vscampbell

Travel back to Philippines after marriage in USA

40 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, let me ask this question.... what if we get the K1 Visa, have a ceremony in the Philippines then fly here and have a second one to satisfy the US Government. If we do that, it is not so important that we return to The Philippines until she gets her change of status???? We can manage our businesses from here for 6 months or so, and if needed I can make a quick trip there without her to deal with anything??   I'm thinking that this might be another option... but there are some weird marriage laws in Phil that come into play but I think we could work around that. Does anyone know of a couple that gets married there first after the K1 is issued?

Just now, vscampbell said:

Well, let me ask this question.... what if we get the K1 Visa, have a ceremony in the Philippines then fly here and have a second one to satisfy the US Government. If we do that, it is not so important that we return to The Philippines until she gets her change of status???? We can manage our businesses from here for 6 months or so, and if needed I can make a quick trip there without her to deal with anything??   I'm thinking that this might be another option... but there are some weird marriage laws in Phil that come into play but I think we could work around that. Does anyone know of a couple that gets married there first after the K1 is issued?

Getting married abroad then entering on a K-1 visa would be fraud.

Having a non-legal wedding celebration before entry, if discovered by CBP can result in being denied entry due to possibly being married.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 minutes ago, vscampbell said:

Not sure how they would know... we have a non legal ceremony with the family, catch a plane back to the USA.... how would they know? 

Easy, they ask.

Also, they could go through her phone or other documents and see wedding-related information.

Certainly not the first person this has happened with.

Edit: Also, background checks during AOS might stumble across something. Again, not the first time it's happened.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

This is why hundreds and hundreds of people are just moving their businesses to Asia, SMH. If my construction company was not location specific I would just leave. Never thought I would see the day when the Philippine government is LESS corrupt and broken than ours. I know an attorney that specializes in helping businesses move to Asia, he handles more than 100 every year..... 

Timeline

Well it is certain that our immigration system is completely corrupt, and I have been a building code consultant to government for many years and it is shocking how much money is funneled into the pockets of our politicians to buy influence, violate building codes, etc... our government on every level, city/ state/ federal is completely corrupt. I want to say that people would be shocked to know how much but maybe they would not be..... we did an investigation of a newly constructed high school in this state and found 8,000 building code violations. Inspectors were being bought off, and a sampling of other projects, including hospitals, showed the same thing. The attorney general wanted funding to expand the investigation state wide but the lobbyist for the general contractors spread a bunch of money around and the legislature pulled all of the funding and shut down the entire investigation. It got so bad in California that they had to change the entire building inspection process for hospitals and prisons. Truth.

Ok guys thanks, I think I have my answer. Really appreciate it.

In your case and for your purposes, the K-1 is the slowest and most expensive. Your wife wants to travel quickly after arriving in the USA - if that’s a priority the K-1 is absolutely the worst choice. 

Your best bet is to marry in the Philippines and use the DCF procedure (assuming you met the presence requirement) for a spousal visa. Your wife can then travel back to the Philippines within hours of arriving here, if she really wants. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, vscampbell said:

she doesnt need to work, we have businesses both in USA and Philippines. There has to be some way for us to travel and return??? Maybe an attorney can find a way???

without AP no. she also can NOT work without EAD

if being able to travel freely and work was a concern, you should have married and filed for a CR1

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
9 hours ago, vscampbell said:

This is why hundreds and hundreds of people are just moving their businesses to Asia, SMH. If my construction company was not location specific I would just leave. Never thought I would see the day when the Philippine government is LESS corrupt and broken than ours. I know an attorney that specializes in helping businesses move to Asia, he handles more than 100 every year..... 

You did a wrong research and didn't care to understand the process in its totality and now you blame the system and the way business are done...

Law is very specific, you CAN'T leave the US after entering on a K1 without doing the complete paperwork. You can't get married abroad and then come to the US on a K1 because that's fraud. And you might think they won't found out but it can affect you in ANY part of the process, like in 5 years if you want to settle your business in America and your fiance decides to go to citizenship path, your relationship will be scrutinized for more than just the K1 visa. So, yes, they can find out at any moment.

My suggestion, abandon K1 visa if you are not willing to follow the right procedure which is stay in USA, file AOS, and get a full residence there. And just file for a different type of visa according to your needs.

She is immigrating, she must follows the rules, you are the USC and it's your duty to assure that rules are followed as well, I'm sorry but that's the experience of moving to a country different than yours.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
11 hours ago, vscampbell said:

Im thinking there might be some kind of business visa something like that. Im sure that if Microsoft needed someone to travel around they have ways.

Employment-based GC is different.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

With this kind of outlook, US immigration is probably not going to suit you in the ways you want it to.

K1 is not a travel visa. It's a visa for someone intending on moving permanently to the country to live and marry a US citizen.

K1 is not the best option for someone who simply wants to be able to travel or and/or work in/from the US hand in hand with another country.

Whatever research you did that told you contrary to the above, was incorrect or incomplete research.

US immigration is not corrupt. Parts of it could be improved, absolutely. But there are restrictions and limitations for a reason. Thinking you or your situation makes you more important or better than anyone else is a blissfully ignorant perspective. Just as one example; to think of doing something that does not follow the rules and validate it with "how will they know?" is just asking for trouble. If you did any research at all, you'd know enough horror stories of people who thought "how will they know?" and got denied. Or banned.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.