SCOREAU

US spouse has student debt. If I move there, am I liable?

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, SCOREAU said:

We have a house, I have a good job. I have no criminal record. I can retire early. We can have a good life here, and it all feels like a bad choice. Okay, her family are there but if it all goes tits up, they won't be helping.

Me personally,   i would stay in UK 

sounds like you would be giving a lot up to come to the US / for What????

she can visit her family anytime

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

OP, I think some people may be responding based on some misconception.  To clarify, your family has been living in the UK with you for the past 10 years and they are still there with you?  Do either you or your spouse have any US assets such as house?  

Timeline
1 minute ago, gregcrs2 said:

OP, I think some people may be responding based on some misconception.  To clarify, your family has been living in the UK with you for the past 10 years and they are still there with you?  Do either you or your spouse have any US assets such as house?  

he already said she doesn't

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think the OP has valid concerns, we always think of healthcare etc, it is a big ask.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

No. Nothing. It's all here. She came with nothing.

Timeline
Just now, SCOREAU said:

No. Nothing. It's all here. She came with nothing.

The choice seems pretty obvious to me.  I would be staying in the UK.  Too many expenses to move, finding another place to live, replacing furniture, extremely expensive health care, and you may not even be happy there.  Being at early retirement age, you'd be giving up the lifetime of relationships you've developed.  If the wife is homesick, I would just let her visit her family in the USA how often she wants.  It would be much easier and less expensive then moving.

8 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

Me personally,   i would stay in UK 

sounds like you would be giving a lot up to come to the US / for What????

she can visit her family anytime

That's what I'm thinking, but she's adamant about moving there, with or without me if I'm not keen. Great! So I'd have to get accommodation here and support her and my daughter. Back to square 1.

The choice seems pretty obvious to me.  I would be staying in the UK.  Too many expenses to move, finding another place to live, replacing furniture, extremely expensive health care, and you may not even be happy there.  Being at early retirement age, you'd be giving up the lifetime of relationships you've developed.  If the wife is homesick, I would just let her visit her family in the USA how often she wants.  It would be much easier and less expensive then moving.

Yes. It all makes sense. I'm made to feel guilty about her being away from her family.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
25 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

It has everything to do with my retiring early, being free of debt, and providing for my wife and daughter, who is settled here anyway - and not moving to a country that, apart from having no public healthcare, would be our final life decision in terms of where we live. I'm through with debt. It's called being sensible.

She has nothing over there, apart from student debt and family.

You aren't free of debt if your spouse has debt. From a legal standpoint, it isn't your debt, but as a married couple, you guys need to get on that. I paid off my husband's loans when we got married (the interest rate on them was crazy). Now, we pay off my student debt together. Who knows whose money it is when it goes into the joint checking and it doesn't matter.

It is also our only debt and that doesn't bother me.

Just now, SCOREAU said:

That's what I'm thinking, but she's adamant about moving there, with or without me if I'm not keen. Great! So I'd have to get accommodation here and support her and my daughter. Back to square 1.

So, you are thinking about separating then?  Explains the lack of interest in paying for loans.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

13 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

We are buying a cheap house off her brother, so we will have somewhere.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like you really know the answer and are looking for confirmation, a not practical plan and you will be the one picking up the problems when it falls apart.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, N-o-l-a said:

You aren't free of debt if your spouse has debt. From a legal standpoint, it isn't your debt, but as a married couple, you guys need to get on that. I paid off my husband's loans when we got married (the interest rate on them was crazy). Now, we pay off my student debt together. Who knows whose money it is when it goes into the joint checking and it doesn't matter.

It is also our only debt and that doesn't bother me.

So, you are thinking about separating then?  Explains the lack of interest in paying for loans.

No. I'm not that sort of person. I'm just thinking about a quiet retirement, rather than being saddled with debt and more woes beyond the usual ones we all experience in life.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

Yes. It all makes sense. I'm made to feel guilty about her being away from her family.

why?   and Don't

it was her decision to move there

women are good at making men feel guility and you guys are so gullible

you need health care here (expensive) 

think of all of this

and i would not let her take your daughter out of the UK

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

We are buying a cheap house off her brother, so we will have somewhere.

Hope you realize family and money usually don't mix well.  And "we" would not be buying a house, it would be you buying it.  I just see potential problems.  Maybe she should go live with her parents for a while.  I know that the more I see some of my relatives, the faster I want to run away from some of them.

1 hour ago, Roel said:

you'd rather stay separately than move in and help her pay off her debt?

OP stated - In the process of applying to move to usa as the uk spouse of a us citizen who has been in uk for a decade.

So it was not a case of staying apart but rather staying in the UK as opposed to coming to the US.

My question tho, was student loan debt being paid in increments or not at all and was the US spouse hiding out in UK to avoid payments? 😕 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.