Koko bongo

Trump's Travel Ban Mega Thread

2,378 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 hours ago, Major said:

That mean you don’t think it wise to wait till a later date for my second wedding anniversary?

No one knows how the ban is going to actually affect everything yet. My opinion enter US before Feb 22, it is easier to "fight" immigration inside the US than outside just incase....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Ayodele1401 said:

I really hope so because my brother fiancée is planning to file for him this coming week! I hope this restriction won’t affect Spousal visas applicants 

The ban includes all types of immigrant visas, including spousal.  Since K-1 has immigration intent it may be affected too.  Waivers will be possible but those will take a long time to process, and the hurdle is high, extreme hardship to the US citizen spouse or fiancee has to be documented, with no guarantee of approval.  This is not good news for Nigerian US visa hopefuls, and the other countries added to the travel ban list.  The door has not closed completely, so don't give up!  And in November, things may change if Trump is defeated in the election.  So my advice would be to file as usual and see what happens.  Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Treasure1 said:

"First, as I said before, it is important to remember that this Proclamation only restricts entry on certain categories of immigrant visas. Family members can still visit their loved ones, businesses can still employ qualified candidates, and other visits can take place on a temporary basis with a non-immigrant visa."

I just observed he used certain categories of immigrant visas and not all categories of immigrant visas. Hopefully fiance(e) and spousal visas won't be affected 

As stated in the DHS website: Nigeria does not comply with the established identity management and information sharing criteria assessed by performance metrics.  

suspension of entry for immigrants except as special immigrants whose eligibility is based on having assistance to the US government.

My man, this is affecting all spousal visA categories. 

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, Beedee170407 said:

Hello VJ,

I’m so devastated by the news that imposes a travel ban upon Nigerians and the other affected countries. I’ve cried all morning regarding this because I am officially unable to see my husband until God knows when because of it. I miss him so much and this news has taken an inevitable toll on both of us. 

My husband doesn’t have an American passport but has decided to work on getting one so he can visit me. I would also really like to visit him and our family in the states. I am seriously considering cancelling my CR1 process and just visiting as a tourist with my current B2 visa just so I can spend time with him and our family but I’m worried that this might be a problem at POE, will this cause a lot of scrutiny? Please advise on your thoughts, I’m so devastated, this truly hurts. I wish Trump could see the lasting effects that this has on intending immigrants with honest reasons for living in America. They have distabilised my new marriage and now we don’t know what to do. Please help, thank you. 

I saw my husband more often as a tourist than as a CR1 applicant. I wish we never started this process now :(

The issue is less so with trump and more with the standards of Nigerian security procedures and level of documentation. Maybe reach out to your Nigerian Congressman equivalent (not sure what it is in Nigeria) and advocate for them to make changes to meet the standards 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

I thought it only affected immigration visas for those countries added?

Cause technically.. k1 is non-immigration 🤔

But I would find it difficult to believe that a fiance could travel while a spouse could not.   I would expect it to be implemented like the existing ban.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, Koko bongo said:

So what becomes the right of US citizens who find love in these affected countries and wish their partners immigrate to join them. 

The bottom line is that it will take longer than before, with a higher level of scrutiny.  And no guarantee of success after months or years in the process.  Things may change in a year if there is a new president in the white house, so file and hope for the best by then.  It may also help to have a plan B, in order to be together the US citizen may have to move abroad to live with the person they fell in love with.  Good luck and don't give up!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Immigration is not a right , that is why you file a petition to request the privilege to have a foreigner join you in the US. The government has decided for the time being that certain countries are to fraud prone and anti american to grant the petition without special investigations.  Nigeria is on that list.   If you want to be together now, the option is for you to move there.  To bring someone here has become a multi year process.  I know that goes against the immediate gratification that US citizens think is there right but it used to be the standard process.   The government is seeing it as the  good for the many versus the pain for a few. 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

The question is about the date of the visa. 

My wife’s k-1 has an issue date that is two days after the interview.  The visa and passport were not available for pickup until about ten working days later.  

I was responding to someone else stated this "He said that if everything goes smoothly at his interview and that if he is told he is being approved that day(even if he does not have visa in hand by February 22nd) that means that he should be exempt from this."

I wanted to point out that a visa is not approved till it's issued. A CO can tell you that you are approved but take 7 months to finish the adjudication of the interview. I've seen before. There are lots of cases similar to my example with different timelines.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
2 hours ago, osmosesnew said:

I would not worry too much. If every goes well his visa will be issued within three business days. My brother had Interview Jan 21 (Tuesday) and got back his passport with visa on Friday. Just make sure he is well prepared so nothing goes wrong.

Also my friend had interview same Jan 21. He was verbally told he is being approved but his visa cannot be issued because he needs to complete Sputum Culture which will take 10 weeks. I worry for him because his visa was not issued yet despite being told he has been approved.

Your brother from Nigeria? I'm just looking at some people's process from Nigeria and it's the dang administrative processes they go into that can take two or three days. I've seen some people have to wait a month before they get issued one. But typically it's supposed to be 7 to day. I'd love for it to be two or three! All I can do is pray and ask the Lord for favor. I will be with him at interview. 3rd trip over. This is just so shocking. I hope it gets held up in court and doesnt go into affect right away 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, CoriandPhilemon said:

Do you know anything about the waiver? What makes someone “eligible”?

The CO will make that determination.

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, osmosesnew said:

Yes.. Unless a new president issues another order that overrides this present one.

Or more like, unless Nigeria gets their act together.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Good evening VJ

I am a Married daughter of a US citizen currently residing in Lagos, Nigeria.  My immigrant  visa interview with my husband and two children is on March 12th 2020. 

What should My expectations be considering the immigrant visa ban on Nigeria announced yesterday by President Trump. Will I get the visa ?. Will i and my family be denied due the the new policy which will take effect  this February?. Thank you for your insights and guidiance. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am from Pakistan(citizen of Pakistan) , living in Kyrgyzstan on study visa , US department of homeland security put restrictions to grant immigrant visa for people of kyrgyzstan, it’s canna effect me too ,(we have chosen US embessy in kyrgyzstan,)  if it is so should i change US consulate from kyrgyzstan to Pakistan for interview , we haven’t yet submitted documents to NVC!! I’d really appreciate, need your advice , thanks a lot 😟

Good evening VJ

I am Nigerian and a Married daughter of a US citizen currently residing in Lagos, Nigeria.  My immigrant  visa interview with my husband and two children under the (F3) visa classification comes up  on March 12th 2020. 

Considering the immigrant visa ban on Nigeria announced yesterday by President Trump?

1.Will I get the visa ?.

2.Will i and my family be denied due the the new policy which will take effect  this February?.

3.What is the best possible way for me to handle this new development to get the best or favorable outcome ?.

4. What options do we have ?.

Thank you for your insights and guidiance. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, UC3 said:

Good evening VJ

I am Nigerian and a Married daughter of a US citizen currently residing in Lagos, Nigeria.  My immigrant  visa interview with my husband and two children under the (F3) visa classification comes up  on March 12th 2020. 

Considering the immigrant visa ban on Nigeria announced yesterday by President Trump?

1.Will I get the visa ?.

2.Will i and my family be denied due the the new policy which will take effect  this February?.

3.What is the best possible way for me to handle this new development to get the best or favorable outcome ?.

4. What options do we have ?.

Thank you for your insights and guidiance. 

Nobody knows yet, i am also at the NVC stage and the news is shocking, they said the ban takes effect on the 22nd of February. But i feel everyone who was approved before this date will be approved. Best of luck to us all. The process is draining enough, now this. Sad

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.