SpaceAge

Beware bad information on AOS deadline for K1 (fresh out of jail)

125 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have heard of Facebook groups but never went looking for any, on here one advantage is that if misleading info is published it will usually be picked up.

Current income is what counts.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Were you driving with your UK license? Did you get a “driving without a valid license” charge also? Most states require you to obtain a state license within 30 days of taking residency there. Or even less. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

15 minutes ago, missileman said:

There are no advantages to delaying filing for adjustment of status........

I was not delaying it. I had it completed. The delays were both from outside sources to make sure the pack had all the documents they needed which were the marriage licence and tax form. I should have just posted without and got an RFE with hindsight had I known this deadline that is not clear on USCIS existed

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I have heard of Facebook groups but never went looking for any, on here one advantage is that if misleading info is published it will usually be picked up.

Current income is what counts.

Thats why i included the link to Rapid Visa on the original post as that site comes up first on most google searches. I wanted people to be aware. 

Current income as in ‘employed’ or as in on the current tax form we have that shows he easily met the sponsorship?

3 minutes ago, JFH said:

Were you driving with your UK license? Did you get a “driving without a valid license” charge also? Most states require you to obtain a state license within 30 days of taking residency there. Or even less. 

No i was not allowed to drive or sit my test until I had NOA1 from AOS which is why I was trying to file as quick as I could after the wedding. 

Got it. You were a passenger. Hope you weren’t injured! 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You will find plenty of RapidVisa horror stories on this forum.

You have to file taxes

You have to show income, do not mix them up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Ya the big issue is, is you’re out of status after 90 days. What ever you do between that 91st day and filing is on you.

the completed packet doesn’t matter, the only way you hold limbo status is with the NOA saying they received your I-485 form.

note we filed a couple of weeks after the 90 days expired but we were aware of the risks and what could happen. 

you are NOT required to file within the 90 days but if you don’t want a lapse in your legal status in the country it’s recommended that you should.

since you’re not required to file they are not required to put up that information. USCIS tends to expect everyone to know how their visas work.

Edited by Ash.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well minus the obvious issue and dilemma it caused you, it's nice to hear police and border patrol working together for once. Hope you get your issue resolved quickly.

But will say, it isn't so much bad advice online or lack there of, when you enter the US on the K-1, the visa is voided and you are legally present wth the I-94, when it expires, so does your legal status, somewhat common sense.

And while obviously jail time and bond money is a huge ordeal, for myself it's good they are taking things more seriously than just "catch and release"....

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, SpaceAge said:

I was not delaying it. I had it completed. The delays were both from outside sources to make sure the pack had all the documents they needed which were the marriage licence and tax form. I should have just posted without and got an RFE with hindsight had I known this deadline that is not clear on USCIS existed

I really wasn't directing my post toward your case specifically.  It's just that we sometimes see people who just wait for seemly unimportant reasons.  I am you glad have warned others about the real danger.   I hope you get this situation straightened out soon.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

13 minutes ago, SLV123 said:

What does the police officer check to know whether the I-485 is filed on time?

When you file I485 its generally recommended to carry your I485 Noa1 receipt notice along with your foreign passport to prove you had legal entry (your K1 stamp) and to prove you have a pending AOS application. It's not that in this case that it wasnt filed on time but that it wasnt filed and the OP was out of status. 

The OP had no receipt notice and the passport would prove when US entry happened by looking at the K1 stamp.

1 hour ago, SpaceAge said:

I think until i get my next court date I just have to wait to see that they will approve it but theyve held onto my passport and Uk drivers licence so I have no photo ID at all now which I thought was a crime in itself so im scared to leave the house.

Is it actually legal for a "foreign" government to take away your government issued id's and passport? It doesn't sound right. 

Edited by little immigrant

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This is why high priority for us was to apply for SSN right away, and then use that to get State ID. No carrying scarlet letter of a foreign passport. No worries about NOAs, or what random peace officers might or might not know. 

NOA1 for AOS taking 10 days on average. So my daughter’s fiancé should carry what during that 10 day period? Is the SSN sufficient,  or should I tell him not to leave the house?  Being facetious but this is ridiculous!

Additionally I have read the I-485 instructions  and nowhere does it say inthe section clearly labeled “WHEN TO FILE” that it must be filed within 90 days,; the only clear direction is for the K-1 to marry within that time frame. The zeal to arrest is astonishing.

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

It come up on this forum every now and then and every time people are told to file within the 90 days.

K1 is good for 90 days and then you are out of status.

Like the recent poster who was almost boasting about waiting five years to file for AOS, and how it didn't put his wife at risk at all.....smh.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.