MattFly19

How quickly could I go to the US?

40 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

I get that already sometimes and I book months in advance for a 1 week stay. 🤷‍♂️ Working on getting global entry now...maybe that'll help (since it includes TSA Precheck).

Geo, you'll LOVE GE.

This is My personal experience. But note everyone's experience is different. And this was a while ago, 

It was my first time for me visiting my husband in his home country , he had been to visit me a good few times in the uk. So I wanted to visit him and his family and explore where he was from, I applied for the esta and booked a 90 day return trip. (You need to show proof of return flight) I was asked why I was going to America and why i was going for so long by check in staff at the airport. I told them my reasons when handing over my passport and They were happy and gave me my boarding pass. (But note It's down to the officers in America to let you in, even with an esta. They have the last say!!!) 

I got to America and the custom officer at the boarder asked for my passport, how long I was over here for and if I had intentions of immigrating. To which I replied honestly one day but I'm only visiting for now. I showed him my return flight information and esta and He told me and my husband to park in the car park and to go inside and speak with the custom officers. I lined up and then was called over. They wanted my passport, asked how long I was over here for, wanted to see proof of return flight, asked how much money I had, and how I was going to support myself for the time here, they wanted to see proof of home ties, job, and then once he looked over all my information he told me if I stay over the time stamped in my passport there will be consequences and I will be banned from re entering.  My flight home was booked for the 11th July and he gave me till the 16th to leave. But I left exactly on the 11th!! Give them truthful straight forward answers to their questions. They are trained to know when somebody is lying. It is a little daunting. I must remind you again it is completely down to the officers to let you in. Nobody can tell you for certain they will let you in and you will be fine. They might find reasons not too. But Good luck. 🤞🏼

Edited by Debzib88

Reading this thread has made me realise how lucky I was to spend 2-2.5 months at a time with my now fiancé 4 times in between semesters at university. It’s what I told the CBP officers each time, that I was visiting my boyfriend before going back to university, and got questioned a bit and was let through. On one occasion, I was given a stern warning that I cannot marry my boyfriend while visiting, and I agreed and said that I had no intention to. Best of luck, OP!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline
11 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

You are dispensing inaccurate info.  Return ticket is REQUIRED when traveling on VWP.

Apologies for that! Thank you for correcting me 

20 hours ago, JFH said:

I might add that I work for an airline. A ticket purchased at very short notice, someone of working age, traveling alone for a lengthy stay...don’t be surprised to see SSSS on your boarding pass. 

Oh now I’m intrigued what does SSSS stand for? Super sweet sensible Sheila 😂

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it on my boarding pass and I have a tendency to book last minuet and staying for up to 6 weeks at a time.. 

with Ref to the guy wanting to visit his lady, Good for him wanting to see her, Be sure to have plenty of money to support yourself for the entire duration and evidence of your intention to go home.. we can’t really tell u what to have because it depends on the guy on the desk on the day, but a lot of valid points here have been raised.. 

personally, I haven’t had any issues visiting my husband, it’s usually just questions like why are you here, where are you staying and have you got a return or onward ticket.. 

As a frequent traveller to different countries, my only question would be, why as a tourist check out this type of site? I mean I know it has parts about tourist visas, but I can’t say I’ve ever visited one of these sites for info before applying for a immigration visa..  🤷‍♀️

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

3 hours ago, Teacake said:

Reading this thread has made me realise how lucky I was to spend 2-2.5 months at a time with my now fiancé 4 times in between semesters at university. It’s what I told the CBP officers each time, that I was visiting my boyfriend before going back to university, and got questioned a bit and was let through. On one occasion, I was given a stern warning that I cannot marry my boyfriend while visiting, and I agreed and said that I had no intention to. Best of luck, OP!

Actually you can marry whilst visiting as a tourist... the whole destination wedding thing is pretty cool, and people do it all the time... would mess up your k1 application a little though 😂😂

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

1 hour ago, Duke & Marie said:

Actually you can marry whilst visiting as a tourist... the whole destination wedding thing is pretty cool, and people do it all the time... would mess up your k1 application a little though 😂😂

Haha yeah, I know you CAN get married as a tourist, but I’m almost certain him bringing it up and getting me to agree was so I could later be held accountable for entering the US on fraudulent conditions if I did get married and attempt to adjust my status at the time.

Editing just to make it clear that I had 0 intentions of getting married! He just thought to bring it up when I mentioned visiting my USC boyfriend.

Edited by Teacake

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

When you arrive, just remember, do not volunteer information. A lot of times, when trying to be completely transparent about our intentions, we tend to talk and "clarify". Volunteering information can make it so more questions can stem out of the original one.

Not volunteering information example:

CBP Officer: What's the purpose of your visit?

YOU: Holiday

CBP Officer: How long do you plan on staying? 

YOU: 3 weeks

Answer what you are being asked truthfully ALWAYS. Limit your answers to what you are being asked.  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've visited for about a month at at time, several times and was simply asked how much money I had to support myself. No return ticket, not anything else. It was not my first trip though when I first went for one month, I had only been on 1 week trips prior.

I am from Canada though, maybe because its closer in proximity, it might be less suspicious. But I don't think you'll have any problems if you're honest and bring proper documentation. Maybe slightly shorter than 3 months will make you feel better idk, but plenty do stay for 3 months as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.