zochu

This is frustrating!

130 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

I don't get my guidance on morality based on arbitrary laws and I don't really care if someone else breaks some red tape nonsensical laws. I think it's OK for people to break stupid laws and I don't understand some people's rigidity. 

It wasn't a comment on morality. You do you. It was a comment on addressing violations today and until/unless laws change.

I'm going to assume none of those that it's OK to break include immigration laws.

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

6 minutes ago, DeParaquedasBrasi said:

A woman who is in her ninth month of pregnancy can fly into any POE and bluntly say she wants to give birth in America to the CBP as long as she has proof of funds to pay for it and will be allowed to enter. It is completely legal.

Likely not...most airlines stop allowing somebody who is that late into a pregnancy to fly. It's a medical risk.

Well, she needs proof of ability to pay for it and plans to do it (just showing money would likely be insufficient without also having an arrangement and estimates of costs) and intent to return home.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

28 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It wasn't a comment on morality. You do you. It was a comment on addressing violations today and until/unless laws change.

Interracial marriage used to be illegal in some states. In Saudi Arabia it's illegal to be atheist. I have no problem with people breaking laws like this. 

Edited by Orangesapples

17 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Interracial marriage used to be illegal in some states. In Saudi Arabia it's illegal to be atheist. I have no problem with people breaking laws like this. 

Not exactly US immigration, which appeared to be the topic, but ok.

I don’t have a problem with those stances either. I’m not sure how one breaks the law prohibiting interracial marriage, though...?

The other item is a well accepted human right. I don’t think misrepresenting one’s intent to avoid a longer wait falls into the same category.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

I'm going to assume none of those that it's OK to break include immigration laws.

Likely not...most airlines stop allowing somebody who is that late into a pregnancy to fly. It's a medical risk.

Well, she needs proof of ability to pay for it and plans to do it (just showing money would likely be insufficient without also having an arrangement and estimates of costs) and intent to return home.

There is an entire industry happening in Southern california where pregnant mothers pay 50-100k to have their baby in US. Soon i think they are going to go after citizenship limited to Greencard and US citizen. 

duh

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Donald120383 said:

There is an entire industry happening in Southern california where pregnant mothers pay 50-100k to have their baby in US. Soon i think they are going to go after citizenship limited to Greencard and US citizen. 

Who are they paying this money to? There is no immigration benefit to having a child born here so are they banking that basically 20 years down the road the child will come to the US and sponsor the parents?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***VJ Moderation reminder; keep posts civil, some recent posts were close to running afoul of the TOS; if that continues, Administrative Action may be taken.  Consider this your only warning.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• Ryan H unlocked this topic
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
51 minutes ago, designguy said:

Who are they paying this money to? There is no immigration benefit to having a child born here so are they banking that basically 20 years down the road the child will come to the US and sponsor the parents?

I thought it was less than that but anyway free education, possibly free University Education looking at the election promises, future ability to sponsor family, work authorisation how much is that worth?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, elmcitymaven said:

My dark heart likes this weather enough, but would be happier in the gloom. (I lived in the UK for a dozen years -- it is writ upon my soul at this point.) We're just putting in our time in SoCal before decamping to the Pacific Northwest.

We will welcome you to our grey skies and dark forests.  There is much mud.  

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

I’m not sure how one breaks the law prohibiting interracial marriage, though...?

By marrying someone from another race? Like in this case that made it to the Supreme Court and the couple was sentenced to a year in prison:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia

And of course laws like that are on a totally different level from current immigration laws but the point of that extreme example is that what is legal is not necessarily what's right. I don't get frustrated if people don't stick to laws that don't make sense.

In my case, I've done everything "right" according to this site but I don't feel superior because of it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is important to remember that we do not see a representative sample, there are far more adjusting, far fewer CR1's and K1's in the real world.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

It is still a thing, and it is such a thing that the US is the world leader in "birth tourism". Yup, you heard that right. In Brazil, many wealthy couples invest an average of USD 30k to travel to the US and give birth so that their kid will have American citizenship. There are even agencies that specialize in the process and find them accommodation, hospitals, etc

And that, my friend, is just wrong. Plain out simple wrong!  

5 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

By marrying someone from another race? Like in this case that made it to the Supreme Court and the couple was sentenced to a year in prison:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia

And of course laws like that are on a totally different level from current immigration laws but the point of that extreme example is that what is legal is not necessarily what's right. I don't get frustrated if people don't stick to laws that don't make sense.

I typed a detailed response here, but decided not to post as it covers topics that may run afoul of the TOS ...not in support of them, but I have a feeling just discussing them would not be in the spirit of the mod's warning.

I'll just leave it at knowingly misrepresenting one's intent for personal gain is prohibited by current law, and it is never justified to lie to immigration officials for personal gain. One's personal opinion on if that is the way they should be or not is their own decision to make.

Gotcha re: Loving vs Virginia. The issue there was not getting married, it was residing in Virginia while being in an interracial marriage. I was referring to how does one violate it by marrying within a jurisdiction when it is prohibited there. I see the point now. 👍

Although that was both 1) challenging an invalid law (pr the SCOTUS decision), and 2) persecution for living one's lifestyle in violation of local social norms and human rights. That's very materially different from requesting an immigration benefit from the government.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Unlockable said:

Some excellent points being brought up in this thread. But one thing I want to point out. There is nothing wrong with having said emotions that are mentioned in this thread. Whether it is anger, frustration, or jealousy; emotions are a natural thing. There have even been studies that showed some animals displaying those emotions. 

Emotions are natural, but it is what we do with them that makes a difference. Some take emotions to the extreme by breaking laws or hurting others. Others use it as motivation for change.

I'm quite sure everybody have had someone come to them simply to vent. Everybody should have an method to deal with their emotions. OP started to topic to vent which resulted in some good back and forth. 

Definitely!  It is interesting to visit these types of threads every so often to see the variety of opinions.  The simple fact is that life in general is not fair, and just like an individual that takes advantage of a business opportunity and succeeds, we see the same thing when it comes to immigration.  AOSing From an NIV is legal, and in the spirit of VJ, if someone comes here with the potential of taking that option, I won’t deny them the information that may be helpful. I think the emotion stems from the assumption that most folks taking this route were in fact lying at the POE, maybe they were, maybe they weren’t, who are we to judge. I, along with others here, would like to see some modifications to immigration laws, but that will take government action which seems unlikely in the near future.  Lastly, I do love to see references to the 90 day rule every so often, especially coming for lawyer advice.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, designguy said:

The USA has the most powerful passport in the world.  There are more visa free countries than even the UK or Canada associated with it.  It's a huge advantage for a child to have through life.  There are agencies that help with birth tourism by finding accommodations and helping people with paying the hospitals and doctors. 

I'm sure many of the parents are hoping their children will eventually sponsor the parents but essentially they do it for the passport. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.