sarabou17

K1- visa- No photos with family- is it a dealbreaker?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I'm about to start the K1 visa process.  I have made two trips to see my fiancé but do not have pictures of me meeting his family.  I'm wondering if I should try to make a quick trip in order to get pictures with his family before starting the K-1 visa process. With travel being so restricted now due to COVID, does anyone know if they are not as picky about pictures and visits?  These are my questions:

1. If my fiancé goes to the interview with no pictures of me with his family is it going to be very bad? 

2, Can I start the K-1 process and then visit his family at a later date or is it important that I have the passport stamp that I visited and met his family before I started the K1 process?

Thanks in advance!

Because your profile isn't complete and we have no idea which country your beneficiary is from, its hard to give any advice... some consulates are more strict than others.

Just from personal experience, we didn't send any pictures with our families because neither of us could visit due to travel restrictions and it was just impossible to do. 

I also want to add that pictures with family aren't required to file the I-129f itself as long as you meet the 2 year meeting requirement. You might need them later at interview stage (again, depending on the consulate).

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Agree very Consulate dependent and what is the social norm.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, sarabou17 said:

Hello everyone!

I'm about to start the K1 visa process.  I have made two trips to see my fiancé but do not have pictures of me meeting his family.  I'm wondering if I should try to make a quick trip in order to get pictures with his family before starting the K-1 visa process. With travel being so restricted now due to COVID, does anyone know if they are not as picky about pictures and visits?  These are my questions:

1. If my fiancé goes to the interview with no pictures of me with his family is it going to be very bad? 

2, Can I start the K-1 process and then visit his family at a later date or is it important that I have the passport stamp that I visited and met his family before I started the K1 process?

Thanks in advance!

As the other VJer said, it is hard to say if we don't know the embassy/consulate you are dealing with, so please fill your timeline.  Now, from personal experience, my now husband and I created a letter that both of our parents signed (his mom signed one and my mom another) with their photo IDs.  In my mom's, she explained why she did not meet him (travel restrictions due to health and him not having a tourist visa to come here).  In his mom's, she explained that, even though we had only one picture together, she spent time with me for several weeks while I was in Argentina, etc.  Then, they both made statements that they did know us and had electronic interactions (Whatsapp) with our significant other and that they fully supported the engagement and future marriage.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

@sarabou17, Have you thought about a spousal visa instead of a K-1?

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1

More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Sorry!  Fiancé is from Morocco.  I will complete the profile but I'm confused by it.  It asks country where I am immigrating from.  I'm a US citizen.  

Edited by sarabou17

11 minutes ago, sarabou17 said:

Sorry!  Fiancé is from Morocco.  I will complete the profile but I'm confused by it.  It asks country where I am immigrating from.  I'm a US citizen.  

So therefore you put the country where your fiance is immigrating from.....

@Jeanne Adil can advise specifically about Morocco.  Front-loading petitions for that consulate as well as family approval and involvement seems to be a big thing.

39 minutes ago, sarabou17 said:

We need a little housekeeping on your end. Many of our answers are predicated on the information you supply in your profile. When we look at the left column and can't determine your timeline OR your Embassy it's hard for us to give you a factual answer. Our answers will sometimes be tailored to a specific Embassy hence the reason for you to complete your profile. If you look at the profile of others here, they have a flag for their country, so it makes it easy for us to reply as we can quickly determine their Embassy. The country that should be used is the country where the interview will take place.

So, if you could help yourself out and complete your profile that sure would help us out when we want to reply to your question with factual information.

Timeline: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RTx4pIFfcIXyW15L-nyLuBGzwqYRx5lI/view?usp=sharing

Country and Visa Type: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RyJiLo_7WTmqvkzXXqLuOlVHm9oyhAES/view?usp=sharing

Once you finish that then return and you will see a flag in your profile. Select it and see what wonderful information will open up for you.

Thanks

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

I did the same with my husband now, it didn't look good. we ended up getting married because his visa got returned to USCIS to expire. My advice, have lot of pictures with family, and if you have red flags its better to get married in Morocco. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

2 hours ago, sarabou17 said:

I have made two trips to see my fiancé but do not have pictures of me meeting his family. 

Is the lack of photos because you have never met his family or because you just didn't photograph the occasion?

My wife is from Cambodia and I submitted zero photos with her family in the initial application and it never occurred to me to do so. We later had an engagment ceremony with her family and presented those photos at her interview.

Morocco may be different.

If you have met his family, but didn't photograph it, perhaps you could just mention in your petition/overview of relationship when you met his family and include photos from the trip of you with fiancee in his hometown, though not with his family.

Or he can mention it during the interview if asked that his family has met you, or include statements from them.

Again, I don't know the norms in Morocco, but the initial visa application doesn't get approved first in Morocco, it gets approved in the USA and then sent to the embassy and then he interviews and you submit supplemental info at the interview.  So even if people with Morocco experience say it's essential to have photos with family, it would be my strong guess that you visiting him later and him presenting those photos at his interview would be sufficient.

I can't imagine you need to submit family photos now with your K1 application.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Casablanca is tough as others have mentioned. If you are willing and able to make another trip before filing the visa petition, I would definitely encourage you to do so so that you can include those photos. Casablanca generally will not look at evidence brought to the interview, so front loading is especially important. And like others have mentioned, you might want to consider getting married and doing the spousal visa. My husband is from Morocco and we successfully went through the K-1 process a few years ago. You can message me if you have any questions specific to the Casablanca consulate.

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 hours ago, sarabou17 said:

Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!

Front load it much as you can, and if you can afford another trip there, then do it.   Casablanca is a tough embassy.

Best wishes.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

Casablanca is tough as others have mentioned. If you are willing and able to make another trip before filing the visa petition, I would definitely encourage you to do so so that you can include those photos. Casablanca generally will not look at evidence brought to the interview, so front loading is especially important. And like others have mentioned, you might want to consider getting married and doing the spousal visa. My husband is from Morocco and we successfully went through the K-1 process a few years ago. You can message me if you have any questions specific to the Casablanca consulate.

I agree to make another trip and as said above very important to have approval from Moroccan family especially the mother

think serious about doing the marriage there and a CR1 for all the above as mentioned 

Look at the US embassy site to say what is needed for documents (getting these translated into Arabic is the most expensive part of the process)

there is considerable travel to marry in Morocco

1 to US embassy which must be open to all for the eligibility to marry

2 to Rabat to office of foreign minister

3 to home town and police and judge interviews

takes time to do all and then wait for the approval

but do go meet and spend the extra time with him

and get a few pics with his family

I am all for a spouse visa as we don't know what the administration will do next

While we are on the subject, do you have any other red flags that should be addressed before you file? As noted by previous respondents, Casablanca is one of the most difficult embassies with a very high denial rate. 

Do you have a large age difference?

Are you the same religion?

Do you speak the same language?

Have you been married before? 
Do you have children (either adults who have left home or minor children living with you)?

Has your fiancé previously attempted to come to the USA in any capacity? If so, what was the outcome of that attempt?

How soon after you established contact with one another did you travel to visit him?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.