MattFly19

How quickly could I go to the US?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Having enough money to support yourself is important, but the bigger hurdle for you may be showing strong ties to your home country. Since you can just leave on a short notice for such a long time can give the impression that there isn’t much that you have to go back for. It ultimately does not matter how much money you have on you if the officer believes that you have no intentions to go home.

I agree with all the advice already given to you. The fact that you do not really have a lot to go back for, does not work in your favor., also the fact that you can be gone for a couple of months is not helping.. Not saying that you will have issues, but there might be some red flags as far as CBP is concerned.. As mentioned before, we are all guilty of overstaying and illegally staying in the US until proven otherwise 😉

I would suggest a shorter trip, this might help..

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, MattFly19 said:

But I don't have dodgy intentions. I literally just want to see my girlfriend haha.

I just want to know what kind of length of time ~4k would get me. Would that be suitable in their eyes for a 2 month stay?

And if so

If 

"Hi, I'm wanting to stay for two months. Girlfriend lives here, have the money to support myself (with her address on my application)"

Is that really that vague? I have a Limited company back home, surely that shows I have to get home sooner or later? It's in my nature to panic, and be anxious, I hate flying - hence why I really, really do not want to get rejected. 

Put yourself in the shoes of the CBP Officer at you point of entry in the US........

1.  By law, you are ALREADY assumed to have intent to stay in the US and adjust your status illegally.

2.  Girl Friend in the US

3.  Works remotely.

4.  No dwelling lease or commitment. 

I know @JFH already said this, but begs the question.......What can you do to overcome the suspicion? Remember, the officer just needs to suspect....no proof needed.......good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, NigeriaorBust said:

Is your girlfriend a US resident or just on a student visa ? 

She's currently a US citizen but eligible to be either UK/US. The lucky sod has a three different passports.

How about a shorter stay, & if I was to book a hotel, so we aren't staying at her house. Would that add more weight? It makes it actually seem more holiday-like.

I'm shocked at how tricky going for a little break seems to be. I will always respect another countries laws, and I will always be honest & transparent, but if I can change the structure of the trip to keep BC happy, then I will try to do that. 

Thank you everyone 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, MattFly19 said:

How about a shorter stay, & if I was to book a hotel, so we aren't staying at her house. Would that add more weight? It makes it actually seem more holiday-like.

The key is your being able to show reasons you will return to UK after the visit......not the structure of the visit............Maybe you won't have any problems......but some have had issues when not being able to show strong ties to their home.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I don't understand why everyone is being so negative. Since 2014 I've made 3 trips of one month, and a couple 3 week trips. I do understand two months is longer, but I don't think it should cause you any problems. Never ever had I had a problem entering the U.S. Not once have I had to show proof that I had enough money to support myself during the trip, and only once have I had to show proof of my return flight. Now, I do suggest to book a return flight because there is a chance they will ask for it, and it could cause a problem if you haven't booked a flight home. But otherwise I don't think you should have any problems at all. Just be prepared to answer questions such as: why are you here? Where are you staying? How long are you staying? Just explain that you're visiting your girlfriend, and that you have a return flight booked, and you should be fine

My husband (just boyfriend at the time) from the UK visited me for two months back in 2014. His flight was booked less than a week before his visit date. We had not met in person before that. He had no job to show he needed to return to, only about $500 in cash. He had a bit more in savings and he brought a print out of his bank account for that. The only “tie” he was able to bring along was a print out showing he was enrolled in classes starting 3 months from when his visit was.

Now, all of this ended up being irrelevant because all the CBP officer asked was what was the length and purpose of his visit. “Two months, visiting my girlfriend”. Passport stamped.

Was this out of the ordinary? According to this thread, apparently. We still did try to prepare with having him fly with the savings account print out and his class transcripts, but again those are very weak ties. You sound like you were in a much better position than we were at that point. There is no magic answer or document you can show that will guarantee entry, but you should still think of what you can show in case you are asked more questions than my husband was at the time.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I guess what it really comes down to is the CBP officer you are getting. What everyone here (Including myself) is telling you is their opinion, nobody knows what or even if the officer will ask, just be prepared to answer honestly as entry into the U.S. is at their discretion.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi there, just trying to provide you with some info/ experience I had. I visited the states for three months last year, on a regular tourist visa (esta). I did not have any intentions on staying a day longer, as I was just on a longer holiday, and had to get back to work after the three months (as in, I really had no shady plans whatsoever). I had a return ticket, I had no plans on working there, no red flags. My fiancé is actually working for the government, so there is no way, we would ever do anything to jeopardise his job. I am from Germany and I had visited LOADS of times prior to this visit. What happened once I landed: first I got questioned by the regular boarder control. I answered all of his questions with no hesitation, and was full on honest. I had 5k€ on my bank account, 500$ in my pocket. I really thought, he d be ok with my answers. However, he told me I had to go have an interview with the  Agents. So I went into their rooms, and they went through all my luggage, my phone, all my emails and social media. I was questioned about my motives for 2.5 hours, by three people at the same time. I told them multiple times that I was only going to read, chill, go to see Miami and some other cool places, literally no plans to do anything but chill (yeah I am that lazy). I just wanted to visit my fiancé for three months, return tickets booked and everything. I told them over and over again, to please call him, because he is working for the government and stuff. They did not call him. They told me they wanted to speak with me. If I did not like my country, and if I was sure I as going to go back? They also made weird comments about my pictures (#######) and a book I brought - I think they might have been bored or something. Either way, after 2.5 hours they found something on my phone they didn’t like. But I was able to explain that as well. I can tell you, i don’t think i would Ever go back to stay in the US for 3 months. It was a great time, but the time I spend there being questioned, wondering if I might have to go back on a plane, with the possibility of never getting to enter the country or whatever, it was super scary. Keep in mind, I had proof that I still had a job waiting for me (an email from my boss), I had also proof of a flat that I as paying (!) for monthly. So I had a lot of proof that I wasn’t going to stay there or try to do something sketchy. They also asked me, if we planned to get married and for me I stay there. I told them no, we cannot get married right now. It as just a lot of personal questions. So if I were you, i would try to get some proof that you’re going to go back at some point, i would also not mention anything about working from abroad. But that’s just my story, you might be lucky and have a different experience!! Just trying to help someone out, because I honestly didn’t think I would ever have to go through anything that humiliating. Especially, since I had so much „proof“ and because my fiancé has been working for the government all his life. Good luck to you, and safe travels! 

9 hours ago, JFH said:

I might add that I work for an airline. A ticket purchased at very short notice, someone of working age, traveling alone for a lengthy stay...don’t be surprised to see SSSS on your boarding pass.

I get that already sometimes and I book months in advance for a 1 week stay. 🤷‍♂️ Working on getting global entry now...maybe that'll help (since it includes TSA Precheck).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

From firsthand experience, my fiancé was gonna try to spend the summer (90 days max) with me, and got refused at DTW. They wouldn't even give him a week to stay, and sent him right back home. He had a VWP, and first time flying. It was a complete nightmare! 

Throw out the 2 months, and go with 1-2 weeks max WITH A RETURN TICKET. It's no guarantee,  but they will not give you 2 months for a first-timer. 

• 7-15-1   I-129F Sent
  • 7-17-19    I-129F Received
  • 7-22-19    NOA1
  • 10-25-19  NOA2 / Hardcopy Received 11-1-19
  • 11-7-19    NVC RECEIVED
  • 11-12-19  RECEIVED CASE #
  • 3-17-20    MEDICAL (CANCELLED) 
  • 3-30-20    INTERVIEW (CANCELLED) 
  • 6-25-20    MEDICAL (RESCHEDULED/CANCELLED/TBD)
  • 7-8-20      INTERVIEW (RESCHEDULED/CANCELLED)
  • 7-9-20   INTERVIEW (RESCHEDULED/CANCELLED/TBD)
  • ?-?-21 MEDICAL 
  • ?-?-21  INTERVIEW 

Matthew 6:33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 

Psalm 37:4,5Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart.  Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass. 

Genesis 2:18And the Lord God said, it is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.  

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.