SCOREAU

US spouse has student debt. If I move there, am I liable?

105 posts in this topic

I know I am a little late in the game with a response...But I sound exactly like your wife. HAHAHA >_<

I am the USC who has student debt too and living abroad in Switzerland with my husband. My student loans are being handled by a lawyer right now to make a deal about reducing the % or we come to an arrangement where I pay an X amount in cash. Therefore it has been deferred. 

I am a stay at home mom, but filed taxes in the USA through an accountant based in the US. (I did not have a job here. All I have are properties and my student debt in the USA). Also my husband allocated X amount for my USA bills (netflix, amazon, etc.). 

Our life is definitely comfortable in Switzerland because of my husband's job and I know he will be giving that all up to move to the USA with me. I am just unhappy here. Therefore my husband is also making the sacrifice too. If it happens to go up in flames, I know that I have to be 110% there for my spouse. 

However, I am actually getting a head start by moving myself and our son over and working as we go through the process.

Maybe your wife can go on ahead and settle down??? Try to look for a job that meets the income requirement.

I know that you are in the latter stages, but the initiative may help. 

Also, I think it is very nice of you to give up everything for your family. I hope that you will find happiness over in the state side. :)

15 minutes ago, HuberKimFamily said:

I know I am a little late in the game with a response...But I sound exactly like your wife. HAHAHA >_<

I am the USC who has student debt too and living abroad in Switzerland with my husband. My student loans are being handled by a lawyer right now to make a deal about reducing the % or we come to an arrangement where I pay an X amount in cash. Therefore it has been deferred. 

I am a stay at home mom, but filed taxes in the USA through an accountant based in the US. (I did not have a job here. All I have are properties and my student debt in the USA). Also my husband allocated X amount for my USA bills (netflix, amazon, etc.). 

Our life is definitely comfortable in Switzerland because of my husband's job and I know he will be giving that all up to move to the USA with me. I am just unhappy here. Therefore my husband is also making the sacrifice too. If it happens to go up in flames, I know that I have to be 110% there for my spouse. 

However, I am actually getting a head start by moving myself and our son over and working as we go through the process.

Maybe your wife can go on ahead and settle down??? Try to look for a job that meets the income requirement.

I know that you are in the latter stages, but the initiative may help. 

Also, I think it is very nice of you to give up everything for your family. I hope that you will find happiness over in the state side. :)

It's all very emotive. We had our house up for sale ( had a buyer ), but I took it off because I was literally halfway through the process and it didn't seem the right moment. We have decided this: my wife and daughter ate going over for a month, to suss it all out, get a feel for it, see how my daughter reacts, check out the house we would buy from her sibling, and in the meantime I will pursue the spouse visa as it stands, and if it gets accepted, then fine, and if it doesn't, we'll see about them going over there to settle while I carry on working to support them and take it from there. I have to give my wife hope; I am trying to just not open us up to financial ruin at the end of the day.  I'm a typical Englishman who just wants to do things the right way and not place us in a bad situation and less stability for our daughter.

I am really trying. I am living with the problems every day, and it weighs heavily on my conscience because I just want to do the right thing ultimately.

Edited by SCOREAU

Just now, SCOREAU said:

It's all very emotive. We had our house up for sale ( had a buyer ), but I took it off because I was literally halfway through the process and it didn't seem the right moment. We have decided this: my wife and daughter ate going over for a month, to suss it all out, get a feel for it, see how my daughter reacts, check out the house we would buy from her sibling, and in the meantime I will pursue the spouse visa as it stands, and if it gets accepted, then fine, and if it doesn't, we'll see about them going over there to settle while I carry on working to support them and take it from there. I have to give my wife hope; I am trying to just not open us up to financial ruin at the end of the day.  I'm a typical Englishman who just wants to do things the right way and not place us in a bad situation and less stability for our daughter.

I am really trying.

My husband is the same way like you. I think that is the more reasonable road to take. One should not throw themselves under the bus and be in financial ruin. You made the right choice to hold onto the house and letting your wife and daughter go over. Hopefully she will find a job quickly.

Maybe have her apply for jobs and do Skype interviews? I did that for my job and it was a hassle, but I also felt like I needed a job before moving a family back to the states. 

I am not sure what your occupation is but it definitely will be a bit hard until you get the green card or just job hunting in general. So not sure how high on the list being a SAHF (Stay at home Father) is for you. But definitely look into the job avenues. 

I am hoping for my husband's sake that HQ in Switzerland will allow a branch transfer or something. If not, fires will be lit in our household >_<.  Not literally.

But yes, take things step by step! DO NOT GO INTO FINANCIAL RUIN~

1 hour ago, HuberKimFamily said:

My husband is the same way like you. I think that is the more reasonable road to take. One should not throw themselves under the bus and be in financial ruin. You made the right choice to hold onto the house and letting your wife and daughter go over. Hopefully she will find a job quickly.

Maybe have her apply for jobs and do Skype interviews? I did that for my job and it was a hassle, but I also felt like I needed a job before moving a family back to the states. 

I am not sure what your occupation is but it definitely will be a bit hard until you get the green card or just job hunting in general. So not sure how high on the list being a SAHF (Stay at home Father) is for you. But definitely look into the job avenues. 

I am hoping for my husband's sake that HQ in Switzerland will allow a branch transfer or something. If not, fires will be lit in our household >_<.  Not literally.

But yes, take things step by step! DO NOT GO INTO FINANCIAL RUIN~

No, I plan on not working. I have 35 years worth of pensions, the proceeds of house sale and on that alone we would meet the income/assets required. I do not want to work, and don't need to. My wife can get a job if she wants, so call it fair dos, seeing as I'm fine with moving there and leaving uk behind. I'll get a green card, but will just be living on pensions etc. I just want to have a few years of work-free enjoyment; hanging out with my family and hers, and not be a wage slave anymore. It's not too much to ask. I'm not high maintenance, and will spend some time doing up the house and eventually maybe move to the coast somewhere. Pensions will be taxed in uk, so I'll be fine in that respect, I think ( spoke to HMRC).

Edited by SCOREAU

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

No, I plan on not working. I have 35 years worth of pensions, the proceeds of house sale and on that alone we would meet the income/assets required. I do not want to work, and don't need to. My wife can get a job if she wants, so call it fair dos, seeing as I'm fine with moving there and leaving uk behind. I'll get a green card, but will just be living on pensions etc. I just want to have a few years of work-free enjoyment; hanging out with my family and hers, and not be a wage slave anymore. It's not too much to ask. I'm not high maintenance, and will spend some time doing up the house and eventually maybe move to the coast somewhere. Pensions will be taxed in uk, so I'll be fine in that respect, I think ( spoke to HMRC).

I'm early retired and loving it for 6 years already.  I understand you completely!  Have you considered anything relating to health insurance?  

4 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

I'm early retired and loving it for 6 years already.  I understand you completely!  Have you considered anything relating to health insurance?  

Looked into it already. I am aware it is expensive. My daughter's covered till 18. It's not a good situation over there, I appreciate. We'll work it out somehow. I'm only planning on getting residence and will keep my uk citizenship, for now. We'll just deal with it like others do, somehow.

Average cost is about 16000 dollars a year, so a sizeable sum! Still, there are 'free' hospitals around.

Edited by SCOREAU

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
8 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

Looked into it already. I am aware it is expensive. My daughter's covered till 18. It's not a good situation over there, I appreciate. We'll work it out somehow. I'm only planning on getting residence and will keep my uk citizenship, for now. We'll just deal with it like others do, somehow.

Others have options you will not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

You may wish to look into the tax situation, it is complicated.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, SCOREAU said:

Average cost is about 16000 dollars a year, so a sizeable sum! Still, there are 'free' hospitals around.

Just so that you know, you will not lose your UK citizenship if you become a US citizen UNLESS you specifically renounce it. 

But seriously do not go without health insurance - even if you think you won't need it. The costs of even basic medical care are unbelievable here. All it would take was one car accident and a couple of broken limbs or a 3-day hospital stay and you'd be looking at bills of hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SCOREAU said:

I checked with HMRC and they said as I'm taxed in UK, I would be okay, because the money I get will already be taxed at source.

I appreciate that, how the US treats it as the US taxes you on your worldwide income, now there are credits etc but like I say it is complicated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.