Kratos

Visa Refusal: Kindly explain where I went wrong?

100 posts in this topic

Ok visa was refused today. Goes like this 

V.O : Good Morning 
Me : Good Morning to you sir
V.O : Let me have your Passport 
Me : ** Hands over Passport 
V.O : Why do you want to go to the USA ?
Me : I am going to the US for an Offshore technology Conference
V.O : **Quiet for sometime , OK Do you have relations in the USA?
Me : No I don't
V.O : Are You married ?
Me : No I am not
V.O : Do you have a Child ?
V.O : Have you travelled outside Nigeria before?
Me : No I haven't
V.O : **Types for sometime, Ok /sir You do not Qualify for this visa at this time

Uh where did I go wrong? Man didnt ask for Documents , nothing else just these and he served me 214b Blue paper. I am still trying to wonder why this is so. I am from Nigeria

Edited by Kratos

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Kratos said:

Ok visa was refused today. Goes like this 

V.O : Good Morning 
Me : Good Morning to you sir
V.O : Let me have your Passport 
Me : ** Hands over Passport 
V.O : Why do you want to go to the USA ?
Me : I am going to the US for an Offshore technology Conference
V.O : **Quiet for sometime , OK Do you have relations in the USA?
V.O : Are You married ?
Me : No I am not
V.O : Do you have a Child ?
V.O : Have you travelled outside Nigeria before?
Me : No I haven't
V.O : **Types for sometime, Ok /sir You do not Qualify for this visa at this time

Uh where did I go wrong? I am from Nigeria

what did you present to show strong ties to your country?

you have no kids, not married

do you have a home? work? school? 

family obligations that would require you to return back to your country?

sometimes this happens if you can't show strong enough ties to your country with intent to return.

Just now, Khallaf said:

what did you present to show strong ties to your country?

you have no kids, not married

do you have a home? work? school? 

family obligations that would require you to return back to your country?

sometimes this happens if you can't show strong enough ties to your country with intent to return.

He did not even allow me to show documents for my Landed Properties , Job etc. Nothing . Man just handed over the blue paper 214b

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kratos said:

He did not even allow me to show documents for my Landed Properties , Job etc. Nothing . Man just handed over the blue paper 214b

that unfortunately happens all too often, unless your situation changes, IE you get married have a child, start a business not saying those things are needed but unless the situation changes from what it is now, likelihood if you ever tried to apply for a visit visa again will likely end in the same result.

I have a friend in Egypt who owns his own business, has his own home, and is a doctor and he was also denied to attend a conference in USA to speak about his profession

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Kratos said:

Was all that information documented on the DS160?  If so, then I expect the CO already considered it.  As @arken mentioned the issue with B1/B2 refusals is deep rooted in many many past issues with others from many different countries.  As discussed many times in the media, the largest group of illegal immigrants in the US are not from border crossings, but from visa overstays including visitor visas.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Was all that information documented on the DS160?  If so, then I expect the CO already considered it.  As @arken mentioned the issue with B1/B2 refusals is deep rooted in many many past issues with others from many different countries.  As discussed many times in the media, the largest group of illegal immigrants in the US are not from border crossings, but from visa overstays including visitor visas.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your time. I dont remember seeing Landed properties in the DS-160. I came with my own documents to show that and i still do wonder why he didnt ask for that , else I would have shown it to him. I filled the questions there as I saw it.

Its fine. Probably i have learnt a lesson or two here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Kratos said:

Thanks for your time. I dont remember seeing Landed properties in the DS-160. I came with my own documents to show that and i still do wonder why he didnt ask for that , else I would have shown it to him. I filled the questions there as I saw it.

The CO has no obligation to look at any documents brought during the interview.  Based on the questions asked, it seems he already made a decision on your application based on your DS-160.  Unfortunately, your profile did not convince him that you would not overstay if you were granted a visa.

Note that the B visa refusal rate for Nigeria for 2018 is 57.47%.  That's a very high bar to overcome 🙁

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

in your supporting evidence ,  did you include proof of registration for the May 2019 conference along with hotel reservations?

any supporting evidence your employer wanted you to attend?

Are you a member of one of OTC's sponsoring organizations?

My son worked 20 years in  this field and with over 100 countries being represented at the conference ,  we know how important it is

Ghana and Nigeria must keep up with the new digital and automation that is needed for offshore  drilling and you had the chance when making the application to

provide additional evidence of the importance to attend 

you can try to apply again with this proof and proof you own property and have a steady job in this field as the conference is coming fast

if you haven't registered,   then do so and make hotel reservations (they can always be cancelled)

Just now, adil-rafa said:

in your supporting evidence ,  did you include proof of registration for the May 2019 conference along with hotel reservations?

any supporting evidence your employer wanted you to attend?

Are you a member of one of OTC's sponsoring organizations?

My son worked 20 years in  this field and with over 100 countries being represented at the conference ,  we know how important it is

Ghana and Nigeria must keep up with the new digital and automation that is needed for offshore  drilling and you had the chance when making the application to

provide additional evidence of the importance to attend 

you can try to apply again with this proof and proof you own property and have a steady job in this field as the conference is coming fast

if you haven't registered,   then do so and make hotel reservations (they can always be cancelled)

:) I had that in my Ds-160.

Visa officer did not even ask for any form of Documentation. He just handed over a Blue paper like we had a Fight earlier.

1 hour ago, Kratos said:

The job would be declared on the DS-160, so that was considered already.

Properties are generally very weak ties...not exactly hard to sell or rent them while abroad, or return to them later to take care of them. Also, the CO doesn't have the ability to verify documentation on the spot.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything that can be done. You didn't do something wrong...you just didn't qualify for the visa.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

not just saying it but providing proof you were registered ?

always need supporting documentation for immigration

OTC sends an offical letter of invitation showing registration for international attendees 

i volunteered for one of the New Orlean's conferences so i know the process

OTC trys to help all who want to attend 

Just now, adil-rafa said:

not just saying it but providing proof you were registered ?

always need supporting documentation for immigration

OTC sends an offical letter of invitation showing registration for international attendees 

i volunteered for one of the New Orlean's conferences so i know the process

OTC trys to help all who want to attend 

I feel it was the issue of me not travelling before. :D I don't get to see if Marriage should be forced down the throat of people , my take is V.O asked 3 questions and I fumbled at all three. -> Marriage , Child, traveled before..

He never asked me about my Job he saw my ID around my neck, his anger was if i am married , If i have a child and if i have traveled.  Having replied not in the affirmative, Man gave me a Blue sheet 214b. He saw the company i work for and all. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If there is a Conference next year perhaps try again? Gte in some more travel to other Conferences in the mean time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.