Koko bongo

Trump's Travel Ban Mega Thread

2,378 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Oman
Timeline
39 minutes ago, SorrowL said:

The consular Officer you see during your visa interview will inform you how you can overcome your denial, if it is possible.

I don't have an appointment yet at the embassy. So the issue of being denied is not practical at this moment.

Can I expedite my appointment before the deadline?

41 minutes ago, Besamiot said:

Bans are always imposed when a country fails to comply with certain standards the U S wants them to comply. If Nigeria does everything they are expected to do vis a vis the American government,  the ban could be lifted. I'm counting on that.

You are right. Something to do with security standards 

Just now, Angel4love said:

I don't have an appointment yet at the embassy. So the issue of being denied is not practical at this moment.

Very unlikely, as everyone is going to attempt to pile in before the ban.

visa Issued

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, jookco said:

Hello legal experts please help. I'm from Nigeria , one of the countries added to Trump's new visa ban. My two year green card has expired and I have since filed to remove the conditional residence and get 10 years greencard . My application was filed since January 2019 and it remain pending. My question is how does this ban affect me? Can I still get my 10 years green card? Can I still file for citizenship? And finally Can I apply to get the new traveling documents to travel with my expired greencard and return to the states without any problems? Please help. Thanks in advance for your help.

I doubt this would have any impact on you at your current or future stages.  My understanding is that this ban is mostly about the ability of the consulate to get background information from the local government(s).  When it was proposed, Belarus was also mentioned as a potential candidate, but apparently they made some improvements.  Additionally, you should have no issues getting an I551 stamp if necessary when your extension letter expiration date is nearing.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
48 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

You are fine since you hold a Pakistani passport.  You are classified as a Third Country National.  When you interview and upload to NVC just be prepared that you will need to upload or have documents from both countries.  

Thanks I appreciate 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, SorrowL said:

The ban can be stopped, Overturned, or blocked pending court review. If not, your other option is to get a waiver.

Yes I hope so

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Angel4love said:

You are right. Something to do with security standards 

You can expedite but the system has to approve it. If they really dont want immigration from Nigeria,  it would be the same. But it doesn't hurt to try.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

As my wife is from Myanmar and was approved last month for a year green card, I asked a similar question of her lawyer. She replied “legally, this ban does not apply to“ green card holders.  

However the lawyer noted that not all border officers understand the details of the new regulation and so one should expect drama at the port of entry.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I will advice you not to cancle your I-130 petition, lets put our trust hope in God anything can happen. Don't lose hope, I believe something will still be done at least for those old CR1. I believe there will still be a considration to those that file few months back.. So don't lose hope lets trust in God. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Based on the reasoning used in the Proclamation as to why B1/b2 visas were not affected (namely that the USA’s immigration laws give the executive branch more authority to expel undesirable visitors) I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that K-1 will be exempt.  

After the 90 days expire and the AOS application is received, the k-1 holder has an authorized presence.  So presumably it is much easier to expel an undesirable K-1 holder under a pending AOS than a I-551 holder.  

21 hours ago, S&Pro said:

I just saw this too. I just filed my K-1 this month and am feeling so sick about it. I don't know what this means for the K-1

Dont worry the ban is not forever...anytime it can be lifted. The main thing is to get ur process started. Travel to see ur partner always....u guys can take vacations to diff countries until the ban is lifted....

4 hours ago, NigeriaorBust said:

Immigration is not a right , that is why you file a petition to request the privilege to have a foreigner join you in the US. The government has decided for the time being that certain countries are to fraud prone and anti american to grant the petition without special investigations.  Nigeria is on that list.   If you want to be together now, the option is for you to move there.  To bring someone here has become a multi year process.  I know that goes against the immediate gratification that US citizens think is there right but it used to be the standard process.   The government is seeing it as the  good for the many versus the pain for a few. 

I don't think ur necessarily giving the right advice. Bec not everybody wants to move to ther spouse countries most of those countries doesnt have jobs. The ban is not forever it can always be lifted. It just take a longer time.

Wow I love the answers am getting. Thanks a lot guys 

34 minutes ago, Mike E said:

As my wife is from Myanmar and was approved last month for a year green card, I asked a similar question of her lawyer. She replied “legally, this ban does not apply to“ green card holders.  

However the lawyer noted that not all border officers understand the details of the new regulation and so one should expect drama at the port of entry.  

Go to know this, good news for me . Thanks a lot

1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

I doubt this would have any impact on you at your current or future stages.  My understanding is that this ban is mostly about the ability of the consulate to get background information from the local government(s).  When it was proposed, Belarus was also mentioned as a potential candidate, but apparently they made some improvements.  Additionally, you should have no issues getting an I551 stamp if necessary when your extension letter expiration date is nearing.

Good Luck!

Thanks Bill for that clarification. 

*** Duplicate threads merged. Please do not start more than one thread per topic.

VJ Moderation 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.