SpaceAge

Beware bad information on AOS deadline for K1 (fresh out of jail)

125 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

Would it make much of a difference? Sometimes I wonder if all embassies need to make the foreign spouse go to a training course ''new life in America'' and tell them what's required... it's clear some USCs certainly aren't taking responsibility to inform or help their new spouses, either out of ignorance themselves or neglect.

I mean my husband with years of driving under his belt had to sit for a 3hr 'lecture' of some guy in a room showing slides telling him not to 'drink and drive' just to get his license. $30 for the pleasure of that boredom. The guy was practically falling asleep too. But common sense is common sense. Maybe the US just needs to make immigration matters blatently obvious.

I agree with this.

no offense to those who do this, but it boggles my mind when the foreign fiancé is the poster but then can’t speak to us or understand what we’re saying because English isn’t their first language. When we ask for them to bring their USC fiancé to VJ, we get told that the USC doesn’t have time or some reason that really just isn’t a good reason.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

19 hours ago, Boiler said:

I have heard of Facebook groups but never went looking for any, on here one advantage is that if misleading info is published it will usually be picked up.

Current income is what counts.

Yeah there are a number of FB groups that put out bad information, even the Reddit Immigration is pretty bad. Then when you call them on it you get deleted and blocked from that page. Even the Filipino pages like Visa Approved have alot of bad information on it. 

18 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Like the recent poster who was almost boasting about waiting five years to file for AOS, and how it didn't put his wife at risk at all.....smh.....

What thread is that?

12 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah there are a number of FB groups that put out bad information, even the Reddit Immigration is pretty bad. Then when you call them on it you get deleted and blocked from that page. Even the Filipino pages like Visa Approved have alot of bad information on it. 

What thread is that?

VisaJourney

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post removed for changing the language in a quote to non English. You cannot change another members quote as that is a TOS Violation and it is English only outside the Regional forum.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

For the sake of comparison Colorado has 2 types of ID and DL, one for those who can show legal status and one for those who can not, so ID without the magic words would be easy to spot.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Wow this is incredibly terrifying, I just took my wife’s cell and took pictures of her K1 visa, K1 visa stamp, I-485 NOA, SS Card, Passport bio page and birth certificate.

on a side note we did receive her bio appointment today to fingerprint. Now we are waiting on EAD so she can get her drivers license.

as middleman pointed out ‘authorized stay’ and ‘out of legal status’ are two different thing....note to self my wife is waiting on green card and she is out of status but authorized stay....so sorry to hear about OP situation. Keep your he’s up!

Edited by LarryHickman

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
10 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Ben&Zian made this point earlier.

Far too many K-1 couples fail to allocate dedicated funds in advance for the beneficiary's AOS.

Something always comes up:  "our car broke down, we had to move apartments, yak yak yak."

There's a difference between what's urgent and what's important.  Budget in advance for both.

Immigration status is deadly serious stuff.

I took no chances with Mrs. T-B.'s relevant safety:  this thread talks about encountering CBP at TSA checkpoints but can also apply to police stops:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/562879-cbp-at-tsa-airport-checkpoints-why-theyre-there-how-best-to-handle/#entry7784682

Perhaps the overarching lesson is to become a knowledgeable student of the entire immigration process, through naturalization.

A dependent lesson is to avoid undertaking the immigration process at all unless adequate funds will be available for each phase.  This includes the petitioner's having to appear at the beneficiary's second (Stokes) visa interview, as I and all of my contemporaries were ordered to do by the rogue, ####### Guayaquil consulate.  This unplanned, mandatory requirement cost each of us thousands of extra dollars in urgent travel expense, legal fees, and lost income.

The legal-immigration process is not for the impatient, the unschooled, the careless, the blithe, or the financially insecure.  Some of these groups might be helped by the linked thread above.

Such a valid point. While it's difficult to predict the costs of some things, and some things may cheaper than expected (plane tickets on offer, for example) it's best to overestimate. People look at the USCIS filing fees and don't take other things in to account.

Another member seemed surprised when I mentioned how much this process has cost us so far. I have kept a spreadsheet of all immigration related costs since we started this process. We predicted a total of 10,000 GBP/ 13,000 USD for me and my son emigrate. We have just received our Conditional Green Cards and the total so far is 11,900 GBP/ 14,689 USD. This has included getting a court order to permanently remove my son from the UK (I represented myself in court, no lawyers fees), shipping, travel expenses for all immigration related appointments, etc., etc. Some people can choose to bring less if they can. I think that's impossible with a special needs child (my son is special needs) that needs their possessions and the comfort of that familiarity to help them adjust in their new home. My son is over 14 so all his USCIS fees are the adult rate, so we basically paid the price of two K1s. If the fees stay at the current rate then by the end of the ROC the grand total for us will be 12,943 GBP/ 16,050 USD. We are going overestimate the fees to be safe. 

Needless to say, immigration is expensive. Throw in a few unfortunate events and you can quickly find yourself in a dangerous position. As Benjamin Franklin said, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.” 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 hours ago, VNN said:

There has been always a risk associated with not adjusting the status in timely manner.  Many do not take it too seriously because the chance of getting caught is slim and you, unluckily, just happen to be in this slim chance.

To have a good sleep, many  people in VJ advise to file as soon as possible as you never know you can be in bad situation.

When I wife got in to the airport for processing in the US, she, like any other 'K-1"'s were separated and was told that it was VERY importand that they should file for their AOS as soon as they can after getting married. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
5 hours ago, SRNCR said:

What really perplexes me is the thought that they just had to get married, with no mention of when they could adjust. People would still be here years later with no consequences if that was the case. I do feel for OP though, to go through the proper channels and then get arrested would be terrifying. 

Someone just posted last week how he filed 5 years later to AOS and there was no issues. That was an interesting thread indeed.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello,

I am so sorry for what happened. It is a terrible unfortunate story.

Although, I was in fact told by the CBP officer when I entered that I needed to file for AoS asap.

Now, I have a question. I filed for AoS on December. But I don't have EAD/AP yet.

I do have though the SSN and Washington DL. Is the DL enough of ID when I go around? Or do I need to carry also my passport and my NOA1 letter? Soon I will be going to Utah and Idaho (by car - no flights). Can i just carry my WA DL?

And for when I will be able to leave the US for vacation, Passport and AP is enough? or need the NOA1 letter too?

Thank you

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
5 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Someone just posted last week how he filed 5 years later to AOS and there was no issues. That was an interesting thread indeed.

That makes sense really. Once you're married to a USC pretty much anything is forgiven except in this circumstance where they get caught. They wouldnt need a waiver because the underlying petition is already approved. Crazy times.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
4 minutes ago, SRNCR said:

Once you're married to a USC pretty much anything is forgiven

but at what cost...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
16 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

but at what cost...

And also it is not true, quite a few things could get you in trouble.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

22 minutes ago, SRNCR said:

They wouldnt need a waiver because the underlying petition is already approved. Crazy times.

Any waiver would have nothing to do with the petition.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.