SCOREAU

US spouse has student debt. If I move there, am I liable?

105 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Roel said:

That's so odd. Assuming your love your spouse, you'd rather stay separately than move in and help her pay off her debt? Love these days...

It has nothing to do with love, marriage is a business

For me I will not marry someone whom has a : Alcohol Issue,  Drug Issue, Mental issue, Money issues, I rule them out as life partner, the are only play partners 

ChickBoy

56 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

It has everything to do with my retiring early, being free of debt, and providing for my wife and daughter, who is settled here anyway - and not moving to a country that, apart from having no public healthcare, would be our final life decision in terms of where we live. I'm through with debt. It's called being sensible.

I agree 100% with you :thumbs:

ChickBoy

1 hour ago, SCOREAU said:

No. Nothing. It's all here. She came with nothing.

Why is she defaulting on her debt?  If the goal is to never pay down the money she chose to borrow, best to stay in UK.

37 minutes ago, Amadia said:

My question tho, was student loan debt being paid in increments or not at all and was the US spouse hiding out in UK to avoid payments? 😕 

This.

1 hour ago, SCOREAU said:

Call me selfish, but giving everything up here to move to more debt would be a silly choice.

Hmmm I really don’t like this “giving up everything” talk. I hear it a lot here like you are making a huge sacrifice. You’re not giving up everything. You’re gaining everything. You’re gaining a life together with the person you live more than anyone else in the world. That’s the most wonderful gain. It’s for your happiness too. If you think you are making a sacrifice going into the marriage or into a chapter of married life, then something is wrong. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

3 minutes ago, JFH said:

Hmmm I really don’t like this “giving up everything” talk. I hear it a lot here like you are making a huge sacrifice. You’re not giving up everything. You’re gaining everything. You’re gaining a life together with the person you live more than anyone else in the world. That’s the most wonderful gain. It’s for your happiness too. If you think you are making a sacrifice going into the marriage or into a chapter of married life, then something is wrong. 

No, you have it all wrong. I want what is best for my wife and daughter. Here, we have a good life, and I am loath to jeopardise that. I think my daughter will be better off here. Yes, family over there but they managed without us, and will continue to do so. I have a son , mother, grandchildren and they would cope without me. This is about my wife and daughter not suffering financially - and me.

Just now, SCOREAU said:

No, you have it all wrong. I want what is best for my wife and daughter. Here, we have a good life, and I am loath to jeopardise that. I think my daughter will be better off here. Yes, family over there but they managed without us, and will continue to do so. I have a son , mother, grandchildren and they would cope without me. This is about my wife and daughter not suffering financially - and me.

Here we have healthcare, money, property and no financial worries. If that is considered immaterial, and visiting family with their own lives is paramount, then I might have my priorities skewed.....It seems.

1 minute ago, SCOREAU said:

How would she be "suffering financially" if she were required to pay off a debt that she BORROWED willingly for her own education?!  I guess I'm suffering financially by being expected to pay off my mortgage, but yet I continue to do so......

2 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

Why walk back into a lion's den?

So I take it you don't think debts need to be repaid?

3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

How would she be "suffering financially" if she were required to pay off a debt that she BORROWED willingly for her own education?!  I guess I'm suffering financially by being expected to pay off my mortgage, but yet I continue to do so......

4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Good for you.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/default   <-----  Just in case you thought there were no consequences for defaulting on student loans in the US.

1 hour ago, gregcrs2 said:

Hope you realize family and money usually don't mix well.  And "we" would not be buying a house, it would be you buying it.  I just see potential problems.  Maybe she should go live with her parents for a while.  I know that the more I see some of my relatives, the faster I want to run away from some of them.

Good point. It's all to do with financial security and what's best for our daughter. Family are vital, but they don't come before clear and present financial stability. It's a cruel world.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.