dmaan

extreme vetting (social media)

43 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

image.png.86a0bcb00357f5bb49c493b080d4c9a7.png

6 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

The best way to look at it is Yes they can. 

Now I haven't looked at the new forms but I think they ask for your user names and passwords. They will have full access to everything. just remember once on the net forever on the net. Nothing is truly deleted. 

DS-160 and DS-260 last checked specifically DOES NOT ask for passwords. 

Edited by Shiran

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Shiran said:

image.png.86a0bcb00357f5bb49c493b080d4c9a7.png

DS-160 and DS-260 last checked specifically DOES NOT ask for passwords. 

You're 6 hours late. i already got that info.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 hours ago, dmaan said:

do you know the user or have any reference to that thread?

I believe this is the thread in question. 

Notice it "googled" by a councilor officer prior to the interview, not part of any systematic Orwellian information gathering scheme.

Edited by Shiran

4 hours ago, Shiran said:

I believe this is the thread in question. 

Notice it "googled" by a councilor officer prior to the interview, not part of any systematic Orwellian information gathering scheme.

That thread is a good example but it is not the thread @kris&me was referring to. It happened a year or two ago and the officer specifically stated that the beneficiary had multiple contact with other women. The OP of that thread even scanned the 221g that showed what the officer wrote, IIRC.

If I find it I will share

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

2 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

That thread is a good example but it is not the thread @kris&me was referring to. It happened a year or two ago and the officer specifically stated that the beneficiary had multiple contact with other women. The OP of that thread even scanned the 221g that showed what the officer wrote, IIRC.

If I find it I will share

please do, im curious about this...

pic2_2022.jpg.c44bdafe791ace24f3ee1b38379ac5ab.jpg

*** Multiple non-contributing posts removed. Let's stay on topic.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I doubt they will ask password. That would in direct violation of your T&C with the platform choice. They forbid sharing passwords and since most of them are US based, there is conflict. Unless ordered by a judge in US, they cannot force you to tell the password and even then you can just stay quiet.

Also even if they ask for the password, if you have 2FA enabled, what they gonna do ? And I know 2FA can be bypassed.

Also you really think they are gonna look through every post ? They are likely cross referencing usernames across public pages with whatever algorithm the FBI/CIA has provided them.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If you've made threats against the President (any of them, regardless of political affiliation) or made violent remarks about the US, expect scrutiny.  That's exactly as it should be, for the safety and well-being of the rest of us living here.

Yes, they can't force you to input passwords, which is, once again, exactly how it should be.  But if they have doubt about whether a person is a threat to the US, I'd wager a guess that a long stay in AP purgatory may be in the cards, until such time that you're proven not to be a threat.

Edited by EmilyW

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

With many people meeting their spouses through social media (myself included), they will want to confirm that the foreigner hadn't been attempting to find any USC to swindle and petition for them; i.e: that the relationship was legit.

There's also the concern about how often the government finds retroactively that terrorists had been in social media contact with extremist groups before carrying out their attacks. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't think they will see your private messages or posts

It's all about making sure that you're not involved in something bad 

They check your social media history what you posted and your interests 

And all they care about is making sure of two things

You really have a genuine love

And also that you're not a terrorist

Other than that you don't have to worry

And btw i filled out my DS 160 a week ago they ask only about your user name no password

Edited by Gia & Dave

15 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

That's why, just in case, whenever sending a private message or speaking out loud, I praise the USCIS and send them all my love. 😅

I started getting nervous having Alexa in the house because every once in a while she'd chime in without being invoked and so we know she's recorded things we wouldn't want recorded.  We have the news on all the time and there's a whole lot of :ranting:.    Every once in a while we would call out for alexa and then say how much we love USCIS, ICE, IRS or whatever government entity we need to keep on the good side of.

One night we kissed and said good night out of the blue Alexa started reciting Patrick Henry's entire speech that ends with the famous "Give Me Liberty or Give me Death".  It was fascinating and we let her finish but disconcerting.

15 hours ago, kris&me said:

a while back a VJ member posted that her bf had been denied (can not remember what embassy) and she was told the beneficary was talking on social media to several women about love and marriage

and this was before the ds 5535 or the new questions on ds 160/ds260

&^%^ that's a hellva bust!!!!!!!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
17 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

The best way to look at it is Yes they can. 

Now I haven't looked at the new forms but I think they ask for your user names and passwords. They will have full access to everything. just remember once on the net forever on the net. Nothing is truly deleted. 

Asking for passwords? On the DS 160, they are "only" asking for usernames. I wonder what would give them the right to ask one's passwords.

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

Asking for passwords? On the DS 160, they are "only" asking for usernames. I wonder what would give them the right to ask one's passwords.

Actually there have been members who have been asked to sign in to their FB accounts. What gives them the right national security. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.