Kratos

Visa Refusal: Kindly explain where I went wrong?

100 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

FYI  

applications are reviewed before the interview

that is why the information and documentation you present with your application is important

Just my opinion but i feel the decision is made on the paperwork presented with application

There should have been others from Nigeria attending and if you had searched your field (which is a limited amount of people and easy to know most), you could have arranged to be part of a group

remember that for next year 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Kratos said:

I feel it was the issue of me not travelling before. :D I don't get to see if Marriage should be forced down the throat of people , my take is V.O asked 3 questions and I fumbled at all three. -> Marriage , Child, traveled before..

He never asked me about my Job he saw my ID around my neck, his anger was if i am married , If i have a child and if i have traveled.  Having replied not in the affirmative, Man gave me a Blue sheet 214b. He saw the company i work for and all. 

Nobody's forcing marriage down people's throats, and I doubt he was angry at you for not being married.

It's all about proving your intent to return home and not overstay. Most of the time, if someone has a family left in their home country depending on them and expecting them back, they seem less likely to be an overstay concern. This is why they ask those questions.

In my personal opinion, the fact that you hadn't traveled to the US before wasn't necessarily a deal breaker on its own, but perhaps they were looking for a prior visit history showing you've obeyed a tourist visa in the past and have not overstayed before. I think it's more so a lack of solid evidence, not so much a presentation of poor or negative evidence. Just not enough supporting ties to your home country, unfortunately.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 minute ago, adil-rafa said:

FYI  

applications are reviewed before the interview

that is why the information and documentation you present with your application is important

Just my opinion but i feel the decision is made on the paperwork presented with application

There should have been others from Nigeria attending and if you had searched your field (which is a limited amount of people and easy to know most), you could have arranged to be part of a group

remember that for next year 

^^Also a good point.

Most of the time, if they don't ask about something or ask to see something you have, more than likely they've already reviewed that and it's already been factored into the decision.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

COs look at the totality of ties. Having a spouse or kids is no guarantee of a visa, people leave behind their families all too often. 

Any CO would wonder why is the company sending you to a not-too-critical of a conference unless you've been working for that company for several years and have a relatively senior position. Why send you to the US. Would you have gone if the conference was in, say Guinea and not in the US?

And as others have noted, your fellow Nigerians don't exactly have a stellar reputation about returning home from the US in the past. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Not enough strong ties to your country. Sorry to say but some countries are harder than others to issue visas. I know he didn’t ask to see your documents but no wife or kids -sounds like he made his decision based on that and however you filled your application.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline

This conference may be lost to you so prepare for next year

join one of the supporting organizations

http://www.otcnet.org/organizations

get all your ducks in a row

don't wait till February or March to apply for the visa

usually they vote on and decide the city and date for the next year before the end of this conference

working offshore you have a booklet with all your dives ,   prepare to copy it and send next year with proof of your employment

gotta show proof you intend to return to your country

and i do know the hardest part is owning property if you don't need it

my son was living offshore on a ship or platform until he went back to college to estimate jobs and started work in the office in CT

as for right now, you can write to the speakers and ask for copies of their presentations /  most are happy to share

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Kratos said:

I feel it was the issue of me not travelling before. :D I don't get to see if Marriage should be forced down the throat of people , my take is V.O asked 3 questions and I fumbled at all three. -> Marriage , Child, traveled before..

He never asked me about my Job he saw my ID around my neck, his anger was if i am married , If i have a child and if i have traveled.  Having replied not in the affirmative, Man gave me a Blue sheet 214b. He saw the company i work for and all. 

not traveling before can be a big issue but if you had joined a group that was going and they had  attended before and returned home,  you could have helped your cause

there are presentations at the conferences from over 50 countries with attendees from over 100 

it is possible to find a group that will go

like i said "join one of the sponsoring organizations"

in your industry,  it is important to learn,  to be known and to associate with the news makers

Basically to answer your question "what did i do wrong"

you did not give enough backup documentation and proofs in your application

Edited by adil-rafa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
10 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

This conference may be lost to you so prepare for next year

join one of the supporting organizations

http://www.otcnet.org/organizations

get all your ducks in a row

don't wait till February or March to apply for the visa

usually they vote on and decide the city and date for the next year before the end of this conference

working offshore you have a booklet with all your dives ,   prepare to copy it and send next year with proof of your employment

gotta show proof you intend to return to your country

and i do know the hardest part is owning property if you don't need it

my son was living offshore on a ship or platform until he went back to college to estimate jobs and started work in the office in CT

as for right now, you can write to the speakers and ask for copies of their presentations /  most are happy to share

OP works in IT

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Boiler said:

OP works in IT

Yes i build software for Oil and Gas solution companies too. I just completed their E-learning Portal which was designed by me , hence I do not see why learning more about Naval Engineering and Offshore Engineering should be an issue. 

I have also used the Avevas, Rhinocerous5 and several other software packages in the Oil and gas industry. I have done some Simulation and Modelling as well, and I have used Aspen Hysys and all those stuff. I am not very new to them.

Trouble seems to come from my not having a travel history. I should make a trip or two before Next year. I have learnt a whole lot now. dont think i would be making that mistake again. :) 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Kratos said:

Yes i build software for Oil and Gas solution companies too. I just completed their E-learning Portal which was designed by me , hence I do not see why learning more about Naval Engineering and Offshore Engineering should be an issue. 

I have also used the Avevas, Rhinocerous5 and several other software packages in the Oil and gas industry. I have done some Simulation and Modelling as well, and I have used Aspen Hysys and all those stuff. I am not very new to them.

Trouble seems to come from my not having a travel history. I should make a trip or two before Next year. I have learnt a whole lot now. dont think i would be making that mistake again. :) 

then he should have been a member of at least one of the many organizations that support  this industry

being part of the group is important if as you say you want to learn more about Naval Engineering and offshore drilling

prepare for next year and apply for that visa well in advance

38 minutes ago, Kratos said:

hence I do not see why learning more about Naval Engineering and Offshore Engineering should be an issue.

Your reason for wanting to visit wasn't an issue. It was the lack of reasons to return home. See INA 214(b).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Just now, geowrian said:

Your reason for wanting to visit wasn't an issue. It was the lack of reasons to return home. See INA 214(b).

Yes , but he did not demand documentation. No "Let me see a letter from your Office or so.."

And worse is , he would not let you know what the worry is.

Somehow i Have to agree its the issue of me having not left the shores of my country. I have to work on that.

1 minute ago, Kratos said:

Yes , but he did not demand documentation. No "Let me see a letter from your Office or so.."

What documentation would prove your intent to return home and was not included in the DS-160? How would the CO verify this documentation on the spot?

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I remember another Poster mentioning that around the Consulate there are businesses that can produce pretty much any document you want, for a fee.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

I remember another Poster mentioning that around the Consulate there are businesses that can produce pretty much any document you want, for a fee.

Thats them, all documents I have came from My office and duly stamped. Not everyone is Fraudulent Sir. some people make honest money and sweat for it.

Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.