SCOREAU

US spouse has student debt. If I move there, am I liable?

92 posts in this topic

In the process of applying to move to usa as the uk spouse of a us citizen who has been in uk for a decade. Am I liable for her student debt ( alot of money ) amassed before I knew of her existence.?

Quite important, as I'd rather we stay here if that's the case. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

In the process of applying to move to usa as the uk spouse of a us citizen who has been in uk for a decade. Am I liable for her student debt ( alot of money ) amassed before I knew of her existence.?

No....

:idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

Immigration Journey:

• Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
  • "..case ready to be scheduled for interview" on 5/29/2019

she should be paying her student debt even if she is there 😕

but no, you are no obligated personally for her debts incurred before you.

i 485, 131, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 131

04/19/2019    Rec'd appointment letter for biometrics

05/02/2019    Biometrics

05/15/2019    Submitted initial request for EAD expedite

05/22/2019    Rec'd RFE for job offer letter for expedited EAD. Sent. Also submitted to Senator's Office for their assistance.

06/05/2019    EAD APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!  06/06/2019    AP Approval

06/13/2019    Combo Card Received in Mail

Posted (edited)

you are not even if you divorce but if she passes away,  any debts must be paid from her estate 

you may want her to get a life insurance policy to cover these

Edited by adil-rafa

36 minutes ago, Roel said:

That's so odd. Assuming your love your spouse, you'd rather stay separately than move in and help her pay off her debt? Love these days...

It has everything to do with my retiring early, being free of debt, and providing for my wife and daughter, who is settled here anyway - and not moving to a country that, apart from having no public healthcare, would be our final life decision in terms of where we live. I'm through with debt. It's called being sensible.

37 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

you are not even if you divorce but if she passes away,  any debts must be paid from her estate 

you may want her to get a life insurance policy to cover these

She has nothing over there, apart from student debt and family.

57 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

not sure how long you have been married but this should have come up when she filed US tax returns (unless she is living solely off you)

and if that is the case,  she would not be able to meet the income requirements to support the spouse visa

2 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

It has everything to do with my retiring early, being free of debt, and providing for my wife and daughter, who is settled here anyway - and not moving to a country that, apart from having no public healthcare, would be our final life decision in terms of where we live. I'm through with debt. It's called being sensible.

She has nothing over there, apart from student debt and family.

but she and you will be required to file taxes when here /  married filing jointly,   they will expect student loan to be paid

any property she has here like bank account or other assets can be garnished/  it is hard to live without owning something

1 minute ago, SCOREAU said:

Call me selfish, but giving everything up here to move to more debt would be a silly choice.

Being retired early and completely out of debt myself, I completely understand you.  

Removal of Conditions

12/29/2018  Sent ROC package to Dallas PO Box by USPS Priority Mail. 

12/30/2018  ROC package arrived & ready for pickup at Dallas PO Box at 7pm.

12/31/2018  USCIS received date

01/03/2019  Credit card transaction alert received at 7:10am authorizing charge of $680 to USCIS Dallas Lockbox

01/03/2019  Received text message from USCIS stating original receipt to follow in mail and a receipt number starting with MSC.

01/07/2019  Added receipt number to myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ and it shows case received and nothing to do at this time.

01/11/2019  Received US Postal Service Informed Delivery email at 8:20am showing incoming letter from USCIS.

01/11/2019  Received biometric appointment in the mail.  Biometric appointment is for 01/22/2019

01/14/2019  Completed walk-in biometric at Tampa Field Office.

01/29/2019  Filed an online e-request due to no I-797 receipt mailed to date.  Received automated email to expect a reply by Feb. 20.

01/30/2019  E-request response received.  They will send a duplicate receipt and we should receive it within 30 days.

02/04/2019  Informed delivery show an incoming letter form USCIS.  Won't know if it is a copy or original extension letter as we are out of country for about another 2 weeks and mail is on hold until then.

02/19/2019  USPS delivered our "hold mail" today.  Received an original 18 month extension letter.   Notice date is 01/30/2019.

04/13/2019  Checked case status online.  Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview as of 04/04/2019

2 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

not sure how long you have been married but this should have come up when she filed US tax returns (unless she is living solely off you)

and if that is the case,  she would not be able to meet the income requirements to support the spouse visa

Thanks for replying. Married 10 years and she has permanent leave to remain in uk. Re immigration: I am being petitioned by my wife but relying solely on my assets here ( pensions, assets ). I just say mine because the house is in my name as wasn't working at time of buy and easier to not include her in buying process; that's all.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

Call me selfish, but giving everything up here to move to more debt would be a silly choice.

Deleted because I decided it wasn't worth is.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

2 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

not selfish if your life there is decent

everyone should see what liabilities they are getting into

i still say we should all see a credit report along with full medical and full criminal report

it is not asking too much if a person has nothing to hide

after all ,  a USC marrying another USC knows the person's job,  living arrangements and usually the family

you do not

2 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

not selfish if your life there is decent

everyone should see what liabilities they are getting into

i still say we should all see a credit report along with full medical and full criminal report

it is not asking too much if a person has nothing to hide

after all ,  a USC marrying another USC knows the person's job,  living arrangements and usually the family

you do not

We have a house, I have a good job. I have no criminal record. I can retire early. We can have a good life here, and it all feels like a bad choice. Okay, her family are there but if it all goes tits up, they won't be helping.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.