now a US citizen, seems like USCIS believed everything was bona fide all the way. Answer all questions truthfully, make sure your fiance knows about the dates cause they might ask him during his interview about your first marriage and you're good to go. The only document you need is the divorce decreed and not a letter from your ex.

30 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Your ex is now a US citizen, seems like USCIS believed everything was bona fide all the way. Answer all questions truthfully, make sure your fiance knows about the dates cause they might ask him during his interview about your first marriage and you're good to go. The only document you need is the divorce decreed and not a letter from your ex.

Just curious, why would she need a letter from her ex? I know you said she didn't need it, but in what circumstance would she need to provide one?

1 minute ago, JojoandTomas said:

Just curious, why would she need a letter from her ex? I know you said she didn't need it, but in what circumstance would she need to provide one?

I can't think of anything that would require one.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, BeautyfromAshes said:

Hello everyone,

I am a USC. I'm preparing the i129F packet for my Fiance and I have some questions for those who've been in a similar situation of being a previous petitioner.

In 2014 I got married overseas in Egypt and petitioned for my ex, he was approved for a CR1 visa. After a 15 month process my then-husband flew here the following year in July 2015 and we stayed with some of my family where I was currently living. Everything started off great until issues between he and my family started. Then he wanted us to move out on our own so he started looking for a job, met with managers but never got call backs. He arranged to go stay with a mutual close friend out of state because he claimed he was feeling uncomfortable living with my family. He also wanted to try getting work out of state there. I was very upset about the change in plans, it was not what I was expecting at all. This created a lot of issues between us. Within a few months of his arrival that happened and he was staying out of state. I later flew and stayed for a month with him and for the most part it was horrible for me, lots of fighting and not getting along. I returned home after and separated (informally), which he did not like. When we did talk it was still more fighting and then a week or 2 of no talking. After a month and a half to 2 months I tried to reconcile and I sent him a box of marriage therapy type books I had been reading, treats, amazon gift cards etc for him and some things for our friends family he was staying with. He is the type to hold a grudge about everything and didnt reciprocate trying to reconcile. After going through depression, I felt fed up and filed divorce a few months later the following year. Shortly after I filed he contacted me apologizing and wanting to reconcile and mentioned that he was considering coming back home. I paid for a 1 year family pass for the zoo (I have 2 kids from a previous Relationship) to have something to do together. I even added him as an authorized user to my credit card in attempt help him start building his own credit. After a few months he ended up not coming back, instead he suggested I and my kids move there with him, which I didnt feel it was right removing my kids from their life and family here. Then he suggested I move there with him and leave my kids here and i could visit them periodically, that I wouldn't have to work and he would take care of it all. I was definitely not about to leave my kids behind and move away just because he decided he wanted to stay living in another state. I knew that my state gives a 6 month period before divorce finalizes incase the couple reconciles and decides to cancel it. I let the divorce process continue without cancelling and I'm glad I did. Clearly it was not working out and we couldn't even agree on what state to live in. We divorced based on irreconcilable differences and it was finalized Dec 2016. 

He had to file a divorce waiver and remove conditions by himself and go the rest of the way without me.

Fast forward, he attended his interviews, did his biometrics, gave them everything they wanted to know and was granted US Citizenship in the end.

Now about my Fiance.

We knew of eachother through a mutual female friend on fb 7 years ago but he and I never had contact back then. Over a year later He messaged me saying happy new year and gave advice about staying happy in marriage and sent a link but I never responded. I was married at the time and it wasn't my thing to talk to men even though he wasn't showing interest or trying to flirt or come on to me in any way. 

During my separation from my husband I contacted this man asking for help with translating some things. He happens to also be from the same country as my ex husband. 

So he finally responds back over a month later because apparently he was away in the military. We talk a little and he wants to block because he doesnt want to cause problems in my marriage. He had no idea that problems already were there and I was separated. It wasn't an issue any longer to me talking and being acquaintances. I let him know the current circumstances and then we didnt talk again for several days. We ended up excepting eachother as friends on fb several days later. While me and my ex were having problems and were separated, me and my now fiance were becoming friends. We became close, I considered him a best friend to me and he was there for me to vent a lot about the problems in my marriage. At the same time we started becoming attracted to one another and did like eachother but i didnt consider us as being officially dating or in a relationship. 

After my divorce became finalized I tried to move on with my life and went on to pursue a long distance relationship with my now fiance. But it wasn't entirely easy for me having been down this road of long distance relationship before and this whole process. I still had some fears of another relationship failing especially during that year after my divorce. I felt like all my heart, emotions, effort, time, etc. I put into my marriage and that whole process was for nothing in the end and it left me shattered inside. I feared this type of let down happening allover again.

But I continued on having this new, long distance relationship. Several times we planned to meet in person but due to our work schedules and circumstances it became delayed. At the same time I felt like I needed this delay to fully heal and be whole again. 

In Nov 2020 we broke up for a short period without talking, due to other things. Mostly he felt the distance was becoming too much and felt that I was often purposely delaying our relationship even more from going foreward to the next step. Though he was trying to be patient through it all with me, we have had ups and downs over the last 3 years. Many times we talked about a future together and for the most part we get along great together and see eye to eye with many things in common. I also knew  inside that I didnt want to pass him by and live with regrets later in life of what if. 

I arranged with work and got approval for vacation and flew to where he resides for work in Bahrain. This turned out being the best decision I could have made. We had an amazing time together. During that period we flew to kuwait to spend time with some of his family and I loved it. I took them each gifts and in turn they took me out and wanted to shop for me, my kids and my mom. They took me to dinner..it was really nice and they were so welcoming.

After flying back to Bahrain I had one week left before returning home to the US. We talked about engagement before going to see his family and wanted to have it with them there and wanted to find rings in Kuwait but our trip was shortened due to missing a flight and having to schedule a later one and pay all over again, plus his work schedule.. he couldn't take more than just a few days off. So after returning to Bahrain, we shopped and  purchased our engagement rings and became engaged Feb 28, 2020.

Since then the pandemic picked up more and I havent been able to make another trip. I also work in a covid facility so it's been pretty hectic this past year and with my kids and my dad also getting covid and having to care for them too through it. Thank the Lord I have not had the virus yet.

We have made some arrangements and discussed the details of our wedding and I know time is ticking and I need to file this now as it has to be within 2 years of meeting.

I know that there are some red flags being I was married before and previously filed a CR1. Both are from the same country of Birth and Starting a relationship just after my divorce.

I'm hoping for the best and just want to know if others have filed k1 after marriage and divorce, how did it go? 

I'm wondering if I will have to prove at some point the bonafides of my previous marriage. It's been just over 7 years since I had gotten married and just over 4 years being divorced. I've moved a few times and dont have much proof of anything left as he took whatever there was with him. Should I expect them to ask for some letter from my ex husband? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. 

Your overthinking.  Nothing will be required 

YMMV

Timeline
2 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Do you think Its best that I send a statement about my previous petition and the circumstances of divorce with the decree along with a statement explaining how my current relationship developed, including dates? Thanks 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, BeautyfromAshes said:

Do you think Its best that I send a statement about my previous petition and the circumstances of divorce with the decree along with a statement explaining how my current relationship developed, including dates? Thanks 

No.  Read the instructions carefully and provide what is required.   The i129f petition is primarily about providing evidence of a face to face meeting in the prior two years and both being free to marry .  The uscis is not concerned about your love story. 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I filed a I-129F just a few months after my divorce was final. According to my then fiance, the interviewer at the embassy made some remark warning her I might leave her too, which seemed absurd to me given the totally of the circumstances. Overall no real problem. One thing you might consider is doing a CR-1 instead of a K-1 because of the delay in your new spouse being able to work after he arrives. Even if it is not a problem financially for you, that might seem like too much deja vu because of what happened in your first marriage. You didn't say what happened between your first husband and your family, so that leaves me to wonder if another problem could develop between them and your new husband.

3 hours ago, BeautyfromAshes said:

Hello everyone,

Now about my Fiance.

My daughter married Egyptian. While we were still there after wedding he divorced her. Excatley 1 week after marriage.  Matter of fact he divorxed her day we left. She met anotger guy through a egyptian friend. They celebrated their 2 year wedding anniveey Iin Jan. She is happy and he is the best. Everything was appeoves waiting on Caieo Embaaay to open. Goodluxk

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I hope you and your fiancé have a serious discussion as to your needs and wants in the relationship, better to learn now that you might not be on the same page, then after you import him. I’d hate for you to be in the same situation. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello,

First, you are overthinking about the K1 petition.  Keep it simple - how you met, that you visited in within the last 2 years, and that you are both free to marry and intend to marry each other.   No mention of your previous relationship/ex is needed, other than the basic information that you were married before and are now divorced (you will need to attach the divorce decree).  Do not complicate matters unneccesarily.

Second, for your specific situation, I recommend a K1 instead of CR1.  Right now you are in the same place you were with your ex husband before marriage.  I assume the two of you (ex) had a wonderful relationship and everything was peaches and roses up until he came to the US.  When dating someone everything seems wonderful, especially when meeting someone overseas.  You are in holiday mode and there are plenty of things to do and new experiences to share.  You are away from your work, family and kids and can just focus on fun.

As you experienced, things are different after a while and things settle down.  When living a normal life - working, taking care of your children, doing household chores - how is your relationship then?  Your ex ultimately didn't like living with your family or even your state and wanted to live elsewhere.  How do you know this will not happen again?

At least with a K1, there is time to have your fiance come live with you and see how day-to-day life goes.  I would recommend against marrying right away.  Instead, focus on your relationship and how well things fit, or don't fit.

The best way would be for your fiance to be able to visit you for an extended time.   But I am not sure how feasible that is with him can getting a tourist visa and taking the time off from work.  

Timeline
11 hours ago, JonSeattle said:

I filed a I-129F just a few months after my divorce was final. According to my then fiance, the interviewer at the embassy made some remark warning her I might leave her too, which seemed absurd to me given the totally of the circumstances. Overall no real problem. One thing you might consider is doing a CR-1 instead of a K-1 because of the delay in your new spouse being able to work after he arrives. Even if it is not a problem financially for you, that might seem like too much deja vu because of what happened in your first marriage. You didn't say what happened between your first husband and your family, so that leaves me to wonder if another problem could develop between them and your new husband.

That interviewers remark was definitely absurd. The wait time for him to be able to work is a bit long. I just dont want to marry overseas again. I want to have it here and that's why we are going the k1 route. The issues with my family wouldn't happen again because I have my own place now..my family I was living with have moved out of state since, in recent years 

Timeline
11 hours ago, hannysgrammy@gmai said:

My daughter married Egyptian. While we were still there after wedding he divorced her. Excatley 1 week after marriage.  Matter of fact he divorxed her day we left. She met anotger guy through a egyptian friend. They celebrated their 2 year wedding anniveey Iin Jan. She is happy and he is the best. Everything was appeoves waiting on Caieo Embaaay to open. Goodluxk

What a creep for doing that. I'm glad she found happiness in the end! 💗

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.