Derek Scheyer

How long will they keep k1 on the backburner

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Some consulates are already starting to issue k1s. So it is not some sort of evil plan to shutdown the k1 option 

YMMV

Eliminating the K-1 would require an act of Congress. They cannot just say "no more K-1s". The process can be delayed, but there is no legal basis to halt it without changes in the law.

An EO could suspend K-1s globally, albeit I personally don't think that's likely. The target of the other EOs tends to be certain work visas and chain immigration.

Where would USCIS go? USCIS does a whole lot more than just AOS, and there are obligations of the law to provide certain services. Timelines are never guaranteed, but the process is there.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

USCIS furloughs, if they happen, won't be forever. K-1s aren't the only ones affected by this.

When there are talks of immigration, even of immigration bans, K-1s haven't been targeted, even when the possibility of changing to a merit-based system has been mentioned.

12 minutes ago, Angela & Brendon said:

The Department of State released a memo that contained a list of "re-opening" requirements that a country must have for their Embassy to start processing visas again. Some have meet these requirements and are processing visas. Some have not and are still waiting. Unfortunately all you can do at this point is be patient and wait for things to improve, but I would say that if predictions are correct and we get a vaccine by the end of this year/early next year, things across the board will return to somewhat normal. Hang in there!

Here is that memo - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/phased-resumption-routine-visa-services.html#:~:text=The Department of State suspended,resumption of routine visa services.

Nothing factual to add to this aside from support from another person who is also apart from their loved one. It's not a competition and we just all want to be reunited.

Keep strong and as I always say- every day passed is a day closer to being with your loved one 🤞

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I see you're from Canada as well, so I definitely share your frustration. However, the Montreal consulate just announced (within the last hour or so) that they are rescheduling spousal visas. I can't imagine it being much longer before they get to us K1 people! I know it's hard but keep your head up, I don't think it's possible to completely remove the K1 option.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

La Paz Embassy in Bolivia apparently now looking over our K1 file...and they didn't ask what our emergency was either  😊

"Good evening,

We will review your case for eligibility and possible processing.  This process could take several weeks.  Please note that processing at other posts in the region is also limited and any transfer will likely result in an even longer delay due to backlogs at other posts. 

Sincerely,

Visa Unit

Consular Section

La Paz, Bolivia"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
18 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

Does anyone think the k1 will actually go through for all of us waiting or are they going to keep it on the backburner until it gets removed as an option? Will they at least continue processing the ones who have been submitted? Even if we do get our k1s, will the USCIS even be around to submit our AOS? If we all get told no more k1s and we get married and file for a spousal visa, will it take years due to there being an almost non-existent USCIS? 

I am checking these boards every single day and not a speck of good news ...for months. I'm always checking the news each day and it's always something really bad about USCIS shutting down or the post office..etc. I've never been this depressed and heartbroken in my life. I regret filing a k1 more than anything and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Does anyone see any light at the end of the tunnel? I just want some good news for once, if even really small.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
18 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

Does anyone think the k1 will actually go through for all of us waiting or are they going to keep it on the backburner until it gets removed as an option? Will they at least continue processing the ones who have been submitted? Even if we do get our k1s, will the USCIS even be around to submit our AOS? If we all get told no more k1s and we get married and file for a spousal visa, will it take years due to there being an almost non-existent USCIS? 

I am checking these boards every single day and not a speck of good news ...for months. I'm always checking the news each day and it's always something really bad about USCIS shutting down or the post office..etc. I've never been this depressed and heartbroken in my life. I regret filing a k1 more than anything and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Does anyone see any light at the end of the tunnel? I just want some good news for once, if even really small.

I can totally understand your frustration... this all is very heartbreaking for me. My fiancé had his interview last March (2019) and ever since then has been in administrative processing. When I use to email the embassy they would reply and say our case is under administrative processing. And now when I email them, they reply with we aren’t processing k1 visas right now due to covid 19. So I don’t even know what to do anymore at this point :( 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.